Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just turned a 1000 miles old and thought Id share a couple of thoughts.
1. I was afraid at first to buy this bike because I thought it would be a disappointment compared to my "massaged" ZX9R. I decided not to sell my 9 and keep both bikes. Now I've decided to let the 9 go. the 10 is that good.
2. Normally stock tires (especially BattleRocks) only get about 15 miles before I replace them, thats the first thing that I decided was to ride with them for a while and try out the 016's based on strong ratings. Adjusted pressure to 34 front 36 rear. I was impressed with them and they are still on after Kieth Code school and a track day. I was so impressed initially that I was sort of afraid to change anything because she was soooooo smooth. That lasted about a week and decided to start the figitry.
3. I spent a significant amount of time researching exhaust ...slipon vs. bolt on vs. system etc. I decided to go with Akropovic with the link pipe and stock headers. I expected the FI to be jacked up until I got it on a dyno with a PC5 or 3usb. not the case still clean.
4. then I slapped in a K&N expecting NOW the Power Commander would be a requirement. Still not the case and infact the bike carberates even more smoothly. starting to reconsider even buying power commander now.
5. I was going to leave the brakes alone because they where hell strong but found a goodridge superbike kit (T style) at a local store and couldnt help myself. It makes maybe a 5% diffrence but the brakes are incredible either way.
6. I drained and refilled the steering damper with 20wt and am happy with it now but I will probably get the correct ohlins needle and run 5wt.
7. Zero Gravity wind screen is a big help I chose clear double Bubble.
8. Stock grips swapped for Gel ProGrips, my personal preference an every bike Ive owned.
9. Suspension setings:

Front PreLoad 5 lines showing rebound 8 clicks out compression 4 clicks out.
Rear 25mm threads showing, rebound 2 turns out, high-speed compression 2.5 turns out, low-speed compression 1.75 turns out. these settings made the bike rock solid everywhere and still feels really good on the street.

10. I slim line led front turns signals from lockhart but they have yet to arrive so the "bejewled" things are still on for now.

11. It took a little looking but I found no cut frame sliders.

12. wash the stock chain lube off and use motul.

13. Motul T100 oil is Green!!!

·
Team Green Baby!
2013 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
1,519 Posts
Thanks for sharing and glad you were not disappointed. Got any pics??? Post it up! :helmet:

·
SPLAT!!!
2,340 Posts
Glad you like it bro, i swear im still impressed with mine every time i ride it. I LOVED my 05 but it didnt make me gitty after as many miles as my 08 still does. Sucks you sold the 9r, that was my first bike and a BLAST to ride!!!! POST SOME PICS!!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
if you thought the 10-R might be a dissapointment, i can't imagine where else you could have turned for a brand new bike :lol:

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
That's what I was going to say, if anything go buy a 09 r1 and compare it to your 10 and you will be wondering why your so stupid LOL...Cool write up though man, hope you enjoy the bike!!!

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
nice write up... do post some pics of the beast.... what frame sliders did you go with ?? and Id like to see a pic of those new signals on the bike..

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
That engine really gets better and better with more miles. Mine really started coming alive at about 3K. I have 16K now and it feels stronger than it ever has.

·
T Double D
870 Posts
dont worry Motorex 10W60 Oil that i use is green to it freaked me out the first time too

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
6. I drained and refilled the steering damper with 20wt and am happy with it now but I will probably get the correct ohlins needle and run 5wt.
:thumbsup: A riding buddy of mine sent his to a guy in Cali to have the valve changed, said it was night and day.

·
Registered
447 Posts
yeah it is, I didnt get the valve changed, but I just, lets say, inherited a full ohlins and its a lot better, I think its too tight sometimes. When I first put it on I had to tone it way down becuase it was locking the bars and making the bike feel weird. Call me crazy but I still like a tiny bit of head shake, feels weird without it to me, when I say little I mean a really little amount, I am not riding around slapping everywhere.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the 9 left home tonight

a couple of updates

1 turn signal delinquent from lockhart grrrrr.
2 I will have to go back to store where I bought the sliders i threw the packing out to fit them in the tank bag
3 got pazzo shortys I thiught I specified long but got the short I would prefer the long ones so my friend adn owner of my favorite shop is going to get the long ones and swap me.
4. Im happy the MOYUL is green!!!
5 I wimpered slightly when the 9 left tonight until I rode to deposit the check on the 10
6 im trying to post a pic but need a place to park the image I guess and facebook isny cooperating any advice appreciated

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if you want to see the pics look for gregory j mcnabb on facebook

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The sliders are IRP part number 477-201
115 bucks, kinda steep but appear of very high quality
and blah blah you know the rest!!!