Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got "sent" here when I re-enlisted and EVERYDAY I wish I was back in California! With the weather it's been hard to ride and my battery went to shit. Now it won't hold a charge even from my truck with jumper cables on it for 2 hours! I took it to the local bike shop and they said it's a goner. One shop wants $70 and another said $120. I guess $70 ain't too bad, but I'm strapped for cash right now and it's been about a month since I started my bike. I hope engine doesn't seize up. I was gonna get someone to try and jump start bike to bike with me, but he had issues with his bike too this weekend. I guess I'm just venting....post whatever ya'll want to....
thanks!

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
N. Carolina isn't all that bad. Heck you can still ride most of the year and the roads are decent. It just sounds like your having some bad luck.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Sounds like the battery was getting old and you put the final nail in the coffin. You should never jump a bike battery from an auto battery. The amp output is to much for the bike and fries it. It is toast now. You might be able to start it after a charge or jump from another bike. If its bad enough it might die on you while you're riding. Sorry to rain on your parade, I learned from experience. I did the same thing years ago to my old R6.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I got "sent" here when I re-enlisted and EVERYDAY I wish I was back in California! With the weather it's been hard to ride and my battery went to shit. Now it won't hold a charge even from my truck with jumper cables on it for 2 hours! I took it to the local bike shop and they said it's a goner. One shop wants $70 and another said $120. I guess $70 ain't too bad, but I'm strapped for cash right now and it's been about a month since I started my bike. I hope engine doesn't seize up. I was gonna get someone to try and jump start bike to bike with me, but he had issues with his bike too this weekend. I guess I'm just venting....post whatever ya'll want to....
thanks!
Ok :rolleyes:

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
where in NC are ya man?.......70 bucks aint too bad for a yusa....I paid like 120 for mine!......I sell ya mine here in a few weeks as I am gonna tear the bike down for some motor work and next spring I am gonna go with a "speedcell".........ol 9rto10r sold me on it!........they pricey but damn the weight savings and rechargability are worth it!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
We are about to get snow here in Northern Alberta. It will last till about the end of april.

How is North Carolina looking now? lol

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I will take your insults against North Carolina as merely the ravings of a frustrated man, I love NC other than the fact the coast where I live is very flat so the roads aren't quite as interesting.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I Hope to move down there in the next few years, Done tarnish my Image of the place bro..

Gonna be down there in the spring for a couple of weeks with the bike, can`t wait.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
So how is the amp output of a car battery going to do damage to the bike?
Duh...it'll burn up the battery tender thingy that you're supposed to use to jump start it. ...geeze... :helmet:

Plan to retire to NC. Love the smokey mtns. :cool:

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
I Hope to move down there in the next few years, Done tarnish my Image of the place bro..

Gonna be down there in the spring for a couple of weeks with the bike, can`t wait.
ask alien10 what he thought of NC? hey russ, can i get an AMEN?

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
you just need to head west, get up with me or russ, we will change your mind of nc. check out my HWY181 vid form last november. we have roads like that everywhere.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok

I'm in Jacksonville. Ok-it's not THAT bad here - just humid summer when I got here and then cold and rain comes out of no where and disappears so "cagers" act stoopid. Guess I was spoiled with 3 years at Pendleton (by San Diego, CA)

When I reenlisted I was suppose to stay with unit but this unit in Lejeune was whining that they needed more people so last minute career planer said PCS order came and I had 3 weeks to prep for family road trip cross country.

I wasn't jump starting the battery with my truck, but took battery out of my bike and used jumper cables to charge the battery then put back in bike and starting it. It worked a couple of times, but Oct.8 was the last time my bike started.

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Can you explain to me how that is?

If Ohm laws state I = E/R (and it does) then I (amp draw) = 12 volts divided by the resistance in the windings of the electric starter, which is a constant, like the 12 volts.
Thus the starter will only draw the amount of current from the battery it is designed to do so. Doesn't matter the size of the battery, as long as it is big enough.

So how is the amp output of a car battery going to do damage to the bike?

This has got to be one of the oldest wives tales going. No, maybe not using synthetic oil to break in an engine is older? :spit:
Zactly! The misunderstanding here is clear with the choice of words. "Amp Output" vs. "Amp Draw".

The current or "amp draw" is a result, not an "output" that the battery is capable of.

It is perfectly fine to use a car battery for a jump, or in this case a charge. Just make sure the + and - are connected correctly.:wink:

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
if i re-enlist i am going to do everything in my power to stay away from camp lejune. pendleton is where its at for me, and i agree about being spoiled with great weather and great roads. plus im not a country boy by any stretch of the imagination so i wouldnt like the pace of life in NC either. I used to visit ashville NC quite a bit (did some land surveying up there) and although its beautiful country, its no place that i would want to live.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Ok, I was going to let it be. Yes it will start the bike just fine. But the starter has nothing to do with what I was talking about. I'm talking about the high amperage of the auto battery being forced upon the low amperage motorcycle battery. The more you do this the more it hurts the motorcycle battery.

·
Registered
945 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts