Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still can't get that sprocket nut off the 10 so I'm wondering about getting an impact wrench. Does anyone have any experiences with cordless/mains electric wrenches? Are they up to the job? Or is air always best?

I like the idea of cordless, I can carry it in the car in case I get a puncture, so it won't sit in the toolbox doing nothing, but if I'm forced to get air, then I might as well get a die grinder and a gauge for tire pressures as well. What's the minimum spec I should be looking at, for a compressor or for an electric wrench?

·
talker of shite
7,285 Posts
just googled for air & electric ones & they are pretty easy to compare, both give torque #'s so u can work out what is needed.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, but they are selling them, I'd like to hear what they are like in the real world. Some air guns have three speeds, is this necessary, or is it an advantage to have? Do the electric ones burn out too easily?

Looking on ebay in the Uk I could get a 2 or 3hp compressor and a good, used, air gun for the same price as a used Snap-On cordless, but the compressor would offer me more options in the long run. I could go for a cheap cordless, but there's no point if they aren't up to the job.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I still can't get that sprocket nut off the 10 so I'm wondering about getting an impact wrench. Does anyone have any experiences with cordless/mains electric wrenches? Are they up to the job? Or is air always best?

I like the idea of cordless, I can carry it in the car in case I get a puncture, so it won't sit in the toolbox doing nothing, but if I'm forced to get air, then I might as well get a die grinder and a gauge for tire pressures as well. What's the minimum spec I should be looking at, for a compressor or for an electric wrench?

Yep, electric impact 12v. That's what it took for mine to come off. Took about 8 wacks and it started to back off. My air impact wouldn't budge it.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I don't think you'll ever find anything stronger than an air impact, but a cordless will do the job just fine. I was impressed with them once I saw them in action. The one I've seen is a Dewalt. They make good products.

If you are mainly just wanting your sprocket off, we can tell ya the trick to getting it off without buying an impact.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Nah.. just the help of a second person preferably or a center stand.

Take a 2x4 or 2x6 and lock your rear wheel down with it. Be sure to keep the board somewhat close to the center of the rim. Also unclip the brake line so you are no sitting the board on top of the brake line. The rear wheel will lock down in between the swingarm and wheel spokes. They can hold it, I promise. Use some towels to keep from scratching things. Of course then put the bike in gear to help hold again. Second person to hold the brake. Be sure the washer on the nut is flattened out, then hit it with a big wrench. If you have a small ratchet, get a pipe to make a longer moment arm. Give it a couple of whacks and you should be free. Use hammer if necessary to hit pipe (this is for the girly men). Just playin, you may need to.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Nah.. just the help of a second person preferably or a center stand.

Take a 2x4 or 2x6 and lock your rear wheel down with it. Be sure to keep the board somewhat close to the center of the rim. Also unclip the brake line so you are no sitting the board on top of the brake line. The rear wheel will lock down in between the swingarm and wheel spokes. They can hold it, I promise. Use some towels to keep from scratching things. Of course then put the bike in gear to help hold again. Second person to hold the brake. Be sure the washer on the nut is flattened out, then hit it with a big wrench. If you have a small ratchet, get a pipe to make a longer moment arm. Give it a couple of whacks and you should be free. Use hammer if necessary to hit pipe (this is for the girly men). Just playin, you may need to.
Hahaha! Nope. No way. Tried that. Mine wouldn't budge.
Actually several of us tried that.
My air impact is a cheapy and it wouldn't do it.
My buddy showed me his electric 12v impact. I didn't think it would work once he started, but on the 8th try or so. It started to come lose.

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
I used an air impact - the nut came flyin off on the first attempt. Make sure that washer is completely flattened out.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Hahaha! Nope. No way. Tried that. Mine wouldn't budge.
Actually several of us tried that.
My air impact is a cheapy and it wouldn't do it.
My buddy showed me his electric 12v impact. I didn't think it would work once he started, but on the 8th try or so. It started to come lose.
That's wierd. I've done it many o times and its worked just fine every time. I do have a breaker bar though, that probably helped out a lot. I'd hate to do it with a regular 1/2" drive ratchet.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
That's wierd. I've done it many o times and its worked just fine every time. I do have a breaker bar though, that probably helped out a lot. I'd hate to do it with a regular 1/2" drive ratchet.
We had a 1/2'' breaker bar and about a 2 foot leverage extention on it. Nope. Wouldn't budge. That sucker was on there good.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
No Joke. I must of had a girl put my on the first time. :lol:

·
Shorty's Performance
8,860 Posts
i have the 28 volt 1/2 inch corless impact from milwaukee and is a beast. bought it almost 3 years ago and i do pretty much everything here at my house.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Is that a wind-up?
The 12v we used actually wound itself up a bit and wacked the nut.

That many volts aught to do the trick.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi, can I have some names and model numbers for the successful ones. I've read a few comparison tests and one model rated at 200lb ft wouldn't undo a nut torqued at 120, I'd rather not go in blind and waste cash. I've seen a nice 36volt De Walt, but I think it's overkill for what I need.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The 12v I used was not cordless.
My air gun was rated fairly high. Cannot remember how many ft.lbs. But I likely don't have enough air capacity to run it long enough either.

·
Shorty's Performance
8,860 Posts
Hi, can I have some names and model numbers for the successful ones. I've read a few comparison tests and one model rated at 200lb ft wouldn't undo a nut torqued at 120, I'd rather not go in blind and waste cash. I've seen a nice 36volt De Walt, but I think it's overkill for what I need.
mine has 325 foot pounds of torque! you'll be happy with that one! i think thats one of the best tools i've ever bought.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
i have the 28 volt 1/2 inch corless impact from milwaukee and is a beast.
Heard a lot of good things out there, primarily that the Milwaukee is one of the best, if not the best electric impacts out there.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts