Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

Any one else with a first gen track bike notice that the shift quality is pretty crap??? It feels really heavy specially when you are going down gears quickly before a corner (GP shifting) specially when compared to my gsxr 600 which is like butter in comparison.

Any options to fix this??? Preferably on the cheap side??

Thanks !

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
Adjust your clutch....or the "slip" in your clutch if the problem is mostly downshifting...other than that the only thing i've seen (and used on my gixxer 750) is the Factory Pro Evo shift star BUT it's a bit pricey....from $139-$189 depending on where you look.

Shift STAR kit

Don't sell your clunky shifting "10".
Just FIX the shifting.

If you have a 2004 or 2005 zx10 and notice the notchy, clunky shifting - Install Factory Pro's copyrighted design Shift STAR kit and breath a sigh of relief - Finally, smooth and Quick shifting on your "10".

Takes about 1.5-2.5 hours for initial STAR install (good enough to stop the immediate complaining for the "beginning of spring" riding!) and another, optional, 2-4 hours for Detent arm install (remove exhaust system, oil pan and clutch cover again to remove shift shaft circlip - a weekend or shop project.
Adding just the Star or just the Detent Arm will make shifting much better than stock.

NOTE:
Using a "quickshifter"
Because the shift is completed quicker, please decrease "shift kill time" by ~10 ms.

This kit will speed up the shift mechanism. It doesn't make any difference if you use "manual shifting", an air or electric shifter, have undercut gear dogs or not undercut gear dogs - It's the shift drum gear selector mechanism that we are rotating quicker and more accurately.

Factory Pro
"Fixing what the factory forgot"

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had the same problem. I solved it with a good set of rearsets to replace the stock. The bike with Sato rearsets added is completely transformed. never a missed shift.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts