Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright well after being here for about two months I've only seen about 20 or 30 "whats that sound" threads". Well i was down town and poof it happened. It sounds like a lifter taping. OOOOOH no not at 5k miles. I was pissed. well i get back to the shop and start working on it. its the headers. The old stock headers i had were REAL easy to remove. and the new micron ones i had were loose now. get it? the ticking is an exaust leak. and under power in low rpm's it sounds like a lifter taping.
THE FIX I went and got some high heat lock tight and droped radiator down. tightened the shit out of the header bolts {carful the can break.. but it takes alot} Applied some lock tight reassembled and rode for about 250 miles last night and she sounded like she just came off the show room floor. Wiiiith a full micron lol
Well there ya go. Go outside and tighten those header bolts it is probably the ones on pipe 2 and 3. the ticking will go away.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Just to let you know, the bike has no lifter in it, cam ride right on top of the spring buckets.

Most of the time with a kawasaki it will either be a exhuast leak or the CCT no putting enough tension on the cam chain.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lifter or vaulve i get it. I heard about the cam chain tensioner also but that was more around 10,000 miles

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Anytime an exhaust header is replaced the mounting bolts are to be torqued when installed and retorqued after ridden and let cool due to the heat & cool down cycle, hence they will loosen because of it.

BD

·
Registered
350 Posts
mine sounds just like a valve tap,,, i have no leak from the headers... when i take the bike apart in the next few weeks,,, full exhaust system,, air box,, NOS,, pc3usb... im going to open it up to check the clearance, and ajust as needed,,

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Big Daddy said:
Anytime an exhaust header is replaced the mounting bolts are to be torqued when installed and retorqued after ridden and let cool due to the heat & cool down cycle, hence they will loosen because of it.

BD
Yea i agree but my point is when i took the stockys off i could have done it almost by hand. they were not as tight as i would have put them. Then hearing everyone gripeing about ticking sounds... sounds to me like the bolts have backed off alittle and made a "stock" exaust leak. does that make sence? might be explaining it wrong... Your stock headers need to be retightened. no matter what milage.

·
Registered
652 Posts
My noise was there since day one. Still is after the full Akra. My metal to metal type rattle noise is only there after engine reaches temp. over 150 degrees. And between 3500 - 4500 rpms. And it seems to be coming from the trans area or back of motor area. :dontknow:

·
Registered
350 Posts
exhaust leaking sounds just like air leaking through,,, all most like a taping sound,,, what i have is a tap tap tap tap..... could be cam noise/tap,,,, i dont know,,, never opened up the 10 yet,,, but i will soon. when i do,, i'll let you all know what i find.

·
Registered
311 Posts
bobster my noise i have sounds just like what you are describing, kind in the back middle almost??

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
This thread will never die, eh Bobster?
on the '04s there was suppued to be an alternator shim causing the nise from left side of bike.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
BNninja said:
on the '04s there was suppued to be an alternator shim causing the nise from left side of bike.
But that makes a grinding or whining noise, not tapping. The tapping comes from the springs on the clutch basket. Doing a sync on the throttle bodies will usually improve things quite a bit, as it smooths the pulses out to keep the basket from rattling. Per Kawasaki.

My bike has been down since 5/31 for warranty work to repair exactly these two issues. Supposed to be finished early this week. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
652 Posts
BNninja said:
Yea buddy, like the energizer bunny. It goes on and on and on and on and on etc.... :crackup:

·
Registered
652 Posts
CanyonCarver said:
But that makes a grinding or whining noise, not tapping. The tapping comes from the springs on the clutch basket. Doing a sync on the throttle bodies will usually improve things quite a bit, as it smooths the pulses out to keep the basket from rattling. Per Kawasaki.

My bike has been down since 5/31 for warranty work to repair exactly these two issues. Supposed to be finished early this week. :rolleyes:
I havent heard that one. About the springs. I actually think thats possibly the noise.Cause that seems to be the area of the noise. Does yours make the tapping, rattle noise as described in my previous post? as in after about 150 degrees and around 3500 - 4500 rpm? thx

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Mine made the tapping noise from left side of bike, not right side, but it got louder as temps went up.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Syncing the throttle bodies? Like syncing carbs?

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
soo anyone checked there headers takes 1/2 hour and could save you some time with all the guessing....

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
The header nuts are to be torqued to 12 lb-ft. Not gorilla arm tight.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts