Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year I have started to race supermoto. This is the first time I've raced competitively ever and I've been having a blast. I've done 1 national level race and several local races. But this race will be my first really big one with AMA. If your in the Arizona area you should stop by and check the race out, there are going to be several pro riders there as well. Active Military and first responders get in free with their ID.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Dude... that's awesome. I've been testing the waters on cart racing, of all things, and I may be up at Messelman's if I can find the time for it. :)

...may even be up in Tucson that night; we'll see if I can drag the family out and see some cools stuff.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im racing in AMA Supermoto May 6 in Arizona

Dude... that's awesome. I've been testing the waters on cart racing, of all things, and I may be up at Messelman's if I can find the time for it. :)

...may even be up in Tucson that night; we'll see if I can drag the family out and see some cools stuff.
Sweet it'd be cool to see you. We have a race this Saturday at 5 as well. I'm not sure what the turn out will be but in the past Musselman hasnt had a good turn out of racers for the local series were doing. The AMA race will definitely be worth checking out and more exciting though. Rumor has it they are going to do the awards for the overall winners of the local series at the AMA race and I'm currently 2nd in points.

On a side note you can pick up a great supermoto bike for the price of a kart. Once your set up I'm pretty sure supermoto is cheaper. Just saying. It'd be nice to have another friend racing out there with us.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im racing in AMA Supermoto May 6 in Arizona

Here's a pic of my race bike. I totally underestimated how fun these are to ride on a dirt/ asphalt track. It's not nearly as fast as my 10 on the street or on a regular track but I'm definitely faster on it on the smaller tighter kart tracks we do supermoto racing on.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I was doing the practice day prepping for a race when I wrecked my 2008 CRF450R at Bushnell. I wish I would have kept it. AMA is a lot different depending on the region,I was going to race AMA South East. Good looking bike

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
On a side note you can pick up a great supermoto bike for the price of a kart. Once your set up I'm pretty sure supermoto is cheaper. Just saying. It'd be nice to have another friend racing out there with us.
...gotta add crashing into the maintenance costs... I tend to crash things on 2 wheels when I race them. Carts, on the other hand, are actually pretty damn hard to crash! :) They're both a pipe dream until I open up some funds though... it'll be a project for next year either way.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
...gotta add crashing into the maintenance costs... I tend to crash things on 2 wheels when I race them. Carts, on the other hand, are actually pretty damn hard to crash! :) They're both a pipe dream until I open up some funds though... it'll be a project for next year either way.
I crashed my SM three times in one day and you couldn't tell.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I crashed my SM three times in one day and you couldn't tell.
I believe it, but I'm less worried about the bike than me these days. I don't wear as well as my bikes anymore.... not a lot left of my L5 disc after they took the errant pieces out back in '03. Health care has finally got more expensive than racing! :crying:

Plus, I'll admit it: I'm a lot braver on 4 wheels whilst turning/braking than I am on 2. Getting old I guess.

EDIT: let me add, though, that I DO want one. I had an old SV650 I wish I still had for similar reasons... those things are more likely to get my license yanked than my turbo bike... there's a certain amount of mental regression that goes on when I swing a leg over those things. Well, more so than usual.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's part of the draw for me. Back in June I dropped my ZX10-R off a trailer and the insurance claim was in the $5k range. My first weekend on the Supermoto I crashed twice (it rained and I only had slicks. Dumb I know). Only thing I had to do to the bike was straighten the handlebars and replace $12 worth of sliders. A couple weeks ago I went to a race in Nevada and entered in 2 race classes. I crashed 3 times in my first race on Friday and was able to race my heat race and main event on Sunday.

The beauty of supermoto racing especially locally is that it's done on small tight tracks or on special designed supermoto tracks in parking lots. So when you do crash it's normally at a relatively low speed in a tight corner so the damage to the bike and body is normally minimal. A proper supermoto setup has way more tire and brakes than they need for their weight and power so that helps as well.

Im still slow as sh!t but I show improvement every time I head out so I'm having a blast. I'm doing pretty well for a guy that up until the beginning of the year had never taken a motorcycle off a jump or intentionally ridden in the dirt. The race in Nevada I did was a national level event with guys competing from Australia and Sweden aswell as the US. I placed 11th out of 20 in my class at my first national event. I'm currently running 2nd in the local series aswell. Hopefully I can make it up to the national AMA race in Sturgis this year. If you want to see some awesome racing checkout supermoto racing in Sturgis on YouTube. They shut down streets down town and build dirt sections in the back streets and race in down town Sturgis.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey SpazOnaZX thanks for coming out to the race. It was cool to have a cheering section lol. Let me know if you guys pull the trigger on getting the little man a bike. Our next race for the local series is May 28th at PKRA in phoenix. I'm not sure if I'm going to be there or not but there will probably be a lot of the mini moto racers there.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
My pleasure... thanks for the invite. :) It was awesome to see that sort of racing first hand, and they were moving waaaaaay faster at that track than I thought they would, fo sho.

The real trick is not having to buy ALL the kids a bike now... they were all pretty stoked!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts