Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the past few months I have been doing a lot of track days with my first gen ZX-10R and the more days I do the more problem I have with the brakes. I already have SS lines, changed the whole brake fluid, bleed the brakes a couple of times but it is still not what I am looking for.

I have read hunders of threads about brake problems with the first gen 10R on this forum and on others too, so I decided to start upgrading the brake system hoping that it will be better compared to what I have.

As the first step on this road I bought a radial front master cylinder off of a 2008 ZX-6R and installed it. After bleeding the whole brake system I am still far from being satisfied. My problem is that while pulling the brake lever it does not really have an obvious point where it gets hard and I can't really pull it further. Instead of this when I start pulling the lever it gets harder to pull at a place, but I am still able to pull ot further and it feels like I am trying to complress a spring. Probably my explanation was not the best one so I made a little video showing what I am trying to describe:

Could you help me what I am doing wrong? Should I continue with upgrading the front calipers? ... or it is really what this system is capable of at its best and I should upgrade it with more expensive (eg. Brembo) parts?

I would appreciate any help from those who have already went through this. :helmet:

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Change the calipers to zx14 calipers and ull be straight

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Change the calipers to zx14 calipers and ull be straight

What this guy said. I noticed that my stock 2nd gen brakes were like that.... ok for street duty but a little sketchy after 5 or 6 hard (for me) laps. I tries lines and fluid, but the ZX6/ZX14 calipers fixed it first time. Even stock compound pads were good enough after that. though I imagine that the RBF600 helps quite a bit. :)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Are there any difference between the ZX6R Nissins and the ZX14 Nissins? or are they the same caliper?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Get a brembo 19x20 master cylinder. The sponges feeling you are describing is front he smaller piston in the stock master cylinder. I believe stock is a 16

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get a brembo 19x20 master cylinder. The sponges feeling you are describing is front he smaller piston in the stock master cylinder. I believe stock is a 16
Actually the stock master cylinder was 14mm and now with the upgraded ZX6R master it is 16mm.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Imho there's nothing wrong with the Tokico calipers on the Gen 1.They need a good master cylinder to make them squeeze better. The Nissan master cylinders are crap. I got a Brembo Radial M/C from a late model R1. 170 bucks new from Yamaha who own brembo BTW, braided lines and good brake fluid and the brakes are amazing. The bike is track only now. When I made the bike track only. I added Galfer Superbike Rotors and Pads which really gave more stopping power and better feel.

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Speaking of just retarded brakes, I just got done taking the clutch bracket and lever and my. Stock master cyl inder and lever off snd swapped them to the gsxr bec its master cylinder had a leak and ofcourse the gsxr levers wouldnt fit on the kawi MC. It wont be as good as my brembo but dammit the bitch is gonna work now even a little

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just get the whole brembo kit that includes the caliper, lines, pads, rotors and master assembly. It will cost a lot but surely will make your machine stop faster and better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts