Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since i started my performance mods i have been looking for adjustable ignition advancer.So far I have the sato slip w/pcusb,Gilles rearsets,factory pro v-stacks,and shift star.I'am waiting to throw on my stacks and t.r.e. but want to ad ignition advancer so if anyone knows anything fill me in.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
The right way to do this, IF you want to do this, is to re-map the ECU. A plain old-fashioned advancer changes the timing by a fixed amount throughout the speed/load range, which isn't really the right solution.

If you read the documentation on the PowerCommander website, a version of the PowerCommander with adjustable ignition mapping is not available because fiddling with the ignition timing doesn't do much on modern bikes that are quite optimized right off the showroom floor. (I tend to suspect another reason it's not available because it would be too easy for people to adjust things that they shouldn't be adjusting, and blow something apart.)

This engine has a very high compression ratio in stock form. There is a big risk of detonation if the ignition timing is advanced too far. If the ignition timing is already at the best-torque point, any change to the ignition timing will result in a LOSS of power. If the ignition timing is detonation-limited, advancing it to best torque will require the use of higher-octane fuel ... and this engine already wants premium. If the ignition timing is retarded for emissions or noise reasons, this is only likely to be in the low-speed part-load range (the EPA test procedure is only under those conditions) and not at the full-load range, so no effect on power.

Methinks for normal street use, don't mess with it except maybe for the TRE. I have messed around on other bikes with ignition timing, and I really only found it useful on a non-stock carbureted bike to cover up a mid-range rich spot. The right solution would be to get the air/fuel ratio right ... with carbs, only SO much can be done; with EFI and your Power Commander, you can get it a lot closer. It's better to fix the problem at the source (wrong air/fuel ratio causing slow combustion) than to cover it up by advancing the timing ...

You could always buy the kit Kawasaki ECU for US$1700 and fiddle to your heart's content, if you insist upon it ... If you want to run high-octane "race fuel", there could be power to be found; with pump gas, I doubt there's much if you want to keep some safety margin against detonation ...

I messed around with bikes in my younger days, and I still mess with my race bike because it matters. For street bikes, I've learned why things are the way they are over the years, and I mostly leave them stock and just ride them ...

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
That's the easy way to do it. Cost: $0, and reversible if you don't like it.

I wonder how much margin there is against detonation ... ? ? ? Will depend on the octane of the fuel you are using. Also, it will be temperature dependent ... same setting that gives no detonation with outside temperature 10 degrees C may have detonation if you are stuck in traffic with outside temperature 35 degrees C and you can't get premium fuel ...

I normally stay on the conservative side with internet recommendations, in the interest of not having people say "But you said it was OK, I tried it and melted a piston!"

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Ivan said:
I slotted the pick-up coil and added appx. 4 degrees of advance......The bike picked up 3 hp at peak with gains starting at 6000 rpm.

I have no detonation problems.

Ivan
Ivan

What were your findings below 6k ??

BD

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
calirider
let us know how those velocity stacks turn out. Also, I thought I saw that factory pro is doing R&D on an ignotion advancer for the 10.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ivan-I'm curious to see dynos as well, specifically in the mid. Biggest problem I'm having with my race bike is wanting it to hit softer in the mid. It just wants to light the tire off when you get back in the gas. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
put a throttle limiter on it and set it @ 1/3 :wave:

BD

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
You could get a ful system that loses mid range hp. That is one way!

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Ivan,
Your map is for a full akro though correct? What about those of us using slip ons? Would we be running overly rich?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Top Shelf said:
Maybe then you could keep up!!!! You have any days coming up BD?
probably still couldn't :sad:

unfortunately not. my 05 dates will more than likely be Sat April 2nd & Sat Sept 3rd.

BD

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Ivan said:
I slotted the pick-up coil and added appx. 4 degrees of advance......The bike picked up 3 hp at peak with gains starting at 6000 rpm.

I have no detonation problems.

Ivan
Would you mind stepping us through the proceedure? How much did slot it? Is it a true 4 degrees of rotation of the pick-up?

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
zx9rmal said:
Ivan -

What does your TRE do for the ZX-10R?

Thanks.
Good question... Also, see my thread about 186 mph top speed limitation via timing retard please.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts