Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am riding the stock suspension on the track and kinda getting to the end of its adjustability....

The back is bouncy like hell even after having someone working on the setting half a day.. so i got some advice saying i need to go with a harder spring. The back have never been rebuild and both frond and back are stock..

My question is if its worth it just putting a new spring front and back to my weight or if there is more i can do ? or i should just swap a ohlins (of what ever else) ? Thank you!

·
Registered
541 Posts
What do your sag numbers look like? Does the "bouncy" get worse when the shock is hot?
That year ZX10 had pretty stiff springs already, unless your over say 220 ungeared. When people say bouncy it usually means your damping is going.

As for upgrades, how much do you want to spend?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont have the number.. i guess i should work my sag myshelf instead of trusting the suspension guy... and yeah i think its worst when its hot.. everyone who saw me saw the back bouncing a lot.. and i know i can feel it ... at first i though its the tire (im running pirelli) but then they said the back is not stiff enough.. with gear im about 190 195..

As for the $$, this is why im looking... is it worth upgrading the stock suspension with part instead of swaping everything? on long terme i mean... i dont want to put 3000 $ but if i end up doing it ... im starting to race this summer...

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went on the racetech web site and that is what it gave me :

Recommended Shock Spring Rate: 9.578 kg/mm (use closest available)
Stock Shock Spring Rate: 10.0 kg/mm (stock)

What does it mean exactly?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I was running in the top section of intermediate on street tires and stock suspension. I would say if you are planning to do anything more than just the occasional trackday you may want to invest in good suspension, if you really want to get fast. Of course this is just opinion.

I am quite sure if I would ever want to get into advanced type pace, I would be at the limits of the bikes stock suspension. Just like everything else in the world, it just depends on how fast you want to go. Faster = more money lol.

(I am 195-200 in full gear also).

·
Chairman of the Board
16,056 Posts
I was running in the top section of intermediate on street tires and stock suspension. I would say if you are planning to do anything more than just the occasional trackday you may want to invest in good suspension, if you really want to get fast. Of course this is just opinion.

I am quite sure if I would ever want to get into advanced type pace, I would be at the limits of the bikes stock suspension. Just like everything else in the world, it just depends on how fast you want to go. Faster = more money lol.

(I am 195-200 in full gear also).
You still got those numbers handy?? :badteeth:

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
I would think he wants to try using your suspension settings and see how they work for him

·
Chairman of the Board
16,056 Posts
I would think he wants to try using your suspension settings and see how they work for him
:thumbsup: Yeah I was just wondering how close my set up is to yours. Im about 205 in full gear. Im ashamed to say I havent set my rear sag and done nothing with my ride height or geometry.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Gotcha lol, sorry guess I brain farted on the numbers concept. I kept mine set pretty stiff, about 25mm sag front and rear. As far as rebound etc, I honestly dont recall where I had mine set. I set it up normally as one would for basics via the bounce test, then I ended up stiffening everything up about a half a turn more on the adjusters. Sorry I dont have any exact numbers for you, but thats about where I was. I did not add any spacers, shims, or lower the forks in the triple or anything out of normal.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,056 Posts
Gotcha lol, sorry guess I brain farted on the numbers concept. I kept mine set pretty stiff, about 25mm sag front and rear. As far as rebound etc, I honestly dont recall where I had mine set. I set it up normally as one would for basics via the bounce test, then I ended up stiffening everything up about a half a turn more on the adjusters. Sorry I dont have any exact numbers for you, but thats about where I was. I did not add any spacers, shims, or lower the forks in the triple or anything out of normal.
Thanks man. Always good to hear from the faster guys especially if their on the same scooter.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Thanks man. Always good to hear from the faster guys especially if their on the same scooter.

Thanks for the compliment OR, but trust me, I am not a "fast" guy lol. I am just throwing out info in hopes that it may help, and not make it any worse for you :crackup:

·
Chairman of the Board
16,056 Posts
Thanks for the compliment OR, but trust me, I am not a "fast" guy lol. I am just throwing out info in hopes that it may help, and not make it any worse for you :crackup:
If your your running in the top of I you are doing pretty good as far as Im concerned. Looks like a night shot at maybe Homestead in your avatar??

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
If your your running in the top of I you are doing pretty good as far as Im concerned. Looks like a night shot at maybe Homestead in your avatar??

PBIR, turn 5, photo taken by Lisa :mrgreen: I added a little light embelishment with photoshop, but ive always liked this pic for some reason.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
i'd recommend getting an aftermarket rear shock first. elka is nice (i have penske), you want a triple clicker (hi and low speed adjustablility, and rebound).
after that you can determine if when you want to upgrade your fronts.

·
Registered
669 Posts
OxyG3nE,

As I told you At the track this week-end, you have a spring problem I didn't know if it was too stiff or too soft but it was clear as cristal when I saw your tire.

did you put the race values or street values on the racetech site?

I have a 10.7kg/mm on my 3rd gen ttx and it runs flawlessly. RaceTech site gave me a 10,5kg/mm target. You should try to re spring first, it will be around 150$.

if not, you can try ohlins 46 or any other brand you like, they're all good. :thumbsup:

I will put a video of the last track day online soon ;)

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Recommended Shock Spring Rate: 9.578 kg/mm (use closest available)
Stock Shock Spring Rate: 10.0 kg/mm (stock)

Thats what i get for Road Racing.. (other option is street)

So it mean i need a softer spring? ...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts