Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I narrowed down the buzz/rattle to my ignition lockset area.. I have read all the other threads about header bolts and/or motor mounts.. Also the threads involving shimming the key with vacuum tubing/o-rings as well as checking the clearance of the wire loop at the bottom of the lockset, and have done these with no such luck... It usually happens either at low or high RPM only, when the vibes are at their worst. At low RPM its more of a rattle, and at high RPM its more of a buzz.... Any thoughts on what this could be?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Here are a few ideas from other threads.

-for people having lots of vibration from 3500 rpm to 5000 rpm try pulling off your sliders and re torque middle motor mount bolt to spec 34 flbs and your viberations will be gone, it solved all of mine.

- I just went out and used a screwdriver to gently pry out the "wings" that hold the bracket for the cables out so that it doesn't touch the ignition cylinder at all and WTF do ya know, rattle is gone!

-push down on the key and also on the ring that goes around the key and see if this helps elimate the buzz sound

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30986&highlight=2nd+gen+ignition+buzz

·
Registered
2,528 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! Looks like I will have a busy weekend of detective work. I will try the motor mount re-tourque, WD40, and wing/tab bending, etc.. I also saw a few comments about the mirror(s) and guages.. Although I am certain that it is from the lockset area.. I think the wing tabs, WD40, and/or lock set screws may be the culprits.. Is the screw mod for the tiny phillips head screws that hold the housing together? Because the lockset seems to be riveted to the upper triple.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did the same thing, a pc of hose and an o-ring, which seemed to deaden some of the noise... I will have to dig a little deeper.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I did read a negative comment on using WD40 or a type of lube inside the lock which would result in dust/dirt collecting over time gumming up the ignition. Not sure if it was just the one person or others who tried that solution have had that issue.

I did also read about the mirrors/gauge/fairing but you seemed to have already narrowed it down to the ignition area which is why I left those solutions off the thread.

Someone had also mentioned gas cap springs but I omitted that as a possible cause for yours as well.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're dead on, it has to be the wings or the shear bolts.. I agree, the WD40 seems like a temp fix at best.. Which may cause even more problems later on. I'll try bending the wings (again, but this time as instructed by others who said it worked), and if not I would imagine that its the bolts.. The lockset is extremely loose.. I may even try to find a way to shim it vs. taking apart the the upper or removing the triple and drilling then replacing...

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
You're dead on, it has to be the wings or the shear bolts.. I agree, the WD40 seems like a temp fix at best.. Which may cause even more problems later on. I'll try bending the wings (again, but this time as instructed by others who said it worked), and if not I would imagine that its the bolts.. The lockset is extremely loose.. I may even try to find a way to shim it vs. taking apart the the upper or removing the triple and drilling then replacing...
Sounds good. Best of luck to ya and let us know how it turns out.

Time for me to get back to work. :sad:

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Not sure if I said this already but some also mentioned the clutch cable. You can try to tighten it up a lot to see if it gets rid of it but don't forget to loosen it back up before you actually ride..... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
10-4, I will post an update this weekend after I dive into it. Thanks again for all the help! Time for me to get back to work as well..

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tried bending the "wings" last night.. No dice.. I am almost certain that it is the sheer bolts being too loose... I am going to try and shim them with some C-Clips or something to see if that works before having to drill them out to replace..

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I tried bending the "wings" last night.. No dice.. I am almost certain that it is the sheer bolts being too loose... I am going to try and shim them with some C-Clips or something to see if that works before having to drill them out to replace..
Damn that sucks man. I hope it's that and not something else because the work involved to try that would probably be more involved.

Just make sure you check everything else first so you don't end up doing too much.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Partial RELIEF!! I found the source of one of the noises!! The high RPM buzz (around 6750+) I was hearing is not from the ignition, rather from the clutch side frame slider! If I hold it in that RPM range the buzz goes away.. I have the sliders with the carbon fiber collars that slide over the actual slider itself, so more than likely this is the source of the buzz. I will remove it and see if the buzz returns, if not, then I will most likely spread black caulk on the inside of the collar that goes over the slider and re-install. Black caulk in case any oozes out while re-installing. It could also be that the slider itself is simply loose. The ignition rattle is still there around 4k RPM, but I usually ride in the upper RPM range anyways.. If I press down HARD on the key it goes away, even though I have a fuel line and o-ring on the key. So I am fearing the worse, which is having to remove the upper triple and replace the shear bolts.. But for now, the high RPM buzz will soon be a thing of the past, which was the most annoying of the two considering its distraction at higher speeds.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Slider buzz fixed: The rear most slider mount is like a cone flange and it was vibrating against the axle bolt from the right side slider. I wedged apart, installed a rubber tapered grommet, and no more buzz. On to the ignition rattle now.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Slider buzz fixed: The rear most slider mount is like a cone flange and it was vibrating against the axle bolt from the right side slider. I wedged apart, installed a rubber tapered grommet, and no more buzz. On to the ignition rattle now.
Sweet man. I think one of those posts I had mentioned a frame slider being one of the sources. One down one to go. :lol:

Like you said at least you got rid of the more annoying one. Good luck with the ignition if you ever decide to dive into it. I don't have that bad of a buzz just normal engine sounds though so I'm not sure how bad it really is. If it was just a minor thing I don't think I'd go through the trouble of replacing those bolts unless I really couldn't stand the buzz.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yup, I may just live with the low RPM rattle.. Really not too bad.. The shimmed out key took care of the majority of the noise, so like you said it may not be worth tearing apart.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts