Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

I just bought my first 10r. I upgraded from my zx-6r, and I have run into a few problems along the way.

I bought the bike w/o having it checked out by a Kawi dealership. If I had before I never would have bought this one. It is a 2004 with 27,000 miles on it. It has the FI light on, and it needs a few parts. So far the total at the dealership is almost a grand. I had them order in new rear cowling, I got the integrated rear light, and license plate. THe previous owner did a rear eliminator kit, but did not put on license plate holder, and actually zip tied it horizontally under the fender. As well as no rear turn signals. The rear cowling was cracking where the bolts hold it in place, and it had been painted so I just had them change it out. I changed the oil on day 1 of ownership and it looked clean.

But here id the problem. The previous owner took out an electric motor that sits below the rear seat, and the "cable" or electrical lines which is causing the FI light to come on. I had the dealer order those as well. The electric motor and one cable are on their way to the dealer. However one of the cables is on backorder til 11/10. With that being the case, it makes the ecu think something is wrong with the motor, and will not allow the rpm's to get over 8000. Not that I ever go over that, but thats not the point. Does anyone have a clue where I may find this cable?

Now for the second part of the equation. The frame right under the gas tank has a crack in it. It's about 3/4 of an inch long and runs in a "u" shape to the inside of the frame. The dealer says that I should get that fixed asap. But I can not afford to do that right now. How long can I ride it while still being "safe"? I am using this prety much for getting to and from work. A total of 40 miles a day, and no wheelieing (which is what the mechanic says caused the crack in the first place)

Thanks in advance,
1st 10R

·
Registered
636 Posts
Greetings all,

I just bought my first 10r. I upgraded from my zx-6r, and I have run into a few problems along the way.

I bought the bike w/o having it checked out by a Kawi dealership. If I had before I never would have bought this one. It is a 2004 with 27,000 miles on it. It has the FI light on, and it needs a few parts. So far the total at the dealership is almost a grand. I had them order in new rear cowling, I got the integrated rear light, and license plate. THe previous owner did a rear eliminator kit, but did not put on license plate holder, and actually zip tied it horizontally under the fender. As well as no rear turn signals. The rear cowling was cracking where the bolts hold it in place, and it had been painted so I just had them change it out. I changed the oil on day 1 of ownership and it looked clean.

But here id the problem. The previous owner took out an electric motor that sits below the rear seat, and the "cable" or electrical lines which is causing the FI light to come on. I had the dealer order those as well. The electric motor and one cable are on their way to the dealer. However one of the cables is on backorder til 11/10. With that being the case, it makes the ecu think something is wrong with the motor, and will not allow the rpm's to get over 8000. Not that I ever go over that, but thats not the point. Does anyone have a clue where I may find this cable?

Now for the second part of the equation. The frame right under the gas tank has a crack in it. It's about 3/4 of an inch long and runs in a "u" shape to the inside of the frame. The dealer says that I should get that fixed asap. But I can not afford to do that right now. How long can I ride it while still being "safe"? I am using this prety much for getting to and from work. A total of 40 miles a day, and no wheelieing (which is what the mechanic says caused the crack in the first place)

Thanks in advance,
1st 10R
im selling my 05 that has no problems and under 9000 miles on it if you are interested :mrgreen:

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
Sorry to hear about the frame and the other issues BUT you could probably save $800 by NOT getting your parts from the dealer!!!! best of luck though......welcome to the forum as well. have a "mechanic" look at the bike and get a 2nd opinion on the crack damage, it will still need to get fixed BUT if you have the dealer do it....you're gonna get raped!! hell, i'll sell you an extra tail section i have for $500!!!!

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
im selling my 05 that has no problems and under 9000 miles on it if you are interested :mrgreen:
:lol: Probably NOT what he's wanting to hear right about now.........that does suck ass about his frame though....MIGHT be cheaper to look into getting another one, depending on what the repair AND labor cost will be. I'd strip it down myself and find a good welder if you don't have one already?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts