Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my bike yesterday in the uk approaching a blind kink in thr road when i noticed a car coming the other way over the white line
I lifted my bike up a fraction as a natural reaction but then i noticed he was going straight for me and not turning the bend.
I had a split second to do something so i just decided i had no option but to swearve and aim for the fencing on the edge of the road.
Straight after i layed the bike over real hard and i made the corner.
After this i was shaken up so i turned round to give chase and i over took the driver and made him pull over.
I was shouting at him you nearly killed me.
He was really appologetic and apparently he was sneezing at the time.
We spoke for a while and shook hands at the end.
Im not sure if he was telling the truth but he seemed genuine.
Now i would say it would have been a 100mph impact so i expect that it would most certainly been fatal for me.
Im still here un injured but i believe the only reason im here is because i was on a bike that im confident on and because the supercorsa tyres were warm and sticky.
Had i have been on my r1 or in my car i expect that would have been game over.
I thought i rode with enough safety in mind but this one nearly got me.
Please ride safe and learn something from this if you can.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Good your not hurt:smile2: But no matter how safe we ride its always the others on the road, i wonder how the driver would have been if it was something taking up the entire lane and he hit it wiping himself out.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad you are ok. Here we have texting and driving. Doesn't help to flash your headlights, they aren't looking up at you.
I did wonder if he was on his phone. I must admit i didnt see if he was or not.
Yes if i would have been a lorry coming the other way he may not have been here right now so hes as lucky as me

·
Registered
146 Posts
The good thing about situations like this where you walk away unharmed is you have an opportunity to ignore it, or add it to your arsenal of experience. Personally I don't see how you UK guys can ride hard at all. The roads are so narrow, and it seems as if no one gives a shit about anyone else.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The good thing about situations like this where you walk away unharmed is you have an opportunity to ignore it, or add it to your arsenal of experience. Personally I don't see how you UK guys can ride hard at all. The roads are so narrow, and it seems as if no one gives a shit about anyone else.
Our roads are quite narrow but this gives you a great sense of speed.
Most people round the area i live do care but there are the odd few that are wreckless.
I dont ignore these situations. I try to learn by them but i was thinking yesterday that theres not much more i could have done in this situation.
You cant do much about a car on the wrong side of the road. Youd never go on the road again if that was the case which would mean you wouldnt be living your life.
You just got to do all you can to prevent it and hope it never happens.
This is the only time its happened to me like this in all my years of riding

·
Registered
146 Posts
Our roads are quite narrow but this gives you a great sense of speed.
Most people round the area i live do care but there are the odd few that are wreckless.
I dont ignore these situations. I try to learn by them but i was thinking yesterday that theres not much more i could have done in this situation.
You cant do much about a car on the wrong side of the road. Youd never go on the road again if that was the case which would mean you wouldnt be living your life.
You just got to do all you can to prevent it and hope it never happens.
This is the only time its happened to me like this in all my years of riding
Granted you never said you were riding hard/fast, which should trigger a holy shit moment for the situation that was presented to you, and make you even more cognizant of the itty bitty tiny wee blind turns that are prevalent in your countryside.

What I understand of UK/Euro riding experiences is entirely based on what I see on youtube compilation videos, and of those what is presented to me are angry people; bikers, and cagers. Everyone seems to be insulted, and slighted at the smallest of things. Population density, itty bitty tiny wee roads no doubt contributes to this.

What am I saying? You should have just went on your way, your actions post the traumatic experience served no purpose but to allow you to vent and ignore what just happened. Blaming the cager (which might be rightfully so) instead of absorbing the situation and contemplating what you could have done differently, and what you will do differently in the future.

A motorcycle is NEVER a match to a cager, you will never beat them, you will never win, always assume they will hit you, and even intentionally try to kill you.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Granted you never said you were riding hard/fast, which should trigger a holy shit moment for the situation that was presented to you, and make you even more cognizant of the itty bitty tiny wee blind turns that are prevalent in your countryside.

What I understand of UK/Euro riding experiences is entirely based on what I see on youtube compilation videos, and of those what is presented to me are angry people; bikers, and cagers. Everyone seems to be insulted, and slighted at the smallest of things. Population density, itty bitty tiny wee roads no doubt contributes to this.

What am I saying? You should have just went on your way, your actions post the traumatic experience served no purpose but to allow you to vent and ignore what just happened. Blaming the cager (which might be rightfully so) instead of absorbing the situation and contemplating what you could have done differently, and what you will do differently in the future.

A motorcycle is NEVER a match to a cager, you will never beat them, you will never win, always assume they will hit you, and even intentionally try to kill you.
The uk is not all like that. Many areas are lovely with nice people. But you wouldnt upload a nice incident on youtube. You only see the bad that people take the time to upload.
I had to stop him. I wasnt sure if he did it on purpose. I would have got him knicked if that was the case.

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
682 Posts
100MPH or 100KMH? Either way, it's a part of motorcycle life man... I had a lady cut across 5 lanes and point her car right at me (thankfully she swerved away) but of course she was on the cell phone and had not a care in the world for idk.. 5 lanes of traffic 2/3 of those potentially being oncoming :lol: These cagers are crazy man, and he was definitely not sneezing he was probably texting and knew he was in the wrong but didn't wanna fess up and take that 1/10 chance that you sue him! Probably driving on a suspended license for all we know... At the end of the day, just avoid target fixation and think quick like you did to explore your evasion routes... and most certainly don't let this freak thing deter you from riding! Ride on!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Had a head on with a lady in a Peugot on a blind LH bend about 15 years ago.

She shouldnt have been there and luckily I had an independent witness stop and take photos to back me.

The police were called and she was later made to attend a driver awareness course. I managed to claim against her insurance. She became hysterical and I never did find out why she was on the wrong side of the road

I was thrown clear and largely unhurt, bike (CBR600) was written off.

What did I learn from it...
NEVER assume other road users will always do the right thing and absolutely NEVER EVER ride faster than you can stop within the distance you can see

It may have technically not been my fault, but that would count for nothing if I had to spend the rest of my life in a wheel chair, or worse. It could have been avoided had I been going slower.

You were very lucky you had the skill and nerve to make the corner, many more wouldn't

I think I would have been too shaken up to chase him down, but I can understand how you must have felt :angryfire:

·
Registered
146 Posts
The uk is not all like that. Many areas are lovely with nice people. But you wouldnt upload a nice incident on youtube. You only see the bad that people take the time to upload.
I had to stop him. I wasnt sure if he did it on purpose. I would have got him knicked if that was the case.
I understand. At any rate, I'm glad you made it out just fine. I had a scare myself yesterday as well, except mine was due to a shitty road.

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
This is me: no contact, see ya, all good!

Last thing I'd do is give chase in no contact situation.

My background is dirt. Kinda sums up stuff. Well...one more thing, about a 20 mile part of my loop is so narrow that cagers cross over all the time. Adding to that, often sand from cliff makes the center line the cleanest.

On coming noob cagers kinda get freaked.

this is Mt. ham:

hate that vid as show's way too many cagers which is unusual, but you might get the sense of my point: which is if all good, don't waste time chasing down cagers has waste of time.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
On my bike yesterday in the uk approaching a blind kink in thr road when i noticed a car coming the other way over the white line
I lifted my bike up a fraction as a natural reaction but then i noticed he was going straight for me and not turning the bend.
I had a split second to do something so i just decided i had no option but to swearve and aim for the fencing on the edge of the road.
Straight after i layed the bike over real hard and i made the corner.
After this i was shaken up so i turned round to give chase and i over took the driver and made him pull over.
I was shouting at him you nearly killed me.
He was really appologetic and apparently he was sneezing at the time.
We spoke for a while and shook hands at the end.
Im not sure if he was telling the truth but he seemed genuine.
Now i would say it would have been a 100mph impact so i expect that it would most certainly been fatal for me.
Im still here un injured but i believe the only reason im here is because i was on a bike that im confident on and because the supercorsa tyres were warm and sticky.
Had i have been on my r1 or in my car i expect that would have been game over.
I thought i rode with enough safety in mind but this one nearly got me.
Please ride safe and learn something from this if you can.
Not a smart move, at least where I live. Your lucky he didnt pull out a gun and shoot your ass for chasing him down and making him stop.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not a smart move, at least where I live. Your lucky he didnt pull out a gun and shoot your ass for chasing him down and making him stop.
Or just as bad, try to run you off the road again. Bikes never win against cagers - well, there are some youtube videos where they do, but that is rare, and the outcome of those that fail is far worse than the gratification of avenging your slighted ego.

No offense, again glad you skilled yourself out of a horrible, and potentially tragic situation, but to turn around and chase the cage down was a bad idea. We all love how maneuverable, and quick our bikes are, but a cage can flick on a dime and maintain control.

Road rage is never the answer. Just move on, and avoid gaining an enemy on the road (they may very well travel the same routes you do, and see you again in the future).

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Yeah I had a similar scenario recently. In hindsight I could've handled it better but the idiots literally didn't look over there shoulder nor did they signal when just jumped into our lane almost taking out my Girlfriend so yeah...I got really pissed. This is one of the main reasons I HATE riding on the streets.

I can't wait to be able to afford to do track days on the regular.

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
682 Posts
Yeah I had a similar scenario recently. In hindsight I could've handled it better but the idiots literally didn't look over there shoulder nor did they signal when just jumped into our lane almost taking out my Girlfriend so yeah...I got really pissed. This is one of the main reasons I HATE riding on the streets.

I can't wait to be able to afford to do track days on the regular.
Yeah you never know man, if its some lazy teen... hell yeah scare em straight but the last thing you want to happen is (at the very least) to get pepper sprayed or something and drop the bike and end up in the back of an EMS getting water sprayed in your eyes :lol: If they're really deserving... remove their mirror and gtfo there. 99% of the time that's uncalled for but you'll know when the right time to do it is... (like when some lady on her cell phone deliberately blows past you in your own lane going probably 30 over and waves her hand like "whats YOUR problem"). Ignorance ain't free b*tch :thefinger_red:

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Yeah you never know man, if its some lazy teen... hell yeah scare em straight but the last thing you want to happen is (at the very least) to get pepper sprayed or something and drop the bike and end up in the back of an EMS getting water sprayed in your eyes :lol: If they're really deserving... remove their mirror and gtfo there. 99% of the time that's uncalled for but you'll know when the right time to do it is... (like when some lady on her cell phone deliberately blows past you in your own lane going probably 30 over and waves her hand like "whats YOUR problem"). Ignorance ain't free b*tch :thefinger_red:
That's exactly what they were, teenage girls. Probably in their early 20's, same thing in my book lol. They were all like "Why were you revving your engines at us?"
To get your attention dumbasses! Ya obviously didn't see us!

But yeah you're right, getting pepper sprayed would have sucked ass! :biggrin:
Those bitches had me so pissed that I parked the bike and got off, I was right in their faces telling them how they messed up but they didn't think they were in the wrong.

Next time I'm just gonna do my usual, flip the bird and keep it moving.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Fk UK I just noticed the thread man glad your ok!in your situation that incident could of nailed you!its just there is nowhere to go in that case but I'm glad it went your way!if you don't ride your bike in a defensive manner on the street with cages you could pay a big price!my Nephew just purchased a new HD and I think it's around 600cc because he is on a probation license!honestly he has had no dirt or bike riding experience and a accident waiting to happen that actually scares the crap out of me!as soon as the weather improves I am going for a ride with him to help him understand that other road users don't always do what you think they are supposed to do!I am trying to make this statement sink into his subconscious as soon as his helmet is on!ride your bike and think that everyone else on the road is out to kill you!thinking that will give you time to react to that little old lady that turns in front of you.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
ride your bike and think that everyone else on the road is out to kill you!thinking that will give you time to react to that little old lady that turns in front of you.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In this day and age, not only do you have to worry about the "little old lady" pulling out in front of you, but you have to worry about all the females (of any age) on their cell phones. This is a known documented phenomenon with women. They cherish social connections way more then men, and cell phones make this all much easier (lol - bring the hate, it's true). :welcome:

Bottom line riding like everyone is out to kill you is good, this means defensive at times, and offensive at times. Accelerate out of a pending bad situation, slow down for a pending bad situation. In general riding faster than the pace of traffic is to your advantage - and is recommended by many states in the US.

The big no no I see is splitting lanes in stopped traffic. By this I mean, you have dick heads that stop the flow of traffic in order to let someone cross the lanes to turn in opposite direction (the person/people stopping traffic think they are being polite). I hope you know what i mean here. Never do this - stopping traffic, or trying to split past.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Or just as bad, try to run you off the road again. Bikes never win against cagers - well, there are some youtube videos where they do, but that is rare, and the outcome of those that fail is far worse than the gratification of avenging your slighted ego.

No offense, again glad you skilled yourself out of a horrible, and potentially tragic situation, but to turn around and chase the cage down was a bad idea. We all love how maneuverable, and quick our bikes are, but a cage can flick on a dime and maintain control.

Road rage is never the answer. Just move on, and avoid gaining an enemy on the road (they may very well travel the same routes you do, and see you again in the future).
This is the uk. We dont carry guns.
I gave chase because i wanted to see if he was on his phone or what excuse he had for nearly wiping me out.
I so badly wanted him to kick off so i could batter him as i was so pumped up.
But as it happened he was glad to pull over and was appologetic.
Ive taken a few mirrors off as making a point in the past.
Its our life we have the right to defend it.
Ps. Went out last night and its not as much fun when your riding worried. I need to put it behind me and start enjoying biking again

1 - 20 of 22 Posts