Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Caedite Eos Novit Enim Do
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few of us took a ride yesterday afternoon and while eating a little supper we got on the current shit storm called ama/dmg's racing series. we all were in agreement that whoever starts one ( i know i know we've heard this before but the rumors on the street is something is in the works:dontknow:) should follow FIM world SBK type rules, it seems to be working quite well over in europe & other countries where they race. what other suggestions can you guys think of? im done with ama, i hope somebody steps up to the plate & gets U.S motorcycle roadracing back on track:badteeth:

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,634 Posts
:iamwithst

Totally agree with you on this. Adopt the WSBK model and be done. That series is popular everywhere else and the US might actually attract/train some high caliber riders into the series with some close racing that the manufacturers would get behind and support. In fact, I would imagine that if the AMA series was virtually identical to the WSBK rules, the manufacturers could control costs by using the same machines to run both series. :idea:

From the looks of the current AMA series and the support its getting, I bet next year it will be non-existant. :headshake

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
I would like to se the Premier class pretty much mirror WSBK, I think they have a formula that works pretty well right now (until Ducati builds a even bigger twin and wants it legal that is)

I would also like to see, just for shits and giggles, a completely box stock class. Only mods are race bodywork and DOT tires. You could remove all the signals and safety wire and stuff, but i mean box stock, no exhaust, no ecu, no suspension, no brake upgrads, just stock. i think that would be alot of fun to watch, only problem is no pro racers or teams would want anything to do with it.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I would like to se the Premier class pretty much mirror WSBK, I think they have a formula that works pretty well right now (until Ducati builds a even bigger twin and wants it legal that is)

I would also like to see, just for shits and giggles, a completely box stock class. Only mods are race bodywork and DOT tires. You could remove all the signals and safety wire and stuff, but i mean box stock, no exhaust, no ecu, no suspension, no brake upgrads, just stock. i think that would be alot of fun to watch, only problem is no pro racers or teams would want anything to do with it.
what about suspension and brake upgrades, that might be a safety issue considering the speeds and hard braking needed for racing?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
what about suspension and brake upgrades, that might be a safety issue considering the speeds and hard braking needed for racing?
No, I agree with 9r... Keep it stock, that way we will never get another 10r with crappy brakes like the 1st and 2nd gen bikes. Make it the manufacturer's problem to make sure they put the good shit on there.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,634 Posts
Nope! I see where 9R is going with that and it makes sense to me. NO upgrades to the bikes at all. Talk about a cheap series for the privateers to get in on and the ultimate in bike reviews. Stock vs stock, you'd know if an R1 is better at the track than a CBR/ZX/GSXR or vice versa (yeah it's all about the rider, but still). If the OEM brakes or suspension isn't up to handling the speeds, then you don't/can't ride the bike as hard and that's your limitation to deal with as a rider.

I think it would be a neat concept for a support class.

·
Accountant in training.
2,847 Posts
:+1:

Just imagine how good the bikes would become if they had to run them stock! :helmet:

I don't see how adopting WSBK rules is going to make for better, closer racing in the US. There just isn't the support ($$$$) for it here. And up until this year, we had rules that allowed for big $$ super bikes. How did that work out? :wink:

BTW, 2 riders other than Matt Mladin on something other than a Suzuki have actually won races this year... Mladin still has a commanding lead in the points, but you'd have to go back pretty far to find a year where 3 different makes of bike have won races in AMA Superbikes.

Chris

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Nope! I see where 9R is going with that and it makes sense to me. NO upgrades to the bikes at all. Talk about a cheap series for the privateers to get in on and the ultimate in bike reviews. Stock vs stock, you'd know if an R1 is better at the track than a CBR/ZX/GSXR or vice versa (yeah it's all about the rider, but still). If the OEM brakes or suspension isn't up to handling the speeds, then you don't/can't ride the bike as hard and that's your limitation to deal with as a rider.

I think it would be a neat concept for a support class.
Exactly, if Kawi wants to put crappy brakes on the bike, thats their perogitive, if anything, bikes flaws will be magnified and manufacturers will make changes to the bikes, i.e some italian bikes come with SS lines, etc. Adding small stuff to production bikes ,could make a big difference if there was emphasis on a all stock series.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Exactly, if Kawi wants to put crappy brakes on the bike, thats their perogitive, if anything, bikes flaws will be magnified and manufacturers will make changes to the bikes, i.e some italian bikes come with SS lines, etc. Adding small stuff to production bikes ,could make a big difference if there was emphasis on a all stock series.
exactly but look at the price for those DUC's and Aprilla's thats a price difference of a couple G's because they come with superior equipment. We all complain cause new 10's are selling for 11-12K's imagine a zx-10 for 16K?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,634 Posts
exactly but look at the price for those DUC's and Aprilla's thats a price difference of a couple G's because they come with superior equipment. We all complain cause new 10's are selling for 11-12K's imagine a zx-10 for 16K?
The answer to this is you don't allow the "upgraded" versions into the series. No "S" or "R" or "RR" models allowed. Only the base models of the bikes will be able to compete to prevent this from happening. You'll see that a stock $11k ZX-10 is just as competetive as a base model 1098 for $16k, but the manufacturers will sell more of the lower priced ZX-10's for $11k than a 1098 or RSV. Simple economics will win out every time IMO.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts

Maybe, but the manufactures would still have to balance the importance of racing and selling bikes. Not many guys would buy a 16K zx-10r (I would if it already came with high end stuff, i.e yamaha R1 SE, that they did) but I am in the minority there. I don't think it would get to out of control, but we are only dreaming here, this is not something I see hapening, but it would be cool.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I like the idea and maybe it would be a stepping stone for young riders

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I have been dying for a Kawi to do a ZX10RR since they first released pics of the 04.
I would hope they do it right to, not ZX6RR style.
Yeah, cause you need another bike to mod all to hell... :thefinger

·
Caedite Eos Novit Enim Do
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
:+1:
I don't see how adopting WSBK rules is going to make for better, closer racing in the US. There just isn't the support ($$$$) for it here. And up until this year, we had rules that allowed for big $$ super bikes. How did that work out? :wink:

no way man, world Sbk rules would benefit everybody in the end. if we here in the US had similar prepped machines like the one's in europe i think that in itself would cut alot of cost, instead of a US spec race bike & a european spec race bike (build one for all). it would also make our american boys better prepared for battle if and when they decide to race on the world level, they would be familier with the bikes already. As far as how ama racing was the last few years i didnt think it was bad at all, infact last year we went to the ama sbk weekend in lexington ohio & that place was packed, it was the best sporting event id ever been too. Please please somebody come out with a new badass motorcycle racing series!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I think we are all in agreement here...GayMA/ DMG is a horrible product and something needs to emerge as a viable replacement. If not, American motorcycle racing will soon be gone.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I would like to see a series that adopted WSGK rules in toto...then all teams could race everywhere and be in sync....

then you would have a true World Superbike Series...

As a secondary series I would also like to see completely stock liter bikes race..

Anyone recall the series where 12 cars were prepared to exact specifications then world class drivers from all different types of auto racing were the drivers?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Duplicate FIM rules in SBK and SSS and run with it. AMA and DMG are f*ckin outcasts now......

·
Registered
1,161 Posts

100% agree on wsbk rules. The DOT clas is a good idea too. It would really only apply privateers who want to get noticed on a small budget. Understandably, no team rider would want to touch it. But I'd much rather watch it than moto-st and prob even 600 supersport.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts