Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... because the lack of a steering damper probably contributed to a crash that cost a member of a local riding group his life (Sunday 3 Oct).

He was known as "Fangs" ... see www.haltonsportbike.com for more.

Today's proceedings included 70 sportbike riders in full leathers, myself included, and it attracted enough attention in the small town of Welland where Fangs lived, to make the local TV news (CHTV Hamilton).

Today's final group event was a low-speed retrace of Fangs last ride, stopping at the crash site where the marks on the pavement clearly showed a front wheel landing not-quite-straight from a wheelie, followed by 4 side-to-side oscillations growing more and more violent, followed by one final skid-mark and scrapes on the pavement where the bike (a Honda CBR929) spit him off.

That was also my last ride on the ZX10R without a steering damper, because (for me) the next stop was a local shop where I had had my Ohlins damper on order since before this happened.

Fangs, rest in peace, buddy.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I got the Scotts as the first mod for mine. I had a scary experience without one and that was it for me. Anyone I know that is interested in the bike, it is the first thing I tell them "get a steering damper before you get ANYTHING or this thing will kill you". Enuf said. Sorry to hear about this guy.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
you set the front end down crooked from a high speed wheelie and a steering damper may not save your hide. The only way to insure you don't get spit off is to make sure the wheel's straight when it hits the ground. I've had my fair share of shakes from the front end when setting her down, I've just learned to pay a little more attention the where the bars are pointed. This holds true for any motorcycle capable of wheelies though, not just the 10R.

RIP Fangs, and for the rest of us, Be careful out there, especially when screwing around.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
just got my arata in the mail and didnt get a damper since i figured i'd wait till next month, save a couple bucks on interest from the credit card...think i'll order the hyperpro tomorrow...fuck i got kids like fangs too!
galdding you are voicing my concern that a damper may not help coming out of a turned-front-wheel wheelie, i tend to go slightly left on impact and she bucks...
fangs i'll heed your message and make the order in the morning...

RIP

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I don't know about everyone else but i think it is cheap insurance....when flying thru the woods or around corners a lot of times there is no run off or shoulder on the side of the road, to have a tank slapper or even have the bars go back and forth 3 to 4 times before regaining control may be too late.....cheap insurance to have the bars stop at 1 time and be able to finish the corner and not see birdies nesting in the trees...

·
Я - Ребен&#108
3,563 Posts
gladding24 said:
you set the front end down crooked from a high speed wheelie and a steering damper may not save your hide. The only way to insure you don't get spit off is to make sure the wheel's straight when it hits the ground. I've had my fair share of shakes from the front end when setting her down, I've just learned to pay a little more attention the where the bars are pointed. This holds true for any motorcycle capable of wheelies though, not just the 10R.

RIP Fangs, and for the rest of us, Be careful out there, especially when screwing around.
Ol Von dont do Wheelies.

poped a few (other bike) it just didnt have the apeal to me, Endo's/stoppies do tho!
I know speed kills but wheelies kill a lot also.
RIP.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Vonstallin said:
...I know speed kills but wheelies kill a lot also.
RIP.
You're damn right Von, prolly more often than outright speed does.

Play safe guys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts