Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't remove my tank because the rear bolt, that allows the tank to swing up/down, is stripped and I can't get it out.
Thinking of cutting the welded not off the end and then cutting the nut in two to get the bolt out. I can't remember if the inside of the tube is threaded because that would mean what I want to do is pointless.
Anybody got any good ideas to get this out. I already tried apply force on the tank bracket while turning but no luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
Only threaded on that green nut at the top of your picture. Maybe lightly tap the end of the bolt by the green nut as you back the bolt out with a socket wrench. Once the bolt passes by the threaded part of the nut, the bolt just slides out.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, so its just locked on the welded nut then. That's not too bad. I will have to break the welds then cut that nut off.
Wanted to check my plugs and can't now. I'll take care of this issue another night. Wanna ride tomorrow and this can wait. Had everything else off then got to that damn bolt. Figures.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only threaded on that green nut at the top of your picture. Maybe lightly tap the end of the bolt by the green nut as you back the bolt out with a socket wrench. Once the bolt passes by the threaded part of the nut, the bolt just slides out.
Tries all that first. Even put a flat head between the green bracket and wedged it for leverage and used a cordless driver to try and back it out. Damn thing is stuck.

·
Registered
874 Posts
If you use a drill or impact gun you may be able to keep the bolt spinning without pushing in on it and then tap the end of the bolt or push on it with something and get it to start its way out till it grabs some new threads and then screws itself out. I've done it before on other things and it worked, a lot easier than cutting it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Stripped bolts suck.

Try hitting the head of the bolt with a punch. Sometime the bolt will be loctited. The blunt force will help it break free. Also try vice grips on the head of the bolt after blunt force maybe it will break free. I have used a die grinder or dremel and cut a groove in the bolt head then use a flat head screwdriver to turn. Make sure the edges are crisp and not rounded. Give this a try first. If it doesn't work there are some more extreme ways, but they can be tricky. Let me know how it turns out. Good luck!

·
Registered
434 Posts
When changing your plugs, check out my how to videos I posted here on the site. It may save you alot of time.

·
Registered
946 Posts
i get deep to the plugs with the tank still on.....unplug the electrical connector and the fuel line...it tilts wayyyy back....put something soft between it and the tail section

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its the threads that are stripped. Bolts just spins freely. I tried pushing on end of bolt while turning other end. Tried prying on the side the nut is welded to force it to grab a thread with no luck. Gonna have to use dremel cut off wheel and cut the welded nut and bolt off. Cant right now because I had already removed the fuel line from tank and there is gas near there. Not trying to burn it down,lol. I will just use the cut off wheel. I have quite a few nice ones for my dremel. Nice and thin wheels. Then I'll take the bolt to hardware store and replace it with a nylon centered nut and bolt that way I can leave the nylon centered nut rather loose and be able to swing tank like with stock factory bolt and welded nut. I've had this tank off probably 20 times since I bought bike new. Matter of time I guess until I wore out the threads on that nut.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Its the threads that are stripped. Bolts just spins freely. I tried pushing on end of bolt while turning other end. Tried prying on the side the nut is welded to force it to grab a thread with no luck. Gonna have to use dremel cut off wheel and cut the welded nut and bolt off. Cant right now because I had already removed the fuel line from tank and there is gas near there. Not trying to burn it down,lol. I will just use the cut off wheel. I have quite a few nice ones for my dremel. Nice and thin wheels. Then I'll take the bolt to hardware store and replace it with a nylon centered nut and bolt that way I can leave the nylon centered nut rather loose and be able to swing tank like with stock factory bolt and welded nut. I've had this tank off probably 20 times since I bought bike new. Matter of time I guess until I wore out the threads on that nut.
something doesn't make sense here... if the bolt is free spinning, why wouldn't it just come out or get pushed out form the other end? Are you sure you are unloading the weight of the tank while pushing it out?

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The welded nut is stripped. Trust me man, it isn't coming off. Not my first time dealing with a stripped bolt/nut. I was concerned the tube inside was threaded. Since it isn't, will be a five minute cut off then just replace the bolt and nut.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Get a small drill bit and drill the center of the threaded end. Make sure you are centered with the small pilot hole. Then drill to a depth that gets through the welded tank bolt. After pilot hole is drilled use the bit that is just smaller than the threads. Drill out again. Then try turning the bolt it may break if it does just pull it out. If not use a tap in the new drilled hole. Hopefully this will remove all the bolt out of the hole and allow you to remove.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its not smoothed out so trying to tap/push the bolt out isn't happening either.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm just gonna cut off the welded nut and straight through the bolt and push bolt out then replace both. Five minute job that way.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mine did exactly the same. I dremmeled it off and used a new bolt and nut.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts