Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Muzzy gasket is know installed, and the head is currently torque to spec. Just need to put the cams, and the rest of the parts in. It wasn't hard at all. I've put in 10.5 hours so far. The manuel instruction left a few things out for sure, but nothing crazy. The gasket is like the 636 trick. Instead of three layers, it's only two. My Pitbull stands f'in rock. The bike stayed still the whole time. The head bolts are on tight. I lost a lot of time trying to figure out the gray areas.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
SP8 said:
The Muzzy gasket is know installed, and the head is currently torque to spec. Just need to put the cams, and the rest of the parts in. It wasn't hard at all. I've put in 10.5 hours so far. The manuel instruction left a few things out for sure, but nothing crazy. The gasket is like the 636 trick. Instead of three layers, it's only two. My Pitbull stands f'in rock. The bike stayed still the whole time. The head bolts are on tight. I lost a lot of time trying to figure out the gray areas.
Cool. And I'm with you on the Pit Bulls. Those stands are worth the bike's weight in gold when you're wrenchin'. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I think I tried to add in teh gray areas, I hope my post was useful in some ways.
Removing the cam chain isn't as easy as the manual says.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I left the chain in. I attached a string to it to pull it back through the head. I like how the manuel didn't mention disconecting the coolant intake. They also never mention the two bolts that attaches to the frame. I banged on the head a few times before I realized what was holding it in.LOL

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got screwed by the head bolts. I had socket sets is for 1/2, and 1/4 inch drives. The 1/2 inch socket did not fit. So I put in the 1/4 inch with adapters to 1/2 inch. I start to take the bolt off, and I hear a snap. I thought the bolt broke free. I look and see that I sheared off the 1/4 inch adapter. I didn't see any metal in the head. Hopefully the filter, and a oil change will get rid of any particles. So I go to get a 3/8 drive 12mm socket. All the single sockets on sale were 12 point. There was no way in hell I was going to try to get those head bolts off with a 12 point socket. So I had to buy a whole set of 3/8 drive 6 point sockets. I used a 3/8 to 1/2 inch adapter with no problem. I guess I'll buy a 3/8 drive since I have all these redundant sockets.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
442 Posts
SP8 said:
I got screwed by the head bolts. I had socket sets is for 1/2, and 1/4 inch drives. The 1/2 inch socket did not fit. So I put in the 1/4 inch with adapters to 1/2 inch. I start to take the bolt off, and I hear a snap. I thought the bolt broke free. I look and see that I sheared off the 1/4 inch adapter. I didn't see any metal in the head. Hopefully the filter, and a oil change will get rid of any particles. So I go to get a 3/8 drive 12mm socket. All the single sockets on sale were 12 point. There was no way in hell I was going to try to get those head bolts off with a 12 point socket. So I had to buy a whole set of 3/8 drive 6 point sockets. I used a 3/8 to 1/2 inch adapter with no problem. I guess I'll buy a 3/8 drive since I have all these redundant sockets.:rolleyes:

The 12 point would have been ok on a head bolt due to its high tinsil strength
(hardness). This is a great thread by the way, Keep it up.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
The coolant line we only removed because of the stupid black rubber thing being wrapped around it.
The head came right off for use after the 8 12mm bolts and the two side 5mm allen.
The two bolts holding the head were removed by me because they are the ones used for the shogun frame sliders (I believe)

Did your cams jump up when you removed the cam guides? Mine started to feel like they were popping out and I didn't want them to bend. Sounds like you had no issue with this? The lobes were pushing down on the lobes so obvously that is why. My cam chain did not 'pull off to the right' after removing the chain tensioner and front chain guide...The manual does not mention removing the guide just loosening the bolts..OOPS!!! Fuggers. We had to loosen the cam guides and pull the cam out in an angle to remove the chain. We later learned to totally remove that guide. To get the chain back on if it falls you can use a telescoping magnet...i dropped a bolt down there (cam bolt) and we used the magnet...$6 at K-mart or sears.
Keep us updated...so when is the plan to start her?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah the cams did jump a little. The cam chain guide screwed with me for a little while. I was about to call you, but I figured out what was wrong. I for got to take out the timing sensor. A funny thing about the cam guides. The allen heads were filled with oil. So they looked solid. So like an ass I kept trying to find a 6 point socket to fit them. LOL

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yeah, I plan to start her Monday. I didn't get a chance to buy new exhaust gaskets. So I won't be able to put the exhaust on today. I think my neighbors would hate me if I started the bike without headers, and silencer.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I should mention doing things yourself insure it being done right. When I got my TiForce I did back to back dyno runs. The ass shop owner helped me put it on the bike. All the nuts he put on the headers were way to loose. I'm surprised I didn't loose any. If I can do it myself. That's how it's gonna get done from now on.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I updated the other thread with all of the pics that I have...I will get the measurements of the stand and dial indicator stand in a few hours.
I didn't change the exhaust gaskets either....my dumbarse ordered the wrong part no. 11061, instead of 11060...i got 4 of the gasket that goes between the midpipe and stock canister...they are useless to me now. They will be replaced when I do order the headers on tuesday.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just finished another 5.5 hours. That puts me at 16 hours.

All that's left to install before cranking her is:
1. Exhaust gaskets
2. New air filter
3. Exhaust
4. Engine Ice
5. Fuel tank

Those top engine mounts are a pain in the ass. Everyone is gonna hate the day they have to replace the spark plugs. I should have it all button up tomorrow. I'm glad it's almost over. This thing better not leak anything. I'll jump into the river if I have to wrestle that airbox again.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I said the same thing...that airbox if a MOFO. miykl said he is a champ at the airbox now after the Vstacks.
Those 12mm bolts are at such a crappy angle, I think i had to use an open ended wrench for most of the tightening.
Sounds like you have anoter 3 hours to get her totally back together.

Did the timing marks align easily for you? My cylinder 2 didn't want to seat but it could have been because I turned the crank without the cams in....wont do that again!

I'm trying to get my friend with an '02 R1 to get the gasket so I can do them same on his bike for $$$ this time. Get some experience with his bike and then do some of the riding group I ride with for more $$$.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Sh!t makes the world go round. I'm hoping to make some cash to get a penske, you know? Then I have to fix up the house with the rest...i promised wifey

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
you are very disaplined to have gotten the suspension before the pipe...i wish I had your discipline...but I have a good setup on my bike now, I just wnat to get it right so I can run 25mm of sag out back and see if it handles better and if I can slowly remove shims on the shock to get back to the stock 3.2mm or raised instead of the 6mm I am running. Although I did read the Yamaha GP bike is running 56% weight forward so I'm not worried about stability with the 6mm shim.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The timing went way easier than I thought. I just had to roatate the exhuast cam a little. I got ahead of my self at first. I didn't read the part about pulling the cam chain thight on the exhaust side first when aligning the cam sprockets. Luckily I did that anyway by accident. I have two freakin 8mm mystery srews. The short ones used to attach clamps for the wire harness. Hopefully they go to the body work, but I sworn I put all those bolts in one container. I also think I attached the wrong vent hose to the airbox. Dose the clear tube goto the airbox, or does it goto the fuel tank? I'm thinking it goes to the airbox now, and that's not where it's attached.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts