Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on an airbox modifiedcation since I have my bike tare down already. My question is "who will more air effect the performance?". My bike is stock except with a slip on & BMC air filter..Yea, I know (get a PC) but I'm cheap and broke..THANKS........

·
Registered
238 Posts
Dunk the box in silicone... Seriously try it...

Lol im workn on sealn up the box as well... I work in the clean air business and am very good at installing pressure gauges in airtight locations so Im gonna do some tests on how much pressure is gained through different modifications...

BUT I DONT KNOW IF THE CRANKCASE "HAS" TO BE CONNECTED TO THE AIRBOX!!! DOES IT??? CAN WE VENT THE CRANKCASE TO A NEUTRAL/OUTSIDE PRESSURE? THEN SEAL THAT AIRBOX CRANKCASE PORT?

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANKS 10, I have alot of reading to do. What I'm going to do is yank the air box out and mock up a voloisity stack style..I'll update how it goes, waiting for my tire to come in..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dunk the box in silicone... Seriously try it...

Lol im workn on sealn up the box as well... I work in the clean air business and am very good at installing pressure gauges in airtight locations so Im gonna do some tests on how much pressure is gained through different modifications...

BUT I DONT KNOW IF THE CRANKCASE "HAS" TO BE CONNECTED TO THE AIRBOX!!! DOES IT??? CAN WE VENT THE CRANKCASE TO A NEUTRAL/OUTSIDE PRESSURE? THEN SEAL THAT AIRBOX CRANKCASE PORT?
Crankcase does not have to be vented to airbox. You might hear it more if its vented somewhere else.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
vent it out the back of the bike. who wants vaporized oil with moisture in there motor?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Ok, I dont care about a lil noise! It would be beneficial to the crankcase and overall motor operation if it was vented to the outside "neutral" pressure??? We dont want positive pressure in the crankcase? I dont believe we would want a negative pressure either...

I wish one of the genuis's that wonder this site would stumble upon this here thread...

·
Registered
238 Posts
vent it out the back of the bike. who wants vaporized oil with moisture in there motor?
What kind of a set up do I need? There aint shit on this site about it so if I can get a good idea of the filter/tube needed ill put up a hot-to or sumthn

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ive seen plenty of people use those small k&n breather filters. Almost looks like an in-line fuel filter, but its an air filter.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yea, that what I figured... Ive been lookn into em a bit. But Id still like to hear someone say that it positively effects performance by eleviating crankcase pressure... Someone who has done this wanna chime in?? Have you had any problems? Notice anything different?

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
well, im turbo charged, with the lil filter i blew oil everywhere!!!!
so i made my own kit. it cost about $20 at home depot. however i just typed it all up in a pm..... sooooo lol i really dont want to type allll that again... maybe the air force guy will copy it for me... please sir when you get it.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
well, im turbo charged, with the lil filter i blew oil everywhere!!!!
so i made my own kit. it cost about $20 at home depot. however i just typed it all up in a pm..... sooooo lol i really dont want to type allll that again... maybe the air force guy will copy it for me... please sir when you get it.
open pm's>sent items>right click>copy>this thread>post reply>right click>paste

thank you, drive through....:heyyou:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
No detrimental effects of disconnecting the vcrank breather from the box. Just make sure you put some kind of filter on it to stop shit getting in. I used a cut in half nasal spray bottle with some old air filter foam in it, held in place with wire...Ghetto! As you americans like to say.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Go to home depot get the clear reinforces line. its like a in on the inside and has the white webing. Attatch to crank case. run up to rear of bike. now this part is where you just got to improvise. find a container that will fit in the back. i used a motule brake fluid bottle. drilled 2 holes in it. 1 for input 1 for out put. stuff this with high density dirt bike foam from cycle gear. well dont stuff but put a good bit in there. it slows down air. then put the other tube in and out the rear of the bike. walla your done.

DING FRIES ARE DONE!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Take that crankcase breather and route it to the secondary air injection (PAIR). Make sure you use some hose that has some rigidity so it won't suck flat (like cooling system hose). That way the exhaust creates some vacuum in the crankcase, which has been proven on the dyno to be free power.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
not the free power argument again.... NOT PROVEN not on here anyway.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Take that crankcase breather and route it to the secondary air injection (PAIR). Make sure you use some hose that has some rigidity so it won't suck flat (like cooling system hose). That way the exhaust creates some vacuum in the crankcase, which has been proven on the dyno to be free power.
I blocked off my Air Injection Ports... So all I can do is vent the crankcase to its own filter. But im pretty sure that only a small amount of vacuum would be beneficail, too much and you start seeing effects similar to positive pressure.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Great, I should have known better than to try to suggest anything to the experts. However I have PERSONALLY watched gsxr's and triumph 675s gain hp on the dyno. You guys are right. I'm wrong and i'm sorry, and in the future i'll keep my mouth shut.

not referring to 7774

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I did not read all of the posts here, but
if you want a modification that is kind of fun and cost no money.
1. you could do the pair valves under the air box. Ya, might want to do this if you are planning for a full system down the road.

2. Knock out the cat and put my A&R baffles in your pipes. But then a custom map would gain you about 7hp after messing up the stock map.

3. Bleed and flush your brakes and use some good fluid.

4. Check out post on here on how to adjust you suspension for you. Videos and how to somewhere on here.

5. You have cut off the mud flap and got rid or those front end reflectors?

6. Grips are not much $$$

7. Protect your tank.

Have fun..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts