Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i know im going to get flamed for this but hear me out. I have been riding for about 6 years, ive had several bikes: 250, 500, 599, 636 and now my 10r. Im a good rider (no pro) i have done many track days as well as track schools and have always tried to improve my riding. one thing i have NEVER done is wheelie. i mean sure ive popped it up for a second or two, usually by accident. its never been something that really interested me. but now i want to learn. the question is should i learn on something other than my 10r? like maybe a dirtbike or a 600 or something. And yes i know some people are going to come in here and say i suck and that im a moron, but hey such is life. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
On the 10r, its way easy. Its just not the most stable. OK., so stay in first gear, hit 5k rpm, close throttle, then open it back up abruptly. DO NOT GO WFO. Just open it back up to where you had it, but keep accelerating you will come to about a 45 degree. Keep your right foot on the brake, this will keep you from flipping. Shift as necessary. Now, im not a stunter, but stuntin is awsome, wheelies are scary at first, but you will get better, and more relaxed in doing so. Ride Safe!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would say a dirtbike also. I have had a couple of different bikes and yes, the 10R comes up very easy, however, I wouldn't mess with first gear if you are learning. There is A LOT of throttle controll involed and first gear is very touchy. The 10R isn't as stable on one wheel as some other bikes are. It wasn't designed to ride on one wheel. If you do try on your 10R, I would recomend 2nd. At about 55-65 it comes up beautifully...just keep that back brake covered and be carefull not to set it down to hard...there is a lot that goes into it. It would probably be best to have someone that knows how to wheelie there with you. That way they can give you pointers. Just be careful, I dont want to read a post about how you tried to wheelie and now you have to fix your bike or worse. Not trying to scare you out of doing a wheelie, however, there is a time and a place for it!! :cool:

Johno

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I still dont understand why people are shy of first gear wheelies. As long as you are in position to apply the rear brake, your fine. Dont get hamfisted though. Dirtbikes you can do that and its ok. The Honda 250 i have is awsome. Its not a streetbike, if you want to learn, id suggest you use what you have, it works wonderfully, just dont try like 150 mph up on one.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
ninja2k5 said:
I still dont understand why people are shy of first gear wheelies. As long as you are in position to apply the rear brake, your fine. Dont get hamfisted though. Dirtbikes you can do that and its ok. The Honda 250 i have is awsome. Its not a streetbike, if you want to learn, id suggest you use what you have, it works wonderfully, just dont try like 150 mph up on one.

I have to completly agree with this. 2nd gear wheelies are much more advanced. If dead set on learning on a 10 I'd suggest 1st gear low speed pwr wheelies covering the rear break. Stay away from clutch wheelies until you get used to the front wheel coming up. the bonus of 1st gear is their plenty of engine breaking to bring you back down so long as you don't get ham fisted. ...still suggest a dirt bike. hell.. even a bicycle will give you the basics of wheelies. ...seriously.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
do a search on here, there was a how to video on this very thing. IMO, 1st gear power wheelies are easy and it does come up fast and could be scary, but just chop the throttle and she will pop up.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the input guys, i think after this many years of concentrating on keeping the front down it will take me a bit of practice. when it starts to come up in first i automatically lower my body to keep it down, have to get over that instinct i suppose

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
RickRoush03 said:
do a search on here, there was a how to video on this very thing. IMO, 1st gear power wheelies are easy and it does come up fast and could be scary, but just chop the throttle and she will pop up.
How to Wheelie!

Yeah, that was a good vid, too bad nobody ever got around to getting the full version of that video uploaded. . .

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Yeah just take it easy, 1st gear power wheelies become predictable and when you get used to popping it up and down you then play with throttle controll to keep it up. The right place the right time and vavavooommmm.................. sure one can learn to wheelie responsibly like with almost everything in life if the correct mentality is attached then there is progress.

I think that dvd is still available on e-bay.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Best wheelies are the ones that just happen , you know, hitting it hard out of a corner in second and getting one of those 100 yard full whack totally insane one wheeled ballistic missiles, sorry was I getting a little excited ???

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
FAF said:
Best wheelies are the ones that just happen , you know, hitting it hard out of a corner in second and getting one of those 100 yard full whack totally insane one wheeled ballistic missiles, sorry was I getting a little excited ???
Oh heck no! Those are the best indeed! :eek:ccasion1

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Theres something about the rush when ,you get an unexpected wheelie, you get a great tailwag under braking, you get that intense wobble when straightening up , you start trailing tire smoke round a bend.

And then theres that feeling "what the f**k did I do that for ?" normally comes after a crap stoppie or a slammed down wheelie or going past a cop at one hundred and plenty.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
unexpected weelies... well more float than wheelie... this past weekend the front 3 just rocked out of a 1st gear turn down a mile long straight. Lit into the 10 wot for the first time in a long while. She lofted 3 gears bone stock (+1 rear sproket though). Felt f'n assume!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok thanks to your guys help ive managed to get a little better at it. i can bring it up pretty smooth in 1st (power) and 2nd (clutch) im not great at keeping it up for long but im workin on it, having a hard time finding the balance point but i figure that will just take practice. here are a couple concerns i do have tho.
Almost immediately when it starts to come up the bike goes to the right, i dont know if its body position or what but any input on that would be great. i also notice that sometimes the handlebars want to go to the right as well, not sure if this is related or not...
Any help would be appreciated!

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts