Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just turned 600 miles on the my new '06 and changed the oil myself but I noticed it says something about checking valve clearance and I wanted to know how important it really is that I have this done.

I know valve clearance is important but I wonder how much could it need at 600 miles really ?

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
The first service or break-in maintenance as some call it is nothing but a waste of time and money. It's just a way for the dealership to suck some more money out of you.

Just keep up on the preventative maintenance like making sure bolts are tight, the air filter is clean, regular oil/filter changes, etc. and the bike will be fine.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Yup! its the biggest scam ever! all they do is oil change and look at your chain, and making sure nothing is lose. You did'nt spend more than 20 bucks for an oil change did you?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats what I thought, I did spend $30.00 bux on my oil change but that was with a mobil 1 filter and Lucas oil.
I've used Lucas before and like it and its not much more than regular oil so....

Glad I didn't spend the $250 for the svc, I just changed oil and filter and tightened and lubed my chain myself.

Thanks again.
Jamie

·
Registered
43 Posts
On these newer, fuel injected bikes, it's not worth the dealer doing your first service. On the older, carburated bikes, i would say yes. The carbs would go out of sync and fuel screws needed adjustment.

Do your oil change, adjust the chain, check tire pressures and check throttle cable adjustment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts