Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't find much on this subject.
On a normally aspirated engine i.e. not nitrous, turbo etc; has anyone seen any gains from using this when tuning their motor, other than getting the unlock code for the extra revs ?
Any HP gained anywhere, Improved response, Smoother engine, anything.
If not then why should I buy this over getting my ECU flashed for the extra revs ?
Any good info appreciated.
Cheers Ergo

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
You can gain 2 to 3 hp tops on the big end....I cant give an answer for the rev extend.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
timing

stk. mtr., higher octane = slower burn= less cyl. pressure= less hp. increased timing with higher octane basically starts burn a few degrees earlier, with a fuel that burns a few degrees later.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Contact Ivans performance and you can buy one from him that already has a custom ignition map installed in it already. Will run cooler and make more horsepower.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi samurai10R, Ign Module not needed for the PC3 at least on 1st gen, already have a Q.S. attached & working fine.

Was hoping for more detailed feedback, i.e. dyno figures, definitive advantages, anyone ?
Cheers Ergo

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Hi samurai10R, Ign Module not needed for the PC3 at least on 1st gen, already have a Q.S. attached & working fine.

Was hoping for more detailed feedback, i.e. dyno figures, definitive advantages, anyone ?
Cheers Ergo
I told you the gains in my earlier posts. 2 to 3 tops:thumbsup:
I know because i got one and tuned my bike with it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Dirt Ninja, got that. :thumbsup:
Was wondering if it became more essential if you start upping the c/r, or pushing the tuning any further.
Am asuming Ivans map is for a stock or different bike cos if I am correct you would have the timing map done when you have your fuel map done ?
Am just toying round with ideas for the winter, so far am undecided :dontknow:
Cheers Ergo

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
Thanks Dirt Ninja, got that. :thumbsup:
Was wondering if it became more essential if you start upping the c/r, or pushing the tuning any further.
Am asuming Ivans map is for a stock or different bike cos if I am correct you would have the timing map done when you have your fuel map done ?
Am just toying round with ideas for the winter, so far am undecided :dontknow:
Cheers Ergo
Ivans ignition timing map is pretty basic stuff, +10 degrees at the bottom and progresively less as the revs increase till about +4 degress at the top. Kinda like in the old days with a +4 ignition advancer, or the older Dyna 2000's that gave you +10 at the bottom, or about 20 degrees total and about 38-40 degrees total up top. No real dark science in his ignition mapping.

Virtually all 4 cylinder 4 valve head bikes like the simialr advance, about 38-40 at the top.

Since most bikes come with +10 advance at idle, Ivan adding the 10 at idle makes 20, about the same as the old Dyna systems gave old school bikes. Nothing new here. It does work though.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I don't know if it counts for all bikes, but Ivan claims on the Gen3 better fuel efficiency and cooler engine temps. Also 6hp on the Gen3.

·
Registered
70 Posts
can anyone post a Pic of Ivans ignition advance? would like to set my ignition module up and start playing with it from there

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
You can advance the ignition timing 4 degrees (across the board ...) by slotting the holes in the ignition pickup sensor. I've done it to mine and it has been running like that for a while. No problems. I've only heard one ping, when I let the clutch out too quick and bogged it.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
What was weird with my case was that i initally added 4 degrees and the bike liked it over a year ago. However when i put 4 degrees back in again recently, my bike lost power. I had to back it down to 3 degrees for some odd reason. If i had to guess why, i would contribute it to the ethanol in todays gasoline. I would recommend everyone back there timing back to 3 instead of the old 4 degrees.

·
Registered
502 Posts
You can advance the ignition timing 4 degrees (across the board ...) by slotting the holes in the ignition pickup sensor. I've done it to mine and it has been running like that for a while. No problems. I've only heard one ping, when I let the clutch out too quick and bogged it.

can you PM me with a lil more details?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts