Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people.

Ive run out of adjustment on the gsxr600 front end. The preload is wound in fully and the compression is at full stiff. yet it feels underdamped everywhere and dives completely under brakes and bottoms out.

I know the best solution is a revalve and resprung but its too expensive atm. Im looking for temporary solutions.

Add more oil of the same oil to reduce the air gap?? how much more should i put in?? its 10Woil. and where can I buy a good measuring syringe ?

Change the oil? go heavier to a 15 w oil??

I am looking at changing the springs as well as I could probably do that myself without much issue. how much stiffer should i go and where can I get them from??

Im looking at changing the fork oil on the zx10 as well. Is it just as simple as turning the things upside down and draining the oil out and filling it up again with the same quatity that came out . And if i take them completely apart whats the best solvent to soak the tubes in to get the crap out??

thanks and cheers!

:D :D :D

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I think the company is named hyperpro, they have fork springs that are stiffer than stock, those guys are probably who you should ask.... yes you can go to a heavier weight which will increase dampening since the heavier the oil the harder it is for the fluid to travel threw the fork. possibly try closing the air gap but I'd maybe try the oil first.

Traxxion dynamics makes a fork oil height syringe

·
Registered
598 Posts
Ohlins recommends adjusting the oil level in their forks for different tracks and yes more oil will provide slightly more damping. You could also try thicker oil as you mentioned but that may prematurely wear your damping shims.

Best bet is to try a stiffer spring. Really they are not that expensive and that should solve your problems the right way.

·
Registered
541 Posts
What year GSXR600?

·
Registered
609 Posts
You need to get the correct springs for your weight and riding style. Springs are around $100, plus the cost of oil if you DIY.

Race Tech, traxxion, sonic, hyperpro and others make springs. Some web sites have calculators to help determine the correct spring, but I would talk to a real suspension shop as well. A good shop will also include oil height information and suggested sag numbers.

For reference, for around $600 you can have new springs and a complete replacement of internals and custom valving all installed for you. If your seals are leaking, now is a good time to address as well.

Also worth noting that there are no standards related to fork oil. One brand 10wt may equal another 15wt.

I would recommend MD Racing.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its a 2002 gsxr 600. the forks are way too soft. Ill try the oil first but order a set of springs as well.

Cheers!

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
its a 2002 gsxr 600. the forks are way too soft. Ill try the oil first but order a set of springs as well.

Cheers!
Swap out the forks-upper -and lower trees from an 00'-03' 750 or 01'-02' 1000 OR send yours off to GMD computrack or traxxion dynamics or your choice of suspension god to get re-sprung (and maybe valved?). are you sure the seals arn't blown? the 01'-03' gixxer 600 stock forks are garbage and sounds like what you're looking for will not be accomplished by adding a heavier weight oil? but the inverted 50mm forks on the above listed 750 and 1000 were better. just my :2cents: as i rode and worked on that gen of gixxers for a looooong time. GMD did the forks on my old 01' 750 and they were grrrrrrreat!!!:mrgreen: They use to have just a spring kit for $105 BUT i wouldn't even watse the time or cash trying to better the 600 forks man. just egay you a set off the 750 or 1000. everything from your 600 (wheel-rotors-etc.) will fit all the same on the 50mm forks,just gotta swap out both trees and get rid of those toothpik tubes that are on the 6 now. good luck eitherway though cause a mushy front end is nobody's friend!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts