Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And Mark Brewin at BSD Performance in Peterborough (UK) is one of the nicest and most knowledgeable engine tuners you could meet.

Explained all the work he had done with the Woolich ECU flashing / AFR tuning / STP tuning, all restrictions disabled...and explained how this compares to what a Power Commander gives you.

Very good guy...I asked him how much HP I'd need to hit 200 MPH and he said, "You're a big lad so unless you want to spend nearly 10K on motor work, buy a ZZR 14, derestrict it, and take the mirrors off" :biggrin:

The bike pulls hard and the acceleration is so smooth now.

Fantastic bike...Love it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it's a 2011 gen 4 with 9500 miles on the clock.

I think I could gain another 5-6 HP with a full Akra system, but for me at the moment it's not worth it.

May consider that if I do any head work on the motor.

The power is incredible to feel...Even in top gear I pinned it from 70 and saw stupid speed so quickly and all so linear.

My bike is now how Kawasaki intended
:biggrin::biggrin:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im in essex and thinking of getting mine done this year.
How much did it all cost out of interest?
Yeah I'm near you.

Ride in ride out service, budget for £400 (that's inc VAT).

If you're just getting a dyno done then it's much cheaper, but there are so many little restrictions on the bike and improvements that can be made to the power delivery, it's worth going the whole hog.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Do you think i could have a map for having no exhaust valve and one for it to work?
I love the exhaust valve on the road and for noise testing but id like to have the option of switching it off.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just stick a baffle in when I need to, but yes you can probably have two maps done.

Although you'd need the Woolich kit yourself in order to switch between maps, obviously the map is in the ECU...No Power Commander here.

May have to pay more and I don't think it would be necessary as doubt you would affect power too much since the valve fully opens above 5000 revs anyway.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Can anyone suggest what would be a good rev range to get the best launch on this bike judging by that torque curve.

4000 revs or do you need to be just below where the bike is making max torque like 8500 revs?

·
Registered
838 Posts
I just stick a baffle in when I need to, but yes you can probably have two maps done.

Although you'd need the Woolich kit yourself in order to switch between maps, obviously the map is in the ECU...No Power Commander here.

May have to pay more and I don't think it would be necessary as doubt you would affect power too much since the valve fully opens above 5000 revs anyway.
The reason i love the butterfly is because of off throttle noise.
When you let off on mine the noise is so much less than with it disconnected.
On track its no big deal but i wondered if power mode 1 i could have set with not butterfly operation and 2 with it engaged

·
Registered
264 Posts
Do you think i could have a map for having no exhaust valve and one for it to work?
I love the exhaust valve on the road and for noise testing but id like to have the option of switching it off.
If you dont need the ability to switch between the 2 maps on the fly/really quickly there is a different option to this.

If you have the time and tools to go between the 2 you can always remove the 2 cables connecting the motor and valve itself. The ecu will still operate/move the motor for the valve but without the connecting cables the valve stays put (I believe it stays open then but I cant recall for sure which).

·
Registered
838 Posts
If you dont need the ability to switch between the 2 maps on the fly/really quickly there is a different option to this.

If you have the time and tools to go between the 2 you can always remove the 2 cables connecting the motor and valve itself. The ecu will still operate/move the motor for the valve but without the connecting cables the valve stays put (I believe it stays open then but I cant recall for sure which).
I have done it in the past by unbolting the gear off the motor but its not something i want to do every time. To be honest im not bothered if it always operates as i dont have any issues with it. I was just wondering if it was acheivable

1 - 11 of 11 Posts