Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys ridden the '09 Honda Cbr1000RR??
i think its a sweet looking Bike and I am thinking about it.....

Please be gentle with me :):thumbsup:

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Not bad bikes if you can live with the looks and handle a little burning oil. the main complaint with those bikes seems to be a design fault with quite a high percentage that end up burning quite a bit of oil, and I am talking like a whole quart every 3-5K miles. great performing bikes though, very light and do everything well.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not bad bikes if you can live with the looks and handle a little burning oil. the main complaint with those bikes seems to be a design fault with quite a high percentage that end up burning quite a bit of oil, and I am talking like a whole quart every 3-5K miles. great performing bikes though, very light and do everything well.
Wow I see that after Googling the issue Very worrisome....I cant think about buying a bike that drinks a litre of oil every 600 miles That's insane!! Thanks for the input I wont even think about it now..........

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
And thats been a very common problem Honda has had for a number of years.
I ride with a couple of buddies that have older CBR's and they both have the oil burning problem.Great bikes,they just burn through the oil.
When they accelerate hard you notice a puff of smoke coming thru the tailpipe,everytime.
They add a qt every 2-3 thousand miles them selves,and when they go for state to state rides they're packing a qt just to make sure they make it home ok.
Great bikes,but not at the inconvience of having to constantly check that oil level.

·
Registered
987 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
This thread makes me want to check my oil :)

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Learned something new.
I didn't know they were having that issue. That would be a pain in the ass.

Reactions: Sonic 10R

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
i rode an 05 and it had awesome throttle response and wanted to lift up all the time. Much more power below 30 mph than my 07 zx10r
It's cause it's geared like a 600! Go rap out 1st Gear and let me know what you see at the rev-limiter. 1st gear stock on my 10R is like 104 indicated, and on the CBR it is like 80 or so.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had no idea they had an oil burning issue. That is ALOT of oil to be burnt by a 1 liter bike in 2000-3000 miles. :badteeth:

Black Stig

·
Registered
477 Posts
:+1:
love that bike but no bike should burn that much oil,honda say its ok??my 06 10r has not used a single drop in 7200 miles!if it never had an oil issue i would have got one this year..

·
Registered
281 Posts
I thaught handas were suppose to be the cute reliable bikes? now they burn alot of oil? so they pretty much got nothing going for them get a kawi.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
my friend just got an 09 repsol for 13k out the door in temecula ca. I rode it yesterday for about 30 mins and it was nice. the throttle felt crisp, the transmission was great clicking through the gears, and most noticeably the bike felt like it weighed 20 pounds. It is real narrow and all the weight feels like its where it needs to be.

I dont really care for the looks, but its a real nice bike. It does not feel as powerful as the kawi does imo.

·
Registered
524 Posts
my friend just got an 09 repsol for 13k out the door in temecula ca. I rode it yesterday for about 30 mins and it was nice. the throttle felt crisp, the transmission was great clicking through the gears, and most noticeably the bike felt like it weighed 20 pounds. It is real narrow and all the weight feels like its where it needs to be.

I dont really care for the looks, but its a real nice bike. It does not feel as powerful as the kawi does imo.

Plus, you can get a new Kaw for about $2,500 less. Think of all the aftermarket parts that will buy. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
680 Posts
Down here they run around $1,000 more than the zx10, $8999. Sweet bike, especially the repsol edition. I understand that they are even more corked up than the Kawi on the top end and that a pipe and tune really waked them up. I was tempted to pick one up but the oil burning issue kept me away. Surprising for a Honda.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
yea i had no idea about them burning oil, ill have to let my friend know about this if he doesnt know already. he bought the 5 year extended warranty with the bike so if she takes a crap at least he will be covered. is there a recall on that or is it just the nature of the beast?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts