Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Idleing high after butterfly removal??????

3K views 46 replies 16 participants last post by  pj168rwhp 
#1 ·
so i have been reading thoroughly about removing the flies so i did tonight. Now i went out to test it and it ran great but it wont come down any less than about 3700-4000 rpm's. i tried the idle adjusting screw and got it to idle higher but not any lower. what could be the issue? any help would be great ! thank you in advance.

#10 · (Edited)
got the airbox off now. it looks like the primaries are closing all the way but when i roll forward a little they shut just a bit more like maybe 1/3 cm (if thats a number) i dont know? im skerd to turn out the idle too much and have the adjuster come out cause i turn it in till it idles up then turn it out till it wont go down anymore. i dont know cables look good. there is not much in there that can mess with them.

i also have Ivans TRE on there. Would that make a difference?

#11 ·
well i am whoring my own thread...sorry. Anyways, after my last post i checked all the vacume lines, cables, etc. to make sure everything was good buttoned her back up took her for a spin and this is prolly the most incredible mod i have done so far. she takes a little longer to come back down to idle but when she does she is right at about 1500. And 1500, i like. seems like she pulls through corners a bit easier and damn does she respond @ like 3 and 4 thousand will a little snap of the wrist. All in all, thank you guys for your help. I love how there is so much knowledge spread about this forum.:thumbsup::eek:ccasion1

#18 ·
You have to turn down the idle screw. Its on the left side of the bike above the front sprocket cover.

On my 06 ZX10R I added the Gipro at the same time when I pulled the secondaries out. First time I started it up it idles at @ 4K! You have to turn the throttle adjustment down when the secondaries have been removed.

We have done this mod a number of times at our shop, Turning down the throttle idle screw is the proper way to adjust it to get it to idle properly.

#19 ·
yep i turned out the idle adjusting screw too. it gets to where it doesnt turn down anymore and i am afraid to turn t all the way out. this is the method i used. Turned it clockwise until the rpm's started to go up. stopped then started to reverse the screw counterclockwise until it would not turn down anymore-no matter how much more i turn it-and it still is idleing at about 14-1500 unless i manually roll my throttle forward.

#21 ·
Pretty simple to check throttle cable, just look at the butterflies wile you open and close the throttle.
The throttle bodies should be closed all the way when the throttle is released.
If not you will need to go back and inspect routing and adjustments.
Stock grips? make sure the grip is not interfering with the throttle tube closing all the way.
No need to mess with anything else until you have done this as you will only complicate the problem.
I removed the secondary throttle body plates and the RPM did not change at all.
How many hoses did you reconnect to your air box?

#22 ·
i reconnected 2 hoses. One large and one small. while i had the airbox off messed with the throttle and watched what happened. it looks like they are closed all the way, but like i said i can roll the throttle forward and the butterflies move prolly like 1/32 or even less closed. i wouldnt think that would be that large of a deal.

#25 ·
there are three hoses total, one is an airbox drain.
You should be able to loosen your throttle cables to the point the throttle bodies close all the way.
None of this rolling it closed.
Then adjust the two cables even to the point you have full throttle operation open and closed.

#23 ·
Did you mess with any of the throttle position switches?

#27 ·
You would know if you messed with these.They operate off of voltage.They allow the ecu to know the throttle posistion from idle to full throtlle allowing proper fuel injector operation.There are two of them,main and sub.They can be adjusted.If you did not touch these then dont you can make the idle worse.

#29 ·
I thought so :smile:

Again, back to the point.
removing the secondary throttle plates does not change idle speed. (ok +/- 50 rpm)

I have a feeling the problem of high idle is from the adjustment and or cable routing of the throttle cable.

Do you have another stock ZX-10 to look at and compare?

I had to adjust my throttle cable with 0 miles on the bike, the person who set up the bike had the routing incorrect around the ram air intake.

always a good idea before riding a new bike to turn the handlebars from stop to stop and make sure the throttle and or lights are not affected.

Most of the time Jap bikes don't need to reset the TPS.

btw, silly question but.. is there anything inside the throttle bodies keeping the plates from closing all the way?

#35 ·
#41 ·
only after i hit it or race

i have the same problem and i have check all the ideas that you guys have put up here..
i still have the same problem but only after i hit it real hard or race. the it's like i didnt burn all the fuel and the rpms will not go down and bike wants to keep going. do you think my baffles has all that compression trapped in a gas form.

#42 ·
the it's like i didnt burn all the fuel and the rpms will not go down and bike wants to keep going. do you think my baffles has all that compression trapped in a gas form.
No trapped compression/gas.
You should not theorize as you have no idea what you are talking about.:mrgreen:
That said you can learn what is really going on and also get a working knowledge of your bike.

To start with if you have attempted any mods work you way backwards and see if your problems go away.
As in idle return to normal.

If i can be of any help let me know.

#43 ·
i know i have no idea in why it keeps doing this.this is why im asking you guys. and thanks for any help you can give. the only mod that i made is removing the secondary butterflies and power commander and an after market exhaust. everything else is stock on this bike. i have back tracked and the idle is normal even on a normal ride as long as i dont get on the throttle to hard. i have checked cables , i have check to have sure the flaps a completely closed when i release the throttle. i have checked the airbox made sure to corrosion on any of the lines. i dont know what else to check

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.