Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

A while back I did some work on the bike, and only got round to starting it today. The relevant part of the work I did was to swap over a set of throttle bodies, removing my originals and replacing them with a purchased set which I'd removed the secondary butterflies and throttle shaft from (I used JB Weld to seal up the holes for the shaft, obviously). I also swapped over the injectors from my originals, reasoning that they worked fine previously and I should stick with good ones rather than take on the uncertain quality of the replacement set.

The bike was reluctant to start (bump only, as the starter has been removed), and when it did fire it almost sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders, but didn't have the vibration you'd expect. I got a lot of smoke, possibly blue although hard to tell in the late afternoon light (held my hand in front of one pipe, but no oily residue). If I gave it a handful of throttle, I'd get black smoke -too much or unburnt fuel ? I even spotted a couple of small blue smoke rings ...

To confuse things slightly, I also had the Akrapovic exhaust apart, and used plenty of anti-seize on the joints - possibly this was burning off ?

My inital thoughts are that it's possibly to do with the TPS, as this is the only electronic part of the assembly that I didn't try to replace. Any ideas from anyone ?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions guys, plenty to think about there. I've realised that there's another sensor on the TBs, pretty sure I swapped it over but not 100% certain. I'm also wondering if the fact I removed the wiring part from the TB where the secondaries are controlled, and my kit wiring harness isn't plugging into anything has an effect.

To complicate this further, I'm running the full kit wiring harness with the kit tacho, so I can't get the fault codes up any more. Of course, I sold off the OEM clocks, so no chance of changing back. Don't know anyone with another 06-07 well enough to suggest swapping my sensors onto their bike and look for fault codes. Looks like I'll be doing all the electrical testing stuff ...

Cheers,
Brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts