Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so in my defense, I live in Alabama. Winter's usually don't get this cold. I went on vacation without changing the distilled water/water wetter out of my bike. :BangHead: You can guess where this story goes, because I left my bike outside.

Brought the bike in to let to let it thaw out and drain, but I'm fearing the worst. Can someone shed some light on this to let me know what I'm possibly looking at here? Had a huge ice cycle on one of my hose clamps and a tiny one on my drain plug. What are my chances of coming out of this without any major issues? :badteeth:

Thanks guys for any useful info

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Ok so in my defense, I live in Alabama. Winter's usually don't get this cold. I went on vacation without changing the distilled water/water wetter out of my bike. :BangHead: You can guess where this story goes, because I left my bike outside.

Brought the bike in to let to let it thaw out and drain, but I'm fearing the worst. Can someone shed some light on this to let me know what I'm possibly looking at here? Had a huge ice cycle on one of my hose clamps and a tiny one on my drain plug. What are my chances of coming out of this without any major issues? :badteeth:

Thanks guys for any useful info
Let it thaw and see whats up, everything could be just fine, you might have a cracked radiator, and/or cracked block. We all do stupid shit, apparently I didn't have enough antifreeze in my truck....................my radiator didn't like the cold, I started the truck, and when it warmed up started leaking antifreeze out...............Good thing new one was only $80

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea it's been in my kitchen for the past couple of hours. I think all the coolant has thawed out but a friend of mine told me to wait a day or two. Is that necessary? btw I looked for any possible leaks on the floor and found none but that doesn't mean that I don't have any inside. This waiting game blows!:icon_cry:

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
if you can pressure test it that would be a better way to determine if the freeze cracked something.
^^This.

When it thaws out completely, put a pressure tester on the radiator. If it holds pressure, start it and warm it up... then test it again. I did the same thing to my 06 years ago... ended up with a cracked head. It split the left side by the motor mount and about a 4 inch section between the valves. Bummer smurf.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Water wetter is basically an additive you put in distilled water to give it a better cooling ability than regular coolant. Its real popular with track riders because coolant isnt allowed due to its slippery nature. Using distilled water alone is also an option but its not a good lubricant for the internal mechanisms.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Just give it 24 hours to completely thaw. If you can't pressure test it, flush the system, refill it, and fire it up and see if you have any leaks. A cracked radiator at worst probably, hopefully.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Water wetter is basically an additive you put in distilled water to give it a better cooling ability than regular coolant. Its real popular with track riders because coolant isnt allowed due to its slippery nature. Using distilled water alone is also an option but its not a good lubricant for the internal mechanisms.

Ooooooooo. Good to know. I'm safe. Thanks for the info. Sorry about the mishap, hope it's just a radiator at most

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just give it 24 hours to completely thaw. If you can't pressure test it, flush the system, refill it, and fire it up and see if you have any leaks. A cracked radiator at worst probably, hopefully.
Yea it's been in my kitchen now going on 5 days. I've already drained it, just haven't refilled it to test. I looked for puddles underneath it to see if it had any leaks as it thawed. Didn't see any. Which leaves my concern on an internal crack in the motor or gasket break. Is it save to assume that if it has a crack in the block the motor is toast? And will the pressure test pick up both or just one of those issues?

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
A cracked head will leave you with a salvageable motor. If the case cracks any where you're better off getting a new 2nd/3rd gen motor and starting over.

You'll know once you put a pressure tester on a full coolant system. If it looses pressure you look for where the water is going. In my mishap you could watch the oil level sight glass fill up as the pressure went down. Any loss of pressure will require a motor tear-down, regardless.

·
Registered
389 Posts
ive seen cars here with "coolant" frozen solid in the blocks and no damage. fill it up and let it run till its at full temp for a while should build up enough cooling system pressure to see if its draining into the engine or the ground. a pressure gauge is nice because it will show a drop and you may not beable to see the coolant filling the crankcase.

you might be able to rent or borrow a pressure tested from oreily,checker,napa etc. just bring in the rad cap and make sure you get an adaptor thats the same size.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts