Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search but didn't turn anything up....

My bike recently has been having issues with the idleing.
When i start the bike up it runs fine but if i rev it up past 7000 it falls and sticks at 7000 rpms. If i twist forward on the throttle it will die.

Lastnight we pulled the throttle cables lubed them found no kinks or anyitng, reinstalled them and the problem still existed.

Also pulled the throttle bodies, inspected them, they are super clean couldn't find any issues.

Unplugged the powercommander and tried again... Problem is worse w/ powercommander unplugged.. When it was unplugged it as soon as you start the bike it would instantly rev up...

Im torn on what this could be, does anyone have any advise? Or has anyone had this problem?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
753 Posts
The cause to this is usually a TPS gone bad.
Is your bike showing an FI code? (red led blinking)

The TPS check procedure starts at page 3-50 for the main TPS, and 3-80 for the subthrottle TPS, in the service manual.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No lights blinking... No fi light..

·
Registered
753 Posts
OK then. Raise the tank to gain access to the air box; open the air box, start the engine, and look at the secondary butterflies movement.
If you see erratic movement of them OR they are partially or about completely closed when the engine is idling around 7000rpm then one of the TPS is bad, even if there's no FI code (Normal position of the secondaries at normal 7000 rpm is fully opened).

In that case do the checking procedure according to the pages in the service manual I indicated you.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right on man, thanks a lot!! I will get that checked out tonight

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Soooo i just contacted the kaw shop and to replace the sensors they say you have to buy the whole throttle body assm.. Which runs 1200 bucks.. Anyone have another route to getting these parts????

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Soooo i just contacted the kaw shop and to replace the sensors they say you have to buy the whole throttle body assm.. Which runs 1200 bucks.. Anyone have another route to getting these parts????
Wow that is highway robbery. Good luck. I HATE it when a company tries to sell you some assembly when all you need is a small part!

Me: "I need this bolt"
Them: "Ohh that bolt? Well you have to buy a whole engine for that bolt."

:headshake

·
Registered
763 Posts
I've got a bike that i'm in the works of picking up to part out. All i need is the motor, and i'm getting the bike pretty cheap. If you are interested i would be willing to part with what you need for around 1/3 what they want new. The thread is called 04/05 parts feeler.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have no idea if it is.. Yeah mine is an 06. This blows really bad.. I cant find the sensor aftermarket anywhere!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow that is highway robbery. Good luck. I hate it when a company tries to sell you some assembly when all you need is a small part!

Me: "i need this bolt"
them: "ohh that bolt? Well you have to buy a whole engine for that bolt."

:headshake
they call them stealerships for a reason... The bike may have to sit out this season.. Times tough, money is hard....

Reactions: Sebastian1000

·
Registered
819 Posts
First check all your throttle body assemblies and make sure everything is working as it should, ie your main throttle plates arent getting stuck. "The secondary plates will not matter". Also make sure your throttle bodies are still firmly attached to the head. If the bolts have loosened up there is a possibility the TB's have come off the head allowing air to pass right through and this will do the same thing. If all of this checks out I "might" have an extra sensor laying around.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Did you park too close to a Toyota?

j/k

In all seriousness, maybe this helps:

I can tell you it's not a TPS sensor. You don't have fly by wire throttle - a bad TPS will just F over your Air Fuel Ratio, not make it actually raise rpm (it needs air to do that as well as fuel, a bad TPS will raise the AFR so high it will die, not idle up). Based on your description, I would look closer at the cables and throttle bodies. An air leak wouldn't wait until 7k rpm. I'm gonna guess something binding up weird. You make no mention of an FI light. Did it go off? If not, you don't need a sensor.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Does this happen when the bike is up to temp?
Did you do anything to the bike prior to this issue?
I'd check and recheck all the vac. hoses/intake boots along with checking IAT/coolant temp./MAP sensors. Maybe a sinc. screw backed way out or something?
When it idles normal does it sound "healthy"?
If this was a car I might say the IAC was jacked up...
Something might be freaking out the ECU and its tweaking timing and/or fuel like it would on a cold start but to the nth degree...but I'd bet more on a vacuum and/or throttle cable issue.

·
Registered
798 Posts
start it up with the throttle cables detached and rev it by hand

·
Registered
753 Posts
As general information, I've seen these TPS go bad, thus fooling not only the A/F ratio but inducing (depending on how and which of the TPS go bad) the "cold start high rpm" by closing the secondary butterflies.
As the engine is hot I've seen, in fact another 07, peak around 7000rpm at idle, and where you touch the throttle in that state, the engine dies.

So, first of, double check the TPS according to the service manual.

If they proof faulty, they can't be get as spare part from Kawasaki (at least for the second gen). They sell the whole body.
Some spare TPS from Suzuki can be adapted with certain amount of wit. We have done that here.
:cool:

·
Registered
629 Posts
They do that because the Main and Secondary Throttle position sensors are "set with precision" at the factory. It's a liability issue because if you screwed it up badly, things could go very bad for while you were actually on the bike... Then Kawasaki would get bent over just like Toyota is.

The sensor part by itself is probably 10 bucks :headshake Maybe you can talk to the dealership and see if there is any way they can get just that part for you and install it since they are probably an authorized Kawasaki maintenance shop. Not likely though.

If you look at the mounting screws for the TPS and secondary TPS, they screws are painted with that tamper indicator paint. They're fairly serious about you not messing with it's positioning.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts