Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To make a long story short, I have been applying for professor jobs at Universities. This one place invited me for an interview about 2 months ago which consists of 2 days of many meetings, giving lectures, making lots of presentations to different groups, etc. etc...

The job was between me and 3 other people and I Just hread from a friend of mine who works there that I did not get the job. She said I came out as the number one choice but the number two was pretty close behind me in votes. Since that person had identified as visible minority and I had not, the job went to them...

So this is what happened to my dream that I have sacrificed my whole life working towards....

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
There are lots of other schools out there pal, life dont begin or end withe one job interview.
Good luck in the future.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are lots of other schools out there pal, life dont begin or end withe one job interview.
Good luck in the future.
I appreciate that but in reality, it is a very competetive field and this WAS my one big chance. To put in in prespective, I have the best C.V. of all the people I know in my situation. MOre publications, funding, teaching experience etc. etc...and am currently world recognized in my field...

Out of about 50 applications that I sent out, this was the only interview I got...none of the other people I know in my situation have even gotten an interview...so this really WAS my best shot

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Chin up and don’t let it get you down or bitter. Move on to the next one.

Next time let them know that you’re glad that being gay will not stop them from hiring you……. :lol:

·
Registered
708 Posts
affirmitive action is such:bs: what a joke this country has become! God forbid the person with the best credintials gets the job, lets give it to this schmoe because they are a minority. It's the children who get the worst end of it, as they are stuck with the inferior educator.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
affirmitive action is such:bs: what a joke this country has become! God forbid the person with the best credintials gets the job, lets give it to this schmoe because they are a minority. It's the children who get the worst end of it, as they are stuck with the inferior educator.
:+1:

And sorry to hear. Things will turn out...the good things always happen when they're least expected.

·
welds like he has palsy
1,761 Posts
Reverse racism?? Hell no, it's called discrimination! Nothing reverse about it. Racism is racism and discrimination is discrimination. I don't care if you're white, black, purple or green. I see it all the time in my line of work and it really takes a lot for me to keep a good attitude. I'm sorry for your loss and I really hope something works out for you.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Make it into a positive. Follow up with them, thank them for the opportunity to talk with them. What you did was increase your network. That may lead to something else, maybe even better. If it doesn't work out with the first guy, you'll be sitting pretty.

Unfortunately, life's not fair. You have to make the best of what you're dealt. Getting turned down for a job happens to a zillion people every day.

·
I really need to get out of the house
13,309 Posts
Make it into a positive. Follow up with them, thank them for the opportunity to talk with them. What you did was increase your network. That may lead to something else, maybe even better. If it doesn't work out with the first guy, you'll be sitting pretty.

Unfortunately, life's not fair. You have to make the best of what you're dealt. Getting turned down for a job happens to a zillion people every day.
I agree 100%....keep in touch with them. :thumbsup:

·
Chairman of the Board
16,053 Posts
Keep trying bro, for every success there are thousands of failures. There are alot of Universities out there and they all need good staff, dont give up.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
There's no reverse to it. It's just plain racism forced upon the administrators by the government. Welcome to the new minority....those who are qualified, but unfortunately by fate of birth happen to be white males. The only positive that I saw in your post was the fact that the professorship went to someone who scored very close to you. At least the students won't loose out to someone who isn't at least somewhat qualified for the position.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Well, and I'm sure you know, there have been a lot of articles lately about how hard it is to get a full-time teaching position at any U.S. university. The Washington Post had an article about a recent Stanford PhD that was commuting between Baltimore and Richmond, VA, because she could only find temporary adjunct positions. Believe she was also working with no benefits.

You're probably going to have to struggle for awhile (a lot of us do). Your ideal job may not be an easy one to find. In my DC area, a good college degree (UVA, Virginia Tech., William & Mary, Georgetown, John's Hopkins, etc., etc.) is merely worth what a high school diploma used to be. Education is very competitive and gone are the days where merit got you through.

I do remember applying for medical school some 15 years ago and knowing I had to have at least a 3.5 undergrad and perfect MCATs to even have my application reviewed. Honestly, this was primarily because I'm a white guy. Sure it made me angry to see other less qualified candidates get in, but I'm not a congressman and I can only work within the limits that exist. I don’t like head starts, but I don’t blame the folks who get them.

I’m sorry things aren’t working out as planned, but, in my life, that is the rule more than the exception.

Continue to fight for your dreams and good for you for pursuing such a big goal!

·
Registered
582 Posts

I'm with RussMcb He sounds like a pretty smart guy:) Take advantage of all the contacts you just impressed... for all you know they are sickened by having to do this as well.... or you could take the low road and frame their new hire for something unforgivable. :idea: :lol: I kid, I kid,:crackup:

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
That sucks but if that is the way that school acts then your better off going somewhere else anyway. There is always more options.

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
I dunno the way I see it yea it's unfortunate for you. However you guys have to understand that minorities have been overlooked by lesser qualified caucasions for decades. Just for the simple fact that they're white. And in this country white IS RIGHT! It's been an unfair playing field for the longest! If it wasn't then the government or congress wouldn't have put those mandates in place. For instance look at the NFL and college football coaching scene. 32 NFL teams and only a few minority head coaches. And college football is even worse! :headshake How many Division 1 schools out there? Hundreds! And how many minority college coaches? Very few! They had to make it where when a job opening becomes available that each team or school at least interview one or two minority coaches. Just to make it seem like they were getting a fair opportunity. And alot of those teams and schools go into those interview's with their minds already made up that they're not going to hire a minority, but they go through the motions and interview them just to comply with the rules.

Not to get off topic here but I was just giving an example. But yea you guys have it so good, it's hard to feel sorry for you when you run into minor road blocks an hurdles. Because for minorites that's normal everyday life. I don't think none of you guy's would trade in your "whiteness" to be a minority. :headshake I would bet on that! But yea man it does suck but now you kinda know how minorites feel? Not entirely but at least somewhat. I say keep striving an trying and you'll eventually get to where you wanna be.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ZIG- I appreciate your response, but history does not justify my situation. Discrimination is discrimination. A previous form of discrimination does not justify another form of discrimination now,

and further, Just to qualify, I am not of white (european) decent. I am actually of middle-eastern/mediteranian decent but I am not dark-skinned. Basically most people think I look portugese, greek, italian or spanish...

In my mind, I have never identified as a visible minority.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts