Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use to turn your bike off?

Personally, it's always been the kill switch.

But I have seen other people using the ignition key.

·
Registered
265 Posts
the MSF courses tell you killswitch.... cause its right there... i didnt care, used my ignition exclusivlely for the first probably 3years (16-19) for whatever reason my race bikes had killswitches on left side and the key was in the same place, dirt, asphault or commuter.... but the last few years i def use the killswitch as primary... i can only think its because i pull into my house and park it with the wall on the left side, so i like to kill it and put down the kickstand as i ride up to my "chock" (an old vending machine i bump into every time)

·
Registered
265 Posts
I normally kill it with the switch, then turn it back on, then turn the key off.
why is that wisper? i know it says to use the key like every 5 times in the manual but i didnt interperet that as with the motor still running... did i miss something.

·
Registered
23,742 Posts
the MSF courses tell you killswitch.... cause its right there... i didnt care, used my ignition exclusivlely for the first probably 3years (16-19) for whatever reason my race bikes had killswitches on left side and the key was in the same place, dirt, asphault or commuter.... but the last few years i def use the killswitch as primary... i can only think its because i pull into my house and park it with the wall on the left side, so i like to kill it and put down the kickstand as i ride up to my "chock" (an old vending machine i bump into every time)
I can understand that but to use it for any other reason to just turn the bike off don't make sense you still have to use the ignition switch to turn you lights off and disconnect power..:heyyou:

On that note of the Kill switch I had an interesting thing happen with me last weekend on the HWY....I was tucked down low using my thumb cruise control and then seen a HWY Patrol in front of me and I hit the Kill switch with my thumb by accident :badteeth:but didn't know it at the time and the bike shut off........I was like WTF happened.....then I quickly realized looking down then hit the Kill switch again and the engine started on the fly and on the hwy without hitting the starter. :thumbsup:...just FYI if it ever happens to someone else :lol::headshake:lol:

·
Registered
179 Posts
kill switch because that leaves my headlights on so i can pull it in the shead at night and still have light.

·
Registered
23,742 Posts
kill switch because that leaves my headlights on so i can pull it in the shead at night and still have light.
THAT MAKES SENSE AS WELL....abprep07....YOU SAID KILL SWITCH WITH NO REASON OR RIME....WHAT GIVES?

·
Registered
23,742 Posts
OK, I will give a reason when I use the kill switch consistantly.....when I drive the bike up on the ramp or lift I don't have time or want to mess with the Ignition I just shut it off quick. :mrgreen:

bloo

·
Registered
144 Posts
kill switch then key every time, 1stly for the lights to remain on when pulling into the yard @ night not to wake neighbors, and 2ndly because my pops showed me that way when I first started riding.

·
Registered
27 Posts
why is that wisper? i know it says to use the key like every 5 times in the manual but i didnt interperet that as with the motor still running... did i miss something.
I just meant that i kill it with the switch, then turn the switch back on before turning the key off, i could have worded it a little better i guess. I just do this out of habit i guess. I park in gear so it's easier for me to keep my hand on the front brake till it's dead this way, plus the fact that the lights stay on too.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
On that note of the Kill switch I had an interesting thing happen with me last weekend on the HWY....I was tucked down low using my thumb cruise control and then seen a HWY Patrol in front of me and I hit the Kill switch with my thumb by accident :badteeth:but didn't know it at the time and the bike shut off........I was like WTF happened.....then I quickly realized looking down then hit the Kill switch again and the engine started on the fly and on the hwy without hitting the starter. :thumbsup:...just FYI if it ever happens to someone else :lol::headshake:lol:
duh....you basically "push started" it at hwy speeds. :heyyou:

:wink:

·
Registered
23,742 Posts
duh....you basically "push started" it at hwy speeds. :heyyou:

:wink:
yeah.....that's my ******* way of starting a bike. :wink:

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think I am going to have to go with ignition. I think I can control my bike well enough to let go with 1 hand to turn it off.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I can understand that but to use it for any other reason to just turn the bike off don't make sense you still have to use the ignition switch to turn you lights off and disconnect power..:heyyou:

hhahah Good stuff!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ignition...forgot my key in it once after using kill switch. Plus I can't really think of a reason to need the kill switch in an emergency. Question though...does the gen 1 have a safety cut off for when it's dropped or in a crash?

·
Registered
23,742 Posts
Ignition...forgot my key in it once after using kill switch. Plus I can't really think of a reason to need the kill switch in an emergency. Question though...does the gen 1 have a safety cut off for when it's dropped or in a crash?
yes it's called a Tip Over sensor....mercury or metal ball inside I believe and when over 70deg it shuts the Ignition off.

bloo

1 - 20 of 24 Posts