Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. I prepared an Ign module table considering Ivans findings, the ping at low RPMs/part throttle and lowering engine temps at cruising RPMs. I want you guys to take a look at it and tell me what you think about it, and of course ask me about it. I haven't use it on the bike but was thinking about it after I reassemble the bike with the new mods.

2. After reading many, many threads about race cam degreeing, head work, PC, Ign module, etc. I am going with Muzzys Thin HG (should be here tomorrow), Kawi Race cam at 107/104 (got it) and TI Force full system (tomorrow also). I got 161 hp on a DJ250 with what I have right now (below on signature). Would I be able to reach 170-175 hp with the new mods? Thinking of doing it myself and I might mess carefully with the head as per Kawi Race manual.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Yea you can get that. The Muzzy HG is a factory Kawasaki unit. For a street bike 107/104 gives loooong legs. Meaning the power is way up TOP. It's good power but way up top. I had mine there and moved them to 105/103 and it's a better street motor. I aint saying it's in the perfect spot because that's the only two I've tried. I wil tell you that my motor didn't like those 4's at 80 and 100% throttle. It liked 2

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
LEt me know how that table works!!! I get my ign module in today and Ima put it on and mabey tune it in on the dyno/street. I cant wait till they come out with the switchable maps for the power commander so I can have a all motor tune and a nitrous tune.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You might say it is only a theorical map. To me it looks like it covers the different issues covered on previous threads. You would be the first one to use it, so tell us how it works. My bike will be up and running in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I don't want to piss on anyones Ignition Module parade because I have one as well, but as of this time I have seen bikes that have the pick up slid for advance make more power on the dyno. Yea I was pissed to see this myself. I know of at least three guys that have removed the Ignition Module as well. I'm still toying with the idea of shit caning mine dumping the TRE off and removing the flies. I'm going to dyno like this in a couple weeks to see if it makes more thru the middle in this configuration. My bike makes great power up top but lags behind to two other 10s thru the middle that I know are set up like I stated. I figured mine would be stronger thru the middle with my set up but It hasn't proved to be. I'm thinking the Ignition module somehow delays the signal during it's intercept and resending process. Just a guess on my part.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
yeah I actually got it for retarding the timint with nitrous but Im gunan expirement with adding some timing

·
Registered
467 Posts
When you got your module was it pre-set or did you have to play with it and find your own settings. I am considering getting one for my 04 ZX10R along with the PCIII and Ivan's TRE. I am not sure that I need the ignition module with every thing else except for the slip on exaust being stock. Any insight about this? :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Take out the secondaries and forget the TRE........ BS! Push up your timing staticly and have a map made for it. You'll be glad you did. The one thing that the TRE does that I don't care for on the 10 is lock you to one ignition map. Bikes that I have seen pulled on the same dyno as mine on the same day made more power thru the mid without the TRE devise installed. I'm thinking this is an ignition timing issue. My bike made the same peak power as the rest and more than some, but was weaker thru the mid. Something is causing it. I'm about to start a process to find out what.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Come on guys, I was expecting more comments from those that have the IM and those that work with this tunning. Let me hear you.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Hey Gunner, did you ever do any testing with/without the tre and flies in/out?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have the TRE + PCIII + ignition module.

It runs really well and I have been getting up to 18.2km/l. I will let you convert that to US mpg. It is good mileage.

The bike runs pretty well faultlessly as well with more power everywhere.

I think that the ZX-10R needs the ignition module even without the TRE being fitted. The TRE does change the timing though and without the ignition module and a changed timing map, it will lose about 25% in fuel economy although it still runs very well.

Your particular map is interesting with some retardation still required at low rpm. This requirement increases with the TRE fitted.

I think you will be very happy with the ignition module.

I would have thought removing the secondary butterflies would be a formula for problems or at least heavy fuel consumption. It is a bit like cutting the anterior callosum for treating epilepsy. In the ZX14, removing the secondary butterflies doesn't work at all evidently.

Anyway, it is interesting and I'm sure you guys know what you're doing.

Grant

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
wattgn said:
In the ZX14, removing the secondary butterflies doesn't work at all evidently.

very very extremely false....... gains are on bottom end. we gained 25=6 ft lbs at 3k rpm and more across the board, must tune it though

·
Banned
363 Posts
Well I just got the Ignition module installed and used the map supplied in this thread and it seems to pull at 100 as it did at 50 now. I also put the 1/5 throttle conversion in so I think I'm also feeling that. Overall I think it's worth it though it seemed to really smooth out the engine, and also give me some second gear power wheelies at 90mph!!:eyecrazy: The down side was I found a valve cover gasket leak while I had the fairings off!!! Anyone ever do the valve cover gasket? Do you have to take the throttle bodies off to tighten it down? What do you think? Any experience?

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
you dont need to take off the throttle bodies, you should be able to get to it with a small 1/4 inch drive socket set and an extension.

·
Registered
370 Posts
So, has anybody really figured out a way to set this Ing. Module or has a good map? Because the map on this thread really didn't work to good at hi-rpms. It makes the bike seem like it's hitting the rev-limiter at like 9k-10k. So I set mine back to all zero's.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Ummmm yea, detonation not so good on the motor, we are working on an ignition table and a map to go with the exhaust we just made, it is going to be awhile guys. If someone comes up with something please PM me

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
yeah detonation is very very badd!!!! altho i have my bike set to 8-10 degrees advance and its a daily driver/weekend racer.

you seriosuly need to get the bike on the dyno and have a good tuner go threw the map before you just go advancing timing to get best peak horsepower.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts