Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the CBR1000rr calipers off someone here knowing my stock calipers sucked compared to the feel of my 08 ZX6Rs.

I got EBC HH pads and ordered Galfer lines. Unfortunately the front set is on backorder!!. The rear line got installed though on the stock caliper. I also bought a Mityvac to assist in the work..

Here are the calipers loaded with the EBC pads after a complete cleaning.

THe calipers came with brand new OEM Honda spacers- they have the little shoulder on both sides- in order to make them work on the Kawi forks you need to grind off one of the sides of the spacers- I used combo between a dremel and a grind stone on a regular drill. After some patience they came out nice. Notice you will want to ensure they are totally flat so the caliper mounts correctly to the spindle.

Here is the modified spacer- you need to do this to all 4...

THe first issue I came across was getting the stock Kawi bolts off- They require a 6mm hex socket- what a fucking pain in the ass- the first bit I snapped in half because it was on there to damn tight- I finally got all 4 off but 3 out of 4 were stripped. So I had to order OEM Honda caliper bolts for the price of.......$52 for all 4... :badteeth:. Here is a pic- notice the thread lock on them... (nice touch Honda)

THere has been some rumors about lenghts- Here is the Honda vs. Kawi bolts.. Honda is a little longer..

One area where the Kawi is better are the bleeder valves... I had a hell of a time bleeding these things. The right front bleeder wasnt seating all the way closed so the Mityvac wasnt holding pressure. As I attempted to bleed the front air was constantly showing up yet the fluid out of the res. was going down- after 30 minutes of trying I ended up swapping out the old Kawi bleeder (that comes with thread sealant on it) for the Honda bleeder- sure enough, that solved the problem. Oddly enough the left front caliper Honda bleeder worked fine and held vacuum enough to correctly bleed it in 5 minutes.

The Honda spacer placed the caliper perfectly with the rotor as you can see from these pics..

Here are pics of the finished project- I am just waiting for the front Galfer lines to come in.

I took it out for a ride and can defintely feel a difference although the pads are still getting bedded and I didnt go too far. THey are a lot better then stock but with the Galfer lines I expect even better performance. THe rear is WAY easier to lock up with the Galfer line. I was surprised considering the bike is an 2006 and only has 3000 miles on it.. This winter I am going to get some Stompgrip for the frame where my knees hit as I slide forward now when I hit the brakes more then before.

After the ride I got home and made sure the caliper bolts were correctly torqued to 25 ft pounds.

Any questions, let me know..

·
Registered
600 Posts
looks good.

i also did thre 1000rr swap with galfer lines, only i used some spacers from kyle racing, came with one shoulder on them, and they are black.

i have some galfer superbike lines if you wany them. there for an 04-05, but im pretty sure theyll work for all years, cant think of anything that would be different, maybe a little lenght? sent you a pm.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
good thread. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
good write-up......maybe i can squeeze a set of these outta my wife for my bday present......

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the Galfer lines on today-

Here is an updated pic.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Warining : Off Topic

Can you post a pic of your rear brake fluid resivour - what bracket did you use to get it of the rear pegs?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Warining : Off Topic

Can you post a pic of your rear brake fluid resivour - what bracket did you use to get it of the rear pegs?
the rear brake resivoir is mounted to the black plastic heat shield.
I have mine mounted the same way.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
correct- the pass peg does nothing to support the rear res. Mine is holding on by the plastic exhaust cover thingy... it has held up just fine.

Here is another pic I took today with the sun on the bike, you can see it better....

·
Registered
71 Posts
What brake lines did you use.Are they for a 10 or the CBR.Nice write up.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks.

·
Gun Owning Republican
5,278 Posts
Never saw this thread. I started the 1000RR swap thread over a year+ ago. Great write up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Was riding the bike today and still love the way these brakes work now... so confident with just a few fingers on the lever

·
Registered
111 Posts
Could anyone tell me the thickness of the dowel/spacer that you grind down? I bought a set of these calipers but having a hard time finding the spacers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts