Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 10. I am hooked. I just have one issue. What clutch system works best in our bikes? I bought a cheap set of EBC fibers and blew them out in a matter of 2 passes. The stock clutch lasted 10 passes and 7,000 miles. What have you all done to make your clutches last longer? I thought about welding the slipper clutch.

A buddy of mine races a gixxer 1000 with me and they talk about a clutch fix. What they do is pretty much put a 750 washer behind the clutch plates and this has made his stock clutch last a handful more passes with 13000 miles on his bike and still going. I dont know the exact tech behind the washer deal it just works. I just started drag racing so my lack of knowledge and know how on the launch could kill my clutch but not after 2 passes. Thats stupid.

I have the bike lowered 3 inches on the rear and 3 in the front then I strap it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
02transam said:
what are your mods and what times have you been running?

dog bones. strap. slip on arkapovic. Pilot Powers. That's all that that helps with drag racing. I have levers and some visual mods nothing for power.

I run consistant 1.9xx 60' and 10.6xx @ 137. I have been twice. Run 10 times.

I dont need advice on other mods or I should do this or this. I go with friends but they ride Gixxers of sorts. This is just a general what clutch works best in our bikes for drag racing or what mods have you done to your clutch to get more passes out of it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You know we have a drag racing forum here . . .

It's under Racing ~ Strip !

Red, *<:){)-

·
Registered
657 Posts
best mod you can do to your clutch is learning how to use it. based on your times, i'd say it's a pretty safe bet that you're not using it properly.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Red said:
You know we have a drag racing forum here . . .

It's under Racing ~ Strip !

Red, *<:){)-
:+1: Moved :mrgreen:

·
Registered
376 Posts
If it feels like your clutch is slipping after you've full engaged it, try stiffer clutch springs. As far as clutches themselves, stock OEM clutches are the best way to go. Don't know why, they're just better than everything else. I've seen 3 sets of Barnetts wasted within 8 months.

You'd have to walk me through your process of everything you do from pulling up to the wet box, till you pass the time lights to explain anything else. 2 major things though... 1. don't do your burnout IN the wet box... 2. obtain FULL throttle ASAP... like, milliseconds after you've launched. Use the clutch to keep it from pulling the front end up to high, not the throttle. As you're getting to know the bike, increment your launch revs, and at what revs is the best place to launch. Don't start high, to easy to screw up. Ask others where they're launching their machine with a similar setup as yourself. Don't bite off more than you can chew, and just learn how the bike reacts from there. You will go through some clutches until you learn how to do it correctly.

Any corrections or input from someone else would be appreciated. I'm far from a pro, but I've learned from many friends who are, and seen a lot. Some is experience as well.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SecretAgent said:
best mod you can do to your clutch is learning how to use it. based on your times, i'd say it's a pretty safe bet that you're not using it properly.

I stated I have been only 10 times. I know I need more seat time.

This was a general question about clutch mods and clutch set-ups people use. You have no idea how I ride or my riding abilities. I wasnt asking that. There are drag racers here that use a clutch set up or have some trickery up their sleeve that allows the clutch to last longer. I have asked a bunch of questions to the people at the track who run 8's on just N/A set ups. They all ride like i said before suzukis. They gave me some advice on that the slipper clutch kills it for drag racing. The one chick has gotten rid of hers all together and she went from 5 passes to 15 to 20 passes.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I went 2 years of drag racing and street riding on my stock setup. I recently replaced the springs with barnett springs, Kawi slipper clutch adjustement shims Part #39108-0004, barnett steels, stock fibers, upgraded clutch plate (judder spring) Part #13089-0012. I haven't gotten a chance to ride it yet. The only other bit of advice is try breaking the clutches in easy. I figure if I ride it like I did when I was breaking in the bike when I first got it and the clutches lasted me this long, then I did something right.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
You might want to leave the attitude at the door when you come in here. Especially being a squid asking for help. You won't get very far here if you continue to make comments like this.
Crypt keeper said:
I dont need advice on other mods or I should do this or this.
Crypt keeper said:
You have no idea how I ride or my riding abilities. I wasnt asking that.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Crypt keeper said:
I stated I have been only 10 times. I know I need more seat time.

This was a general question about clutch mods and clutch set-ups people use. You have no idea how I ride or my riding abilities. I wasnt asking that. There are drag racers here that use a clutch set up or have some trickery up their sleeve that allows the clutch to last longer. I have asked a bunch of questions to the people at the track who run 8's on just N/A set ups. They all ride like i said before suzukis. They gave me some advice on that the slipper clutch kills it for drag racing. The one chick has gotten rid of hers all together and she went from 5 passes to 15 to 20 passes.
my point is, if you aren't using the clutch properly, doesn't matter if you have the worlds strongest clutch, you'll still blow it up and wear it out. the best parts in the world won't make up for bad riding.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1killer1liter said:
You might want to leave the attitude at the door when you come in here. Especially being a squid asking for help. You won't get very far here if you continue to make comments like this.
How about you get off my tail. Your boy has less posts than I do and he is giving me obvious answers that I already stated . Also I have been a member for almost a year just been reading a lot. But that was not about drag racing. I was asking people what their clutch set ups were. Not "hey I need more seat time come point out the obvious". I think I did pretty good for two track days, only 10 passes, and running consistant during that time. I admitted I needed more seat time, so when somebody comes in and tells me something I already posted and know with zero input on what I was orginally asking I will get a little shitty with them.

·
Registered
620 Posts
1LongR1 said:
let bike cool at least 15-20 minutes after pass. back to back runs will kill it quick.
:+1:
i know this for a fact, lol. hot spots in my clutch right now. thats why i've been out.

·
Registered
620 Posts
hey man, i dont know you and arnt tryin to bash you, but a word of friendly advise. If you piss some of these people off you arn't going to get any help from anyone, ever. I understand where you are comming from and i can tell you got a short fuse like me, but everyone on here are friends and are cool with everyone and they will help you out as best they can, but if your piss a few of them off you will turn everyone against you and then no one is going to help you.

so what is your clutch doing for you to need to get another one? is it grabby, gerky, slipping? if we know what it is doing we might be able to help out with why it started and fix it so it doesn't happen again. because a 1.9 sixty wont kill that clutch unless your makin pass after pass after pass and not letting the motor cool. Which i believe might be your problem because your wanting to get better and get that seat time. The OEM clutch is the best to get. Good luck with improving your times and fixing that clutch. later man

·
Registered
65 Posts
well men this is the thing the best is OEM springs and fiber I have done it all being 270 on a 10 puts alot of strane on the fibers and the steels just get some more spring pressure and with some new fibers and steels first and you should not have a prob any more I know guy with stroker motors still on stock fibers and steels just spring pressure and for the last time DON'T BUY BARNETT ANY THING!!!! unless you just like spending money the stock spring with 15000 mile have more spring pressure then new barnett so a word to the wise no barnett fibers steels or springs. Also don't weld up the plate that's what makes the bike slip out the hole or when you take off at the light it does not jurk like the 1300 or the 1000

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
BryanB said:
hey man, i dont know you and arnt tryin to bash you, but a word of friendly advise. If you piss some of these people off you arn't going to get any help from anyone, ever. I understand where you are comming from and i can tell you got a short fuse like me, but everyone on here are friends and are cool with everyone and they will help you out as best they can, but if your piss a few of them off you will turn everyone against you and then no one is going to help you.

so what is your clutch doing for you to need to get another one? is it grabby, gerky, slipping? if we know what it is doing we might be able to help out with why it started and fix it so it doesn't happen again. because a 1.9 sixty wont kill that clutch unless your makin pass after pass after pass and not letting the motor cool. Which i believe might be your problem because your wanting to get better and get that seat time. The OEM clutch is the best to get. Good luck with improving your times and fixing that clutch. later man

I understand what you are saying 100% through and through. I'm not going to let somebody give me a hard time when they have less posts and have belong here way shorter than myself. Also My first reply came out a little on the aggressive side and I didnt see it until It was singled out. I sent an apology to 02transam. I'm not here to fight. I want help and advice, but I also dont need a person who barely posts here to tell me indirectly I cant ride. I have done many track days. I have been to classes. For circut track though. Now I got bored with it. I understand what other mods need to be done to help click down the times. I was simply asking what clutch set ups people are using and I got a hidden "You cant ride" reply and now I'm the bad guy for sticking up for myself. Thats special.

I dont want to spend money on the wrong stuff. This thread had nothing to do with my riding. If he comprehended what I originally wrote I was not asking on how to lower my times. I know how to do that. I blew out a clutch after two passes found out they EBC is junk for clutch replacement and I was asking for the correct fix. I have seen two of the fastest drag racers in the nation go head to head. Mike Slow and Jason with their turbo busas. They took out the clutches let them cool down then raced but didnt have to replace them. I bought a shitty part my riding had nothing to do with it. Thank your for everybodys help. I aplogize again for uspetting anybody. I can say I made a mistake but didnt not realize it until after it had been done in reference to 02transam.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imadimetooo said:
well men this is the thing the best is OEM springs and fiber I have done it all being 270 on a 10 puts alot of strane on the fibers and the steels just get some more spring pressure and with some new fibers and steels first and you should not have a prob any more I know guy with stroker motors still on stock fibers and steels just spring pressure and for the last time DON'T BUY BARNETT ANY THING!!!! unless you just like spending money the stock spring with 15000 mile have more spring pressure then new barnett so a word to the wise no barnett fibers steels or springs. Also don't weld up the plate that's what makes the bike slip out the hole or when you take off at the light it does not jurk like the 1300 or the 1000

when you say get more spring pressure but use oem springs you confuse me. I weigh 260. No losing any fat unless I atrophy.:lol:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Crypt keeper said:
when you say get more spring pressure but use oem springs you confuse me. I weigh 260. No losing any fat unless I atrophy.:lol:
Try using spacers. Sounds like that's what your buddy on the Suzuki is doing if I remember yer post right.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts