56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i ordered 05 cbr1000 brake calipers , new pads and SS lines

should i also replace the master cylinder while im doing the job

·
Registered
279 Posts
Absolutely!!

No sense leaving it and wondering what if, or worse yet, not being completely satisfied with the results of your work thus far.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i hear you

this is one aspect i shouldnt try and cut corners on and save some cost

but it kills me to pay more for the MC than the two calipers

·
Registered
279 Posts
Look around for a Nissin MC or even a Brembo (stocker) from a Yamaha R1/R6 (I believe 2005 and newer are Brembo). You can usually find them around for a decent price.

I personally just got a Nissin MC from a 2009 ZX-6R and paid $45 shipped for it. The deals are out there, just lurk some other forums... You may even be able to find a package deal of Nissin calipers and MC for a decent price. I started out with CBR calipers and sold them off and ended up with the Nissins.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have an 07 ZX-10R on 07 CBR1000 calipers, HH pads, SS lines on the stock OEM MC and I fell back in love with my bike. Im wondering if I should try to get more out of my brakes or if there is a way. Only 2 things left to do is swap out calipers for ZX14 calipers or swap the MC. Not sure what one will give me more stopping power.

Also dont forget, use DOT4 brake fluid

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah the brake calipers are on there way

i go them on ebay for 56 shiped

and i think i can get the master cylinder for about 45 or so
then an afternoon and a couple of beers and she will be all set up

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Personally Id just do the calipers and pads, and ss lines if you have some extra $$$. The initial difference is huge! Get used to that for a while. I did this and am very satisfied. If later you want 'more' upgrade the MC. But bang for your buck and return on investment you need to start with the calipers. If thats all you do you will be extremely happy.
Good luck.

·
Registered
265 Posts
really no need for master cylinder if you do calipers ( + 5mm spacers ), lines and good pads. Just bleed the mc too by loosening the banjo bolt ( if it's gen 1 ).

·
Registered
469 Posts
yeah i got a 09 zx10 master and steel braided lines... just waiting to choose which calipers.. im leaning towards 08 cbr 1k or 07 r1, i wonder if the new 6 piston r1 calipers could work?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts