Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

I suck at applying stompgrips

960 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  RedGreenRider 
#1 ·
I wanted a clear tank grip so as not to cover up the nice looking decal. Unfortunately I somehow fudged it despite following directions. As you can see in the photo, its not really air bubbles but I somehow made it so that some glue got bunched up so the portion over the black looks all dirty.

I’m gonna try riding with it, and if it doesn’t make a huge difference for me functionally I’ll just take them off.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Try heating it up with a blow dryer so the adhesive spreads out more evenly.

#4 ·
@RedGreenRider
you are not alone, and I thought the same when opting for the clear
my only concern was that it doesn't yellow over time, and that we shall see

my dealer applied it fugly and the tank pad came off on a trip, and went under my suit and smeared the 3M adhesive all over the seat and leather. Imagine cleaning off that glue while not ruining the seat cover and my suit... as for the tank grips, they actually moved away from their original position. A large piece of Stompgrip size of inner thigh... SHIFTED! My dealer said that's his first.

I was not happy

For the tank grips, I took them off slowly as the 3M adhesive is very gooey and adheres to either the pad or the tank whenever it feels like it. Gotta lift it clean.

Washed the tank and made sure it is clean, splash with water to make sure it wets. Tough luck if the surface is wax or ceramic treated. If water doesn't wet the surface, the 3M won't stick.

Use a hot air blower, and heat up the surface and the 3M adhesive, hot to touch.

While everything is warm/hot, slowly apply the tank pad as cleanly as possible, and using a third hand (kidding), continue to heat the 3M and tank.

After the pad is applied, continue to heat the pad with the hot air blower until I feel it's enough. That was probably a good 3~5 minutes.

#9 ·
Stomps always turn out funny, mine turned a little frosty and yellow after 15k miles.

I've now switched to Eazi-Grip Pro which provides incredible traction and have an amazing adhesive but mine are black so i don't know how the clears will turn out. Purchased from Moto-D store.
So I ended up applying a new one and was extra careful and it turned out well. Guess patience is key with these

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.