Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears to be leaking from the lower. Where the leg presses into the cast lower axle/caliper piece. Oil is welling up around the the bottom of the stansion tube. I just finished wiping it up and blowing it out with compressed air and when it pools up I will post a few pictures. And no there was not a trail down to it from the seals. Anyone ever heard of this?

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
well oil is never supposed to be leaking outta your forks...lol....but sounds like you have a slight leak or something...i've never heard of forks leaking from the bottom piece of where in connects to the caliber brace...but i could be wrong...def get it checked out and ask around for a good suspension place in your area..im sorta doing the same thing

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Its your seals, the oil is running down the slider and pooling at the bottom. Very Very common problem on the 10R's the stock seals are shit, you can virtually look at them funny and they leak.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Its your seals, the oil is running down the slider and pooling at the bottom. Very Very common problem on the 10R's the stock seals are shit, you can virtually look at them funny and they leak.
okay if the stock seals are shit...can you get aftermarket ones??

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
okay if the stock seals are shit...can you get aftermarket ones??

There are supposedly "blow proof" aftermarket seals, but I would say that they are probably just as succeptable as the stock seals, its just one of those things zx10r owners have had to live with, unfortunately!
Good thing for me, Ohlins forks use good quality seals:crackup:

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
hmmm...so yes/no there is aftermarket seals?

im redoing my forks so i figured while im at it might as well replace them

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I triple checked the stansion for oil flowing down. None. The seal aren't weepy either, the oil was just around the bottom. Once it weeps up again I can be sure.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
I triple checked the stansion for oil flowing down. None. The seal aren't weepy either, the oil was just around the bottom. Once it weeps up again I can be sure.
Check the back of the fork stancion, I was almost positve I had a leak out of the adjuster, and did the same thing as you, wiped off and watched, it ended up being the back of the seal and trickling down the stancion and pooling, had me stupmed, cause it was very minor and inconscistent.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanx for the tip 9to10, I will do that. Funny you mentioned inconsistent as that is how I would describe this just showing up.

·
T Double D
870 Posts
my forks are getting sent to racetech this month cause mine are leaking too im a 200lb rider not one of these 150 lb guys and need to get my springs changed too

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
There are not many choices as far as oil seals go for the stock Kayaba fork (KYB43). They are notorious for leaving a film on the fork legs and for some, like yours, will leak severely. All Balls Racing makes seal replacements for the OEM but a lot of people have said they're no better and leak as well.

I had leaking problems on the stock forks on my '04 at very low mileage, but the '08 so far has been good. It's so easy to replace anyways, that I'm pretty sure I could replace them in about an hour now (not including the time it takes to pull the forks off the bike).

·
Registered
238 Posts
i had the same issue on my second gen at about 10k mi. I was told by the dealer it is the o-ring which is seated at the bottom of the caliper mounts where the slider screws in. The fluid was not leaking down the slider but coming out the bottom as you stated. It was fixed under warranty by the dealer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Just an update for those who are interested. I got my fork seals replaced AND my fork was indeed leaking from the foot up. The o-ring inside the foot was compromised, its a pretty basic fix if you have or know someone who is familiar with the workings of USD forks. Suffice it to say I had it fixed and she is good to go, no more leaks, fresh oil and seals. If any of you guys need a great suspension guy in Colorado, let me know. Now I just need the snow to go away!

·
Registered
64 Posts
IF it makes a difference i havent heard of oil leaking at the bottom before untill last week. I work at a bike shop and my boss was preping a used ktm for a customer he sold it to, and his forks were leaking from the bottom of the tube. I wish i would have watched him fix it but i didnt. But it did leak from the bottom.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts