Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend with a 2002 gsxr 750 lowered 1.5 inches, tre -1+3, and a slipon. We lined up for fun this weeked his brother marked out a quarter mile and we did a few races. Every time he had me off the line and through most of the quarter. I would catch him right around the quarter mark and be 10-20 mph faster then him everyhing after that was me. Im -1+0, tre, flies removed, cats knocked out, a&r baffles, and pc3. I think my biggest issue is standing it and he weighs 125lbs while I come in at 235lbs. We switched bikes and I did pull him out of the whole just didnt keep the lead as long, I'm sure thats just the more weight thing. I would like to be ahead before well before the end of the quarter w/o extending the swing arm or riding around with a strap all night and I had it lowered but then my wife couldn't ride with me so don't want to drop it again. I have experiance with 600cc's and once the clutch is out they stay down under full thottle and this10r wont do that. Any tips for me :zx_green:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Only thing i can suggest it to gear it more...

Don't forget that with stock gearing on a 10r, 1st gear is good for nearly 100mph:eyecrazy: I have ridden a 05 750 Zook and them things are geared in the tranny like a 600...first gear on a 10R is a mile long in comparison:badteeth: so that means more clutch slippage to get that baby going:helmet: and some extra time until you can get the power down.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yeah I would say the same as the last post. I think you may be changing gears too early. Every size bike has a different shift point so a 1000 is not going to be the same as a 750. Every now and then I ride with some guys that have 600s and always pay attention to their feet. accelerating at the same speed I notice when Im still in first they are already in 3rd. When Im in 2nd theyre in 4th.... when Im in 4th they are usually already in 6th! If you're worried about the front coming up and you arent big on hitting the twisties then just streatch the bike a couple inches. I know some dude that has a zx-12, stretched 8 inches, lowered that can do the quarter mile in the high 6's with no wheelie. Of course if you do like to hit the twisties I wouldnt recommend it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the long gears after being 17/40 for a while then I switched to the 16t up front felt like I was driving a 600 again. Granted it was not even close to the shifting I had to do on my 600 but I lived in first gear on stock gearing. When I rode with a buddy on a 6r I would pull up beside him and ask what gear he was in after he said 3rd or 4th I would just hold up 1 finger. Never felt over reved till 70 on stock gear now I have to use 2 every so once in a while. I am about to do the 1/5 throttle mod before this weekend. Im right behind him so it doesnt look to bad. When I do pass him I fly by him. I don't see why more gear would help me when as it sits I can't keep it down. Till mid to high 2nd gear the front willl just go strait up and when I pass that point is when I pull hard. Guess I need to find a why to get more throttle down faster. I do like track days so the swingarm is never getting extended.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
8900 rpms is where the max torque is. Try to get around there for your launch, I do 7500-8200 and I have had mine vs. every 600 out at palm beach raceway and all they see is my tail light right off the light(not every bike haha). I run from 9.5's-9.7's at swb and right around 140's. There should be no reason that gsxr is even on the side of you. At most maybe a second. But that weight things a big issue there. You said the kid is 125 pounds...Thats small

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I shift at 12.6.12.8 pretty sure thats not an issue prob more the launch and throttle control. When you launch at 7.5-8.2 how long are you slipping the clutch?

·
Registered
464 Posts
The only time that gix should be next to you is at the line. lol.

·
5,932 Posts
Slipping the clutch, maybe a second if that, but it kicks thats for sure. I can barely keep the wheel on the ground. I used to launch my bike all the time at max rpm's but I have better results when launching a little lower. Just me but what ever is your feel

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Get some more gear, practice your launches, and y'alls difference in weight is gonna be the biggest thing.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Yeah I would say the same as the last post. I think you may be changing gears too early. Every size bike has a different shift point so a 1000 is not going to be the same as a 750. Every now and then I ride with some guys that have 600s and always pay attention to their feet. accelerating at the same speed I notice when Im still in first they are already in 3rd. When Im in 2nd theyre in 4th.... when Im in 4th they are usually already in 6th! If you're worried about the front coming up and you arent big on hitting the twisties then just streatch the bike a couple inches. I know some dude that has a zx-12, stretched 8 inches, lowered that can do the quarter mile in the high 6's with no wheelie. Of course if you do like to hit the twisties I wouldnt recommend it.
:+1:My buddy has an '04 750 and he usually gets me out of the hole unless I launch at 7k+ rpm. 1st gear on his bike winds out around 45mph, and that's where I say by-by. However we weigh the same, looks like you've got reason to cut back on the beer and munchies.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts

·
5,932 Posts
Yes I agree 100% with that. I used to take my zx7r when I first started riding out to a road a couple miles away from my house and just practice my launches, it really helped cause I couldnt chase my clutch at all haha. But practice makes you a lot better then just showing up and bogging off the line, heck best thing to do is if your not used to lauching your bike at high rpm's turn your idle all the way up and practice lauching just a little bit higher from idle. It will help you get used to the feel of the bike lauching at higher rpm's.

·
5,932 Posts
Was that necessary "big snoop" to call him out like that. Its getting kinda old every time I get on here and your in a thread just talking shit about everything. I know its an opinion of things. But thats still kinda out of the ball park a little.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sorry

just stating the obvious...I really meant no disrespect...and btw, are you for some reason monitoring my activity on this forum?...geez...had absolutely no idea so many members were so sensitive...i`ll do my best to curb my ...honesty......

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I was quicker off the line on my 05 636 than on my ZX10. And you would be surprised; my 05 636 1/4 was faster than a lot of liter bikes. A 750 is a formidable oponent. Also in 1/4 mile weight plays a huge roll in acceleration.
235 v.s 125 he can give up even more HP and still beat you.

Gotta practice the launch

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
About you going on a diet and losing about 50 pounds for starters...:crackup:
While losing some weight would be beneficial and healthier, I think the main problem is technique and how his bike is set up. It is hard to beat a 750 that is lowered vs. a stock height. I am not saying it can't be done as you have the power to take him but all the power isn't worth anything if you can't use it.

There are a lot of drag racers here that could help, me not being one; I can say that practice, practice, and more practice. Learning to slip the clutch and adjusting your body for weight transfer to keep the front end down is the biggest thing. Possibly installing some front end straps will help.

Big Snoop, please be a little more tactful when offering help, I am sure there are a lot of drag and road racers as well as street rider that could lose a few pounds. We just would rather hear it tactfully rather than an in-your-face way. Try to treat others as you would want to be treated...Thanks.

Tread

·
Registered
117 Posts
Again...

I apologise if i tend to come off as "In Your Face"...not real good at sugarcoating my opinions...i`ll work on it...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts