Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 zx10r. I am looking for a turbo for it, however I cant seem to find any websites or anything that sells them. I find the kits and what not for them, just not the actual turbo itself. If anyone could give me a website or point me in the right direction, it would be very helpful!!
Thank You!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Are you looking to fab your own set-up? Every shop/manufacturer/nutcase will use their own choice of turbo depending on the intended use & power output of the machine. Because of the wide range of desires, and depth of wallets, there is no one turbo that anyone can recommend. In order to give you a good idea of what you need, a few questions have to be answered:

Intended use?
Realistic Power goals?
Fuel type?
Budget?
Fabricating your own kit or bringing it to a shop?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you looking to fab your own set-up? Every shop/manufacturer/nutcase will use their own choice of turbo depending on the intended use & power output of the machine. Because of the wide range of desires, and depth of wallets, there is no one turbo that anyone can recommend. In order to give you a good idea of what you need, a few questions have to be answered:

Intended use?
Realistic Power goals?
Fuel type?
Budget?
I would like to get more power out of my bike. I would like to be pushing 200+. just running regular fuel. I don't really have a budget. its something I plan on buying over the next few months. I'm just looking around to try and find pricing and whatnot on everything that I will need. Id like to start buying stuff right now. I go to the track occasionally. it would be more for use on the streets though. I just finally have a bike that I want to dump some money into.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Intended use?
Realistic Power goals?
Fuel type?
Budget?
Correction. id like to be pushing 190+ hp.
id like to be able to realistically be able to hit 200mph without a problem once my flash is done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Intended use?
Realistic Power goals?
Fuel type?
Budget?
I am just trying to get some more power out of my bike. I go to the track Occasionally. its main use would be for the road though. I would like to be pushing 190+ if I can. regular fuel. I don't really have a budget right now. I'm just trying to get a look at how much it will be. wanting to buy all of it within the next couple months. Trying to see how much it is all going to cost me.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
If you honestly want less than 200-ish hp at the wheel, you're probably better off NA with motor work & chassis lightening. You'll have a bike that is more fun to ride in more situations... and a Gen 5 Zx-10r can meet your goals with bolt on's and good tuning.

If your heart is set on a snail, and it is a 100% street bike, I'd use a small(er) turbo like the GT2560 or at the largest the GT28xx series Garrett turbos... with good attention to detail you can run 5-7psi safely on a pump gas tune and make a corresponding 33-50% increase in power.... likely without having to dig into the motor for strengthening mods. But honestly, forced induction is really only worth the added effort and expense if you plan on going at least a little bit crazy.... you can get what you want in this case (performance wise) without all the added hassle of building a new induction system.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Correction. id like to be pushing 190+ hp.
id like to be able to realistically be able to hit 200mph without a problem once my flash is done.

:popcorn:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Yea, that's a hard one to quantify... and it depends on the size and shape of the rider along with the distance available for the attempt. If you're 200+ lbs and trying to hit that in a half mile in a radar shot event, then yea... you're gonna need some boost. All the boost, actually. But if you're a medium-to-smaller frame guy and you're just opening it up on miles of empty road with a rolling start and you just want the GPS to flash the double ton, then 200mph is likely possible with a little bit of gearing change and all the usual NA power upgrades (and maybe a splash of aero modifications).

Again, it all comes down to intended use. From the OP's reply I figured he just wants it to be a "fast streetbike", not compete in land speed events. :)

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Just listen to Spaz. The dude knows. And he knows it better than most of the rest of us.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
....because turbo Zx10R's aren't looney enough...... let's add ice. Ya'll lost yer got damn mind.

...in a good way, though. :)

EDIT: Quick question for you though: how do the gen 4/5 transmissions stand up to 400+ hp levels? Are there upgraded parts involved there as well?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I actually rode it for the first time Wednesday and it is intense. I didn't even get up into the 4th boost setting. About the best I could do was the 3rd riding it to about 70% of it's potential before survival instincts kicked in.
Dude, that's perfectly reasonable on pavement, let alone ice. It takes me weeks worth of riding to acclimate to 8+psi boost levels if I haven't done it for a year or two.... even riding 'normal' bikes every day of the year. Just about every datalog review sounds something like,

Q: "Why'd you short shift the first couple gears? I thought you said you run it to 13K?"
A: "Because, snake brain.Try again next run."

:lol:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Impressive... Gives me hope for running a bigger snail on mine one day, though Dean mentioned that over 400ish hp on a Gen 2 and he started having transmission problems. It's amazing what you can get used to spring wise, though.... I think I have 50lb springs in my gen 2 stock basket/pack and it's held 14psi more than a few times. I too have no problem opening salsa jars with my left hand. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts