Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have driven several domestic cars/trucks in my life and I will always love/own Hondas and Toyotas. I dont care how much more they cost...

I drive a 01 Civic with 150k miles, it runs great and looks better. Plus, Its still on its original 5yr battery!!!

My mom is always buying new Dodges, like every 1-2 years, saying they are the best quality and blah blah blah.

My mom always tells me - your car is old - you need to get a newer more reilaible car....

So I get a call this morning on the way to work - and guess what her 06 Durango has a dead battery!!

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Man I hope you are right! I just bought a used Tundra that only had 20k on it... always heard toyotas are built to last, guess I"ll finally see for myself :thumbsup:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Lawdog78 said:
Man I hope you are right! I just bought a used Tundra that only had 20k on it... always heard toyotas are built to last, guess I"ll finally see for myself :thumbsup:
:+1: I got a Tundra as well that runs like brand new at 70K miles with no problems whatsoever. Original battery too!:

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
My little brother had 256k on his 88 Acura Legend before it finally died, the last 3 weeks of its life he drove it the oil light was on and it only had about 1/2 the normal amount of coolant in it! He used to go 10/20k without changing the oil and never once gave it a tuneup or any maintanence. The damn thing still started/idled/ran when he sold it to a wrecking yard

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
Rock_Star said:
My mom always tells me - your car is old - you need to get a newer more reilaible car....

So I get a call this morning on the way to work - and guess what her 06 Durango has a dead battery!!
LOL, and on top of that, the current Durango drives like a friggin supertanker in heavy seas. Had one as a rental car a couple months ago. Wayyyy too mushy suspension. Made me :pale: going around corners ...:machinegu Durango :rocketwho

I sold my previous '96 VW Passat TDI diesel about a year and a half ago, with 462,000 km on it, and it was still running well. I bought an '06 VW Jetta TDI diesel to replace it.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
A friend of mine had a Civic with 400,000 miles on it, he was given it as a gift from his boss, it wouldnt start one day so I went to have a look at it, the plugs had over 200,000 miles on them and you could drive a bus through the gaps, damn Hondas go forever.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
My great grandad owned one of the first Honda civics and drove that sucka around the continental US several times to the tune of 1.36m (million) only to find out the ODO was broken for the last 3yrs so who knows what the real mileage was.........:eyecrazy:

BD

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
yup honda and toyota is quality

but only domestic i would own and drive are saturns. mine has 110k miles and runs perfect. got a friend with a 96 with 206k miles and runs perfect. IMO the rest of the domestics (especially the 4 bangers) are junk.

they also get decent mileage, are easy as shit to work on, and parts are usually inexpensive.

oh yea, no oil leaks on my car and one minor leak on my friend's car :mrgreen:

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
TI10 said:
yup honda and toyota is quality

but only domestic i would own and drive are saturns. mine has 110k miles and runs perfect. got a friend with a 96 with 206k miles and runs perfect. IMO the rest of the domestics (especially the 4 bangers) are junk.

they also get decent mileage, are easy as shit to work on, and parts are usually inexpensive.

oh yea, no oil leaks on my car and one minor leak on my friend's car :mrgreen:
They are good.
I got my parents into saturns in 1994 when they got sick of expensive cars/service.

The 99 they have now has over 90k miles and is in great shape, never had a true problem with any of them.

I have an astro van with 186k plus, I'm 2nd owner, rarely drive it but it's always ready to go when I do.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Big Daddy said:
My great grandad owned one of the first Honda civics and drove that sucka around the continental US several times to the tune of 1.36m (million) only to find out the ODO was broken for the last 3yrs so who knows what the real mileage was.........:eyecrazy:

BD

Are you being serious BD? :eyecrazy: I"ve never heard of that many miles even on a diesel!

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Lawdog78 said:
Are you being serious BD? :eyecrazy: I"ve never heard of that many miles even on a diesel!
FINALLY someone stepped up if even just to ask??? naaaaaaaaa i was just testing the water temp with BS.....:rotflmao: :twisted:

BD

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
I had a 1978 Civic once upon a time, and I would have a hard time believing those would go 300,000+ km; ours was an oil-burner by 130,000 km and rusted out at 12 years and 180,000 km ... but this was at a time when people thought 50,000 miles (80,000 km) was high mileage.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Big Daddy said:
FINALLY someone stepped up if even just to ask??? naaaaaaaaa i was just testing the water temp with BS.....:rotflmao: :twisted:

BD

Funny- of course most of us knew you were :bs: ing when you said GREAT Grand dad and weren't talking about a Stanley steamer or a horse.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I am sure there are Hondas and Toyotas out there that have as many problems with them as any other auto manufacturer. I have only owned Ford or Dodge vehicles, except one Honda, and have not had any problems really with any of them.....Excpet the Honda...Had a short in the wiring somewhere and I wasn't about to yank out the harness to find it.....It also hd the common early 90's Honda rust problem. Just like some late 80's Ford trucks....The hoods and cab tops would rust because for whatever the reason, the paint wouldn't stick to the metal.....It all about what you like....Just like a bike.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts