Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i put a deposit on a 2015 Gen4 (with ABS) vs R1 and Gen 5.

I decided on the 2015 as i was able to get a lower price, and decided against the R1, as it felt cramped for me (i am 6 foot, 175), and i did not do the Gen5 because it was more expensive.

Also i liked the 11 pound lower weight, and adjustability of footpegs.

I am not an expert on ZX10r or R1s and was wondering what you experts think.

The bike is being shipped from another location to my local dealership, and i could not sit on the Gen4 so i am not sure if it will fit me like the Gen5 which i did sit on today, and liked the Gen5 seating ergonomics more than the R1.

Let me know your thoughts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Today i put a deposit on a 2015 Gen4 (with ABS) vs R1 and Gen 5.

I decided on the 2015 as i was able to get a lower price, and decided against the R1, as it felt cramped for me (i am 6 foot, 175), and i did not do the Gen5 because it was more expensive.

Also i liked the 11 pound lower weight, and adjustability of footpegs.

I am not an expert on ZX10r or R1s and was wondering what you experts think.

The bike is being shipped from another location to my local dealership, and i could not sit on the Gen4 so i am not sure if it will fit me like the Gen5 which i did sit on today, and liked the Gen5 seating ergonomics more than the R1.

Let me know your thoughts
I'm not sure how much cheaper the Gen 4 was for you vs. the Gen 5, that will be the determining factor.

As someone who bought the 2015 Gen 4, they are multiple things that made me wish I had waited another year (although not like I could have known):

- Stock quickshifter is huge. I already had a quickshifter via Woolich set-up when I heard about the 2016, so I wasn't too mad, but QS is something you want. And if you put a Woolich on the 2016, you can get auto-blipping downshift, which is something I want but cant get on my Gen 4.

- Those new meaty Brembo front calipers. I have some GSXR1000 brembos on mine, but they are mostly for looks, the Brembos on the 2016 are for business.

- The New suspension. I just recently installed Ohlins forks and shock on my Gen 4, but at a cost of almost $3K, and that was a deal. Gen 5 suspension is a big upgrade.

- Electronics. Improved traction control programming, and the IMU which helps keep the bike from standing up in turns, and keeps wheelies at the perfect height for max accel.

- Engine. Lighter crankshaft and stuff.

I still think my 30th Anniversary looks sharper than the Gen 5. But due to all the upgrades, if I had the choice today the Gen 4 would have to be about $5k cheaper for me to take it over the Gen 5.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I got a 30th Anniversary in jan 2016, have a good deal, and im not wish i should have bough the gen 5, sure are all the tings Brandon Siegel listed and he's right, but for now gen 4 have much more aftermarket parts available which for me it is important, no ABS, and in my eyes 30th Anniversary is still the most beautiful one

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure how much cheaper the Gen 4 was for you vs. the Gen 5, that will be the determining factor.

I still think my 30th Anniversary looks sharper than the Gen 5. But due to all the upgrades, if I had the choice today the Gen 4 would have to be about $5k cheaper for me to take it over the Gen 5.
I paid about $14K OTD, not $5K cheaper

·
The Pace
7,295 Posts
g4 is excellent bike. All it needs is a graves and the fender eliminator and the integrated tail with sigs. Forks are excellent; same with shock; weight is perfect. I you live in SF you better keep your v strom until you get used to the g4 on those hills. Mine without abs but abs will work for you due to level of experience and the SF fog probs.

·
Registered
355 Posts
For street riding, the gen4 is excellent. In my opinion, the only other literbike that's comparable is the S1000RR when it comes to comfort and performance in one package. The 10r needs a few upgrades to compete directly with the BMW, but the bike costs a lot less to purchase. Nobody "needs" a quickshifter, yes they're neat, but I intend to finish this race season without one.

My brother in-law just paid $11,800 for his leftover 2015 ZX10 with ABS. In 2014, I bought my 2013 (no ABS) for $11,250 and I got $800 more for my trade-in than I expected to get.

I don't ride the street anymore. As a race bike, I am quite pleased with my gen4. I think a gen5 or a 2015 R1 may be a better platform to start with if one intends to go track-only with it. My bike is not holding me back, my talent level is, and I consider myself to be a pretty decent rider.

I've ridden a couple of 2015 R1s on the street and they do not have the smooth power delivery, comfortable ergonomics or plush seat that the gen4 has. Very cool bike, sure, but not very street friendly.

·
Registered
23,742 Posts
For street riding, the gen4 is excellent. In my opinion, the only other literbike that's comparable is the S1000RR when it comes to comfort and performance in one package. The 10r needs a few upgrades to compete directly with the BMW, but the bike costs a lot less to purchase. Nobody "needs" a quickshifter, yes they're neat, but I intend to finish this race season without one.

My brother in-law just paid $11,800 for his leftover 2015 ZX10 with ABS. In 2014, I bought my 2013 (no ABS) for $11,250 and I got $800 more for my trade-in than I expected to get.

I don't ride the street anymore. As a race bike, I am quite pleased with my gen4. I think a gen5 or a 2015 R1 may be a better platform to start with if one intends to go track-only with it. My bike is not holding me back, my talent level is, and I consider myself to be a pretty decent rider.

I've ridden a couple of 2015 R1s on the street and they do not have the smooth power delivery, comfortable ergonomics or plush seat that the gen4 has. Very cool bike, sure, but not very street friendly.
Well if your talking just Street may I suggest a ZX-14R they have even more than what you described as what is a good street bike " smooth power delivery, comfortable ergonomics or plush seat " :idea: :helmet:

Bloo

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
If you are that tall you will like the gen 4. I haven't ridden a gen 5 yet but my understanding is the ergos are very similar. Rewind to a gen 1 and its noticeably smaller. No matter what you cant go wrong with a gen 4 or 5. Gen 5 has a lot more fancy stuff, that's for sure.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I wouldn't compare ohlins forks and shock to the stock 2016 zx10r suspension. OEM is seldom on par with aftermarket.
I would. And they have been multiple times by racers and experienced riders alike.
Not like the forks are Kawasaki brand. They're top of the line Showa.

As to being cramped on the R1. What? I'm 6'2" and it's got plenty of room. The Gen 5 has the least amount of room from the Gen 4 and R1, and it's still comfy for me at my height.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
g4 is excellent bike. All it needs is a graves and the fender eliminator and the integrated tail with sigs. Forks are excellent; same with shock; weight is perfect. I you live in SF you better keep your v strom until you get used to the g4 on those hills. Mine without abs but abs will work for you due to level of experience and the SF fog probs.
yeah will keep the vstrom until i get used to the gen4 thx

·
Registered
355 Posts
Well if your talking just Street may I suggest a ZX-14R they have even more than what you described as what is a good street bike " smooth power delivery, comfortable ergonomics or plush seat " :idea: :helmet:

Bloo
Nah. Too big and heavy. I got rid of my Hayabusa for the same reasons. :wink:

The miles I ride on the street anymore don't add up to one oil change per year. I enjoyed my gen4 on the street, but that's over now.

·
Registered
355 Posts
wow is this OTD price ? thats extremely low price, thx
That's plus sales tax, which is 6% here. When you trade something in, you only pay tax on the amount minus the trade value. It wasn't much.

There is no "one size fits all" out the door figure. It matters whether you pay for extended warranty, if you have to buy a license plate, title fees vary from state to state, as does the sales tax.

·
The Pace
7,295 Posts
wow is this OTD price ? thats extremely low price, thx
We won't get that price if SF. I've purchased several from mission which just recently changed ownership. Which I know nothing about. Don't worry about the g4 just gotta think about balance as it feels mega light, which it is but it's a trick, then the dang thing, if off balance, gets heavy at a complete stop. Gets heavy then. Trust me on that. lol

·
Registered
374 Posts
I would. And they have been multiple times by racers and experienced riders alike.
Not like the forks are Kawasaki brand. They're top of the line Showa.
Lol because someone else said multiple times.

Sir, if you believe factory Showa sport bike suspension is better than aftermarket offerings such as Ohlins that is your choice. I'm sorry to burst your bubble but it's not, however much you like your new bike.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.