Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the inlet ducts, and they seem to have a pretty small entrance, thus, probably reducing intake efficiency.
Have you ever consider the idea of cutting, lets say, from the entrance to the middle to make the entrance hole larger, or cutting the complete duct at all up to the seal that fits in the frame holes to have the larger entrance possible?

Would this harm the flow in any way, to the point of rendering this mod useless?
What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
This has been talked about before and if I remember right the results weren't all that the person was hoping for. Do a search through some of the older posts and you may find it.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Ya two that.
Should do some searches on this one. Been talked about.

If I remember correctly. The modifications made also relulted in future cracking on the duct.
Also arguments about pressure changed in the tube I believe.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I have torn my ducts out and there is not really anything "to cut" in the ducts.

They are made out of a flexible rubber so there is not alot of trimmable areas in them. the only thing in them is a upright rib that runs down the middle of them to keep the duct from collapsing.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have torn my ducts out and there is not really anything "to cut" in the ducts.

They are made out of a flexible rubber so there is not alot of trimmable areas in them. the only thing in them is a upright rib that runs down the middle of them to keep the duct from collapsing.
correct.

and the duct is shaped the way it is to increase intake air velocity. they flow more than enough air for a 1 liter engine to breath.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
They don't spend millions in R&D for nothing.
You do realize these bikes are down played for street use. If they were the same as the race bikes, there wouldn't be a "race" manual for them.

·
Registered
657 Posts
You do realize these bikes are down played for street use. If they were the same as the race bikes, there wouldn't be a "race" manual for them.
no offense, but i've read the race manual several times, and no where does it talk about changing anything with the ram air ducts.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Just because it isn't written in the race manual doesn't mean that the race teams don't mess with them. It could be one of those things that is Top Secret.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
we have done this allready i saved the file on my pc.i will bump it for you guys. its a oldy but goody.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I want to cut the whole "S" shaped tubes out to the slot that fits in the frame.
That way there´ll be the wider holes possible to reach the airbox, and the pressure that builds up in the frame at high speeds has the less restrictive way.
Am I so wrong?

The way I see is that they don´t want that much pressure built in the frame to reach freely the airbox, but I don´t guess why:dontknow:

I know everything that has been talked about velocity vs pressure, but I can´t see how this S bend tubes would benefit the intake efficiency of this bike. They seem an abortion to me.

I remenber that nice ram pipes of the ZX9 being far much better than this of the ten

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Im sawpping my 04-05 front fairings to a 06-07, for improved aerodynamics and better ram air... the ram air section is supposed to be able to hold slightly more psi in the air box... 04-05's are in the .75 psi range and 06-07's are about 1 psi....

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Garth, where did you get that info?

·
Registered
5,228 Posts

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
could explain why 06's always pull me on top, when i was on stock bore a 06 with acro FS, pc3, BST's and BMC would be behind me until about end of 4th-5th and them come by me.... I think the aerodynamics of the 06 zx10 are much better just looking at the bike. But we'll see.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts