Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so guys .. if you change your front sprocket to -1 you will throw off speedo .. it will be reading faster than it is going correct
? well couldnt you change your rear tire profile from 190/50 to a 190/55 to compensate and get your mph reading percentage closer to ground zero?

·
Registered
322 Posts
The factory error in the speedometer is not compensated though, and even if 190/55 compensates for the -1 front, you're nowhere near ground zero. I have this exact setup in my '04 and when i installed speedohealer i had to dial in a good -8% (measured by gps in various speeds) to correct the speedometer reading.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
so guys .. if you change your front sprocket to -1 you will throw off speedo .. it will be reading faster than it is going correct
? well couldnt you change your rear tire profile from 190/50 to a 190/55 to compensate and get your mph reading percentage closer to ground zero?
Use a speedohealer to correct your speedometer.

What would be the point in going -1, if you change your rear tire to try to compensate?

I could see running a 190/55 and not being happy with the tall gear, then going -1 or +2, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Use a speedohealer to correct your speedometer.

What would be the point in going -1, if you change your rear tire to try to compensate?

I could see running a 190/55 and not being happy with the tall gear, then going -1 or +2, etc.
too true, they would work against each other... so you're going back towards where you started.

·
Registered
322 Posts
From a theoretical view:

A change from 190/50 (1654.991 mm perimeter in theory) to a 190/55 (1684.836 mm) accounts for 1.80% taller gearing. A change from 17t front sprocket to a 16t, accounts for 5.88% shorter one. So, if i'm thinkink correct here, one change does not eliminates the effect of the other, at least not tottaly.

Anyway, the reason of the 190/55 instead of a 190/50 is that the later is good for Nissan trucks and not motorcycles.

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
too true, they would work against each other... so you're going back towards where you started.
well in my defense yesterday was rough .. cause i never even considered that :eyecrazy::eyecrazy::eyecrazy::dontknow:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts