Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was hit by a cop car back in August. I broke my foot ripped my knee open lost my spleen and cut the shit out of my arm on his window. I was in ICU for 2 weeks and am now just able to walk (kinda limping). I cant move my foot 100% right now but I think I can shift. I really want to ride again but I am scared of the fucking cars now. I don't know what to do. What do you guys think? should I ride again or just sell it and wait til I move out of southern california to ride again? I have already been thinking or modding it more too I think I am crazy or something. I have been hit by two cars now and I guess you can say I am lucky I didnt die but you think thrird times a charm and I will die if it happens again.Not like my spleen is gonna ruture again lmao:beer:

·
Registered
696 Posts
Only you can make this decision, bro. There's a bunch of good guys here, but that does not make us pros when it comes to what's right for you. Dig deep and you will come up with the right answer.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
tell me you got a big ass settlement from this cop!

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
...dude, just take your time and don't rush it for starters (don't wanna re-injure yourself). And as far as whether or not you should ride again, no one here can answer that for you, only you can. IF (and I do mean IF) you decide to ride again there are some things you could prolly do to help keep this from happening again. Taking routes that have less traffic? Wearing BRIGHT gear, and riding a brightly colored bike, etc... I have a buddy who's been hit (from behind) twice by cars, and both times he was riding a black bike, with black gear (in the broad daylight). He still rides now, but chose a brightly colored bike w/ brightly colored gear...

You prolly already know this, but when pulling up to a stop @ an intersection always angle your bike into an "escape route" and keep a close eye on the cars approaching you from the rear, with the bike in gear, and with yourself being ready to move outta the way (into your escape route) if they don't appear to be stopping from behind... I'm a paranoide bastage when I ride, and have already had to pull along side of a car in front of me once already cause of a stupid babblin' college biatch that wasn't stoppin' fast enough from behind... :headshake

Whateva you decide, I wish you all the best... :helmet:

D

·
Registered
20 Posts
The only person than can set the pace is you. Don't rush it, but don't wait to long. I had a simmilar experience a few years ago. Hid a speedhump at night and was sh*t scared of riding at night. Was of biking for about a year. Had a brace on one of my legs and could not fit on the pegs.

Was a long process, but I have been steadily increasing the night rides after riding only daylight for about a year and a half.

Strongs....

·
Registered
117 Posts
The idea modding your bike is good. You love motorbikes and it will be a way to show the love. Maybe after a while you will even ride it again.

I have had a good getoff some years back. It was fairly minor really although I was lucky not to be seriously injured. I was a bit nervous on the bike for probably six to twelve months.

Just be patient. I think in time the fear will dissolve.

If not take up something safer like hanggliding...

:)

No cars up there.

Grant

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RickRoush03 said:
tell me you got a big ass settlement from this cop!
hopefully if everything goes to plan I should be able to buy a house and a truck and maybe another bike with some money left. I am sueing the county of san bernadino and the city of laguna hills. it was a ford tauras undercover car he was off duty pulled out in front of me and lied about what happened. good thing i was riding with two of my buddies who saw the whole thing and one of them almost hit the car too he got lucky and passed the fron of the car while i was cutting the turn and had no where to go. ya if i ride again which i will i am not gonna haul ass anymore except for track days. i am gonna make my bike look better too.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BigDally said:
... IF (and I do mean IF) you decide to ride again there are some things you could prolly do to help keep this from happening again. Taking routes that have less traffic? Wearing BRIGHT gear, and riding a brightly colored bike, etc... I

D
ya i should of got the green zx10r but i have a black one and they didnt total it out they fixed it back to stock. i just got it this morning and it looks sweet still lol. so i think i might just wear a reflective vest (they are gay but safe) and put some color on the bike(maybe some well placed reflective tape)

·
La Flama Blanca
7,720 Posts
It may take you awhile to ride again safely. I had a pretty bad crash 3 years ago and I am just now getting to the point I am riding more than just once or twice a month, getting a brand new 06 10R helps alot, lol. One thing though it has made me a better rider because of it, I looped my gixxer 1000 at about 70mph, i am a much more caustious rider now, I quit all that stunting stuff, and overall I am a better rider for it, does that mean that I won't crash again, no but I am pretty sure I will not loop another mint condition liter bike, I love my bikes two much to throw them down the road by my own fault.

Anyways, like everyone says start slow, no trafic take some rural road rides, and go from there, everyone is different, you may come back and feel like rossi and be good to go.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol i wish i could just take rural roads or non traffic streets But i live in southern cali and every street and freeway is packed it sucks. i think if i just take it easy and obey the law i should be ok. obeying the law is difficult for me but i think under the circumstances i need to now. thanks for the input guys really helps to know your here to help out fellow riders

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
This is a motorcyling web site, and my 2 cents may not be popular, if motorcycling keeps putting you in the hospital, you just might have to consider a new hobby, sorry, but there are alot of other things to do. Returning to motorcycling to prove that you can't be stopped, might not be the right mind set. On the other hand if you truly love the sport, get back to it, albeit with a more careful approach. Best of luck with your decision.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
shenanigans said:
ya i should of got the green zx10r but i have a black one and they didnt total it out they fixed it back to stock. i just got it this morning and it looks sweet still lol. so i think i might just wear a reflective vest (they are gay but safe) and put some color on the bike(maybe some well placed reflective tape)
...well dude, having a car pull out in front of me is my greatest fear on the street (even more so than gettin' hit from behind). Increasing one's visibility can only help....

God speed on the healin'...

D

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
beenthere said:
This is a motorcyling web site, and my 2 cents may not be popular, if motorcycling keeps putting you in the hospital, you just might have to consider a new hobby, sorry, but there are alot of other things to do. Returning to motorcycling to prove that you can't be stopped, might not be the right mind set. On the other hand if you truly love the sport, get back to it, albeit with a more careful approach. Best of luck with your decision.
Ya I have heard I probably have bad luck on a bike but I love it and I really want to ride again. I will ride in so cal for the time being till i move up to oregon. The traffic here is crazy and cars dont give a rats ass that your on a bike. I will be 24 next month and I plan on seeing 25 so I am going to be more paranoid on the street and only take routes I know and that are safe. For some reason I feel the freeway is the safest place I havent had anything bad happen or close calls on the freeway(knock on wood). Thanks again everyone for the input.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Have you ever taken an MSF course? That will help you get into the mode of defensive driving. The key is you have to unlearn what you have learned when riding a Motorcycle. It takes the fun out of riding in the streets but it's necessary to be completly defensive on the streets. You need to learn how to anticipate the unexpected or an upcoming hazard...whether you see it or not you have to visualize hazards that can happen in your mind and prepare. It's also easy on these bikes to slip from that mentality as I have from time to time hit myself in the head and get back on track. It can literaly be like a war zone when you ride in the cities.

So, I would say take a course to get you thinking again of defensive driving and proper techniques. You will know when your doing things right on the street when you already anticipated lets say a car coming out of a driveway or a car running a Red light but already anticipated it and made the proper adjustments...just a few of the signs but over time when you constantly anticipate or prepare for danger it almost becomes second nature....bottom line is you need to make some changes in your riding habbits and feel confident when riding. Good luck on what ever you chose but get ready to change.

bloo

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've been downed by cages four times. Went to the hospital twice. Once with a broken leg and the other time i nearly lost my foot.

that last time I limped up to my new bike on two canes and rode it. It had been 9 months since i had been on a bike. Mostly 'cause I was on crutches.

Don't get used to being scared, it makes you more careful.

When you're on a bike, you are invisible. Drive that way. If the cager sees you, and you know he can see you, God put him there to run you over, be more afraid!

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
BigDally said:
...dude, just take your time and don't rush it for starters (don't wanna re-injure yourself). And as far as whether or not you should ride again, no one here can answer that for you, only you can. IF (and I do mean IF) you decide to ride again there are some things you could prolly do to help keep this from happening again. Taking routes that have less traffic? Wearing BRIGHT gear, and riding a brightly colored bike, etc... I have a buddy who's been hit (from behind) twice by cars, and both times he was riding a black bike, with black gear (in the broad daylight). He still rides now, but chose a brightly colored bike w/ brightly colored gear...

You prolly already know this, but when pulling up to a stop @ an intersection always angle your bike into an "escape route" and keep a close eye on the cars approaching you from the rear, with the bike in gear, and with yourself being ready to move outta the way (into your escape route) if they don't appear to be stopping from behind... I'm a paranoide bastage when I ride, and have already had to pull along side of a car in front of me once already cause of a stupid babblin' college biatch that wasn't stoppin' fast enough from behind... :headshake

Whateva you decide, I wish you all the best... :helmet:

D

well put:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
216 Posts
bluedevil said:
Have you ever taken an MSF course? That will help you get into the mode of defensive driving. The key is you have to unlearn what you have learned when riding a Motorcycle. It takes the fun out of riding in the streets but it's necessary to be completly defensive on the streets. You need to learn how to anticipate the unexpected or an upcoming hazard...whether you see it or not you have to visualize hazards that can happen in your mind and prepare. It's also easy on these bikes to slip from that mentality as I have from time to time hit myself in the head and get back on track. It can literaly be like a war zone when you ride in the cities.

So, I would say take a course to get you thinking again of defensive driving and proper techniques. You will know when your doing things right on the street when you already anticipated lets say a car coming out of a driveway or a car running a Red light but already anticipated it and made the proper adjustments...just a few of the signs but over time when you constantly anticipate or prepare for danger it almost becomes second nature....bottom line is you need to make some changes in your riding habbits and feel confident when riding. Good luck on what ever you chose but get ready to change.

bloo
:+1:

those are wise words!

I beat myself up when I realize on occasion what could have happened that I may not have been prepared for.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yes i have taken a MSF course like 2 years ago it probably wouldnt hurt to take it again though. Plus I normally do try to anticipate a a fucked up situation but this last one was weird as it was a right hand curve and I didnt know there was a driveway at all and when I realized there was a car it was too late. That is the last time i am going to learn hard into a turn on a turn I havent taken before. I'll keep the knee dragging for the track from now on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts