Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 ZX10R:
I had to replace valve springs on the bike and when I turned the key on I had a F11 code. One of the pins on the TSP pushed back when I plugged it in. Got it straightened out.. Now the bike won't rev past 9K in neutral or other gears. No more FI lights/trouble codes. I have no idea if this bike did it before. Owner complained it was low on power, but it was new to him and he didn't flog it in the short time of owning it. Could it be in limp mode, is there a limp mode?

After testing last night I noticed the bike will rev to the limiter if I am not a 100% throttle. Maybe 95%. So I check the TPS voltage tests:
Source V=5.073
TPS Main: .772-4.026
TPS Sub: .882-4.103
Doing the math in the book states:
Main TPS
.66*5.073/5=.669
4.62*5.073/5=4.68
Sub TPS:
4.35*5.073/5=4.41
.88*5.073/5=.992
WTH. I saw similar readings in some older posts.

Another interesting thing: When I do a resistance sweep test there is an area of throttle position, at about 80-90%, where the resistance increases, then lowers slightly, then raises. I believe it was 1.65K OHM. So it increases to 1.65, then 1.7, then 1.68, then 1.75, 1.8, then 1.6. When doing a voltage test, key on, I don't see the anomaly. Voltage rises with no glitches.

When the bike is cold, I can rev full throttle and it hits 12K+
When hot, anytime I go WOT it sounds like on rev limiter at 9K. When riding and WOT it pulls to 9K and studders, like on rev limiter. If I back off slightly it will pull past 9K.

Pump failed the 72ml test.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Took the pump apart for the second time. Backflushed the black canister another time. This time many times with carb cleaner and air. Put it back on and it flowed a good 150cc in 4 seconds, maybe more.

So this brings up another issue. When I removed the tank to change the valve springs I heard a noise in the tank. Removed the pump and found a regulator in the tank, but there was a new one on the pump. I removed the regulator, reinstalled the pump and forgot about it. Went for a ride yesterday and lost fuel pressure. Took it apart and the new regulator was pushed out of the pump. Had a hard time getting the pump out as the white plastic clip moved sideways preventing the pump from coming out. I re-installed it, but used safety wire around the pump to hold the plastic clip.
At that time I still did not have enough fuel volume to satisfy the engine.

Now... back to the black canister... I wonder if the plugged canister causes more flow to be routed to the regulator and the clip just can't take the volume/pressure at the regulator and pops off. Hence why some install a higher volume pump and the regulator pops off...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts