Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a commuter car thats good on gas because I drive 200 round trip to and from work.

I dont drive the mustang because it only gets about 7MPG due to all the goodies on it unless I am going to the grocery store or I need to go on a thrill ride on I 80.

The Crown Vic is OK on gas but its 60 dollars ever two days to fill it up.

The bike gets riding on the weekends and I ride it to work from time to time but I dont want all the miles on it.

My commuter car the Civic was stolen and burned. The only thing missing was the seats. I would have given the thievies the seats if they had asked instead of burning it.

So as a commuter car I decide on the Scion xB. I have great credit so the finance person comes back and shows me the numbers.

Total price: 16,010

They are on crack for giving me these numbers:
1500 down 14.99APR 400.12 for 72 months.

So he comes back and has it down to:
1500 down 7.55APR 372.78 for 60 months

Why APR drop in half? He says I found a lower rate. I say still too high for a 730 credit rating.

The numbers are not adding up and I asked for a break down of everything and he says he will put it all on the contract. I feel there are somehidden fees so I walk out.

My friend just bought a 06 Jetta fully loaded zero down financed at 21,000 and some change - payments 350.89 for 60 months.

So the bottom line is he says all you have is two credit cards with zero balance. He says the best thing to do is carry a ballance on credit cards. I say I charge stuff but pay it off when the bill comes. But I use these cards monthly.

I have not financed a vehicle since 1990 because I disagreed with how the whole financing thing works. Since then I have paid cash for the four vehicles I have now and because I did not finance them I feel I am being punished.

Is there anyone in here that can give me some free advice on how to deal with this?

I am on the verge of saying buck it and just drive my cars I have now until the wheels fall off.

I was advised to go to another dealership but the problem with that is each time your credit is checked your rating drops.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
forget the stealership's ...got to your bank or better yet a credit union...I have my truck thru my C.U. and I got a good rate and then a full point off cause .5 is for having my payment automatically withdrawn and .5 is for buying one of their vehicle's...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Those numbers you quoted don't add up... This is from the "loan calculator" on my credit union's website:

Given a purchase amount of $16,010.00.
A down payment of $1,500.00.
An interest rate of 7.550%,
A term of 6 years.
Your monthly payments will be $251.23.

Go to your bank/credit union and see about a "blank check" type auto loan where you're pre-approved up to a certain amount, and you shop around until you find what you like and buy like you would if you were paying cash.

·
Registered
553 Posts
$16000 - $1500 = $14500 for 60months @ 7.55% = $291 a month

Car dealerships will f**k you quicker than a 2 dollar whore.:badteeth: If you don't know their game you are screwed. There is a 1000 ways for them to make money on you. Do your reasearch.

I go to the dealership ready to do battle, I have everything outlined before I get there, including the percentage I will pay. I walk in with a calculator in hand. I refuse to even play games with the salesman, you have to move up the ladder to the man who can make the deal.

I wish you best, car buying is a pain in the a**:mrgreen:

·
Registered
969 Posts
You should be able to get that car for like 14,000. My neighbor has one for commuting and loves it.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
1. Just about all the dealers are offering low interest or no interest right now....go shop for a dealer that offers that for what you want to buy...

2. Then go to a Credit Union for comparison....

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
They are sooooooooooooo ripping you off bro!!!....

^^ what everyone else said, it should be way lower than that...... I have my current truck through my credit union.... I think it was 21,000 and my payments are 360 month..........

With a credit score of 730 you should be able to get whatever apr you want......

My GF is a finnance manger so I know a little bit about this crap....

Another thing to point out is that dealerships get kicked down bonuses from the banks when they get a customer to agree on a higher interest rate so thier pretty much full of shit when they things like "well 730 really isnt that good"....

They will make up all kinds of shit to get you to sign..... next time your down there tell the stealership that you have finnancing through you credit union for 3.99% apr and 0 down and then see what they say.....

I assure you that thier attitude will change very quickly and they will match it or get a lower and better deal.... Dont get caught up in there B.S.

You might want to try Toyota of Walnut Creek... I bought 3 cars from there and they are a great dealership and will get you the best deal.... They run that dealership different than any other one I have ever been too... I like them alot and I hate car dealers...... Good luck

--Thomas

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
What he said in the qoute is true...although I think the numbers he qouted you were BS. Its not that you are being punished, but you havent shown the abilty to be able to make payments over a period of time, (revolving credit)
I had a boss who had more money than he knew what to do with, He went to get a new truck and he wanted to Finance it for 2 years. Nobody would give him a loan because he had no revolving credit. Just like you. He owned his own house, car all bills paid in full every month. I know it sucks..but thats how it is

zx10x2 said:
So the bottom line is he says all you have is two credit cards with zero balance. He says the best thing to do is carry a ballance on credit cards. I say I charge stuff but pay it off when the bill comes. But I use these cards monthly.

I have not financed a vehicle since 1990 because I disagreed with how the whole financing thing works. Since then I have paid cash for the four vehicles I have now and because I did not finance them I feel I am being punished.

·
Registered
754 Posts
In the words of Fox Mulder: Trust no one.

I agree with the advise of going to a bank or credit union for a loan. I doubt if the car stealership has your best interest in mind when financing you.

Do you own a house? What about a home equity? My wife and I did a home equity for my zx10. Lower rate than anything else out there.

Good luck.

·
Registered
79 Posts
doesn't matter what they offer you, they are all bad people, and yes they do get 1% of whatever you finance. Also before going in and dropping numbers you should check with all of the local banks and credit unions because they usually finance through those same institutions. Also remember that "the next guy up the ladder" is just a closer or another salesman. Nobody has any more power than anybody else. The sales manager is just there to help them make money. There are no "good" or "powerful" people who will help you. Find a red tag sale, or an invoice sale. Make sure that you see paperwork on the vehicle. The more the salesman pokes you in the @$$ the more he takes home.

·
Registered
928 Posts
i hate buying cars. heres how i do it.

first i get my loan setup with my credit union.

then i call around and start hunting for the price i want. i meake em compete and i'll be damn if i step foot in 2 dealerships ever.

once i find the lowest price. i go get the car. its that simple. they'll ask you to come in cause it gives them the upper hand. keep theball in your court. Ive bought all my bikes the same way.

·
Registered
928 Posts
also i have been told that i got a better deal cause i made less work for them. i mean if ur not there they can spend time with other customers and just do ur stuff on the side, then all u do is go in and sign some papers. it really makes there work little to none, and having 5-6 other dealers at the push of a button they know there is competition

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
i can say the following with some certainty as i sold cars for about 3 years (please dont hate me now; i quit because i was tired of being told to lie to people). 730 score will get you whatever loan you want. with toyota, usually you can get some kind of promo; be it 0% for a certain time (usually 36 months) or some such thing. also, they do really great leases, with an option to buy at the end, then mileage wont matter. also, check edmunds.com to look up invoice price on the vehicle you want. that way you know exactly how much the dealer paid for that vehicle. if you go in there and say, i want this color, these options, and this is what i'll pay, they have no chioce but to make the sale. car buying is easy if you do your homework. dont listen to a thing they say there, unless you know the salesman or something. good luck man.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I never buy my loan from the same people selling me the product. I figure I've got the upper hand.

Most people buy cars on "payment" not on price. especially with Toyota or Scion. Its the nature of the business. Most people won't add the numbers (either don't care, or don't know) and just sign away just to get the hell out of there. Best way the last few cars I've bought is thru internet/fleet pricing. Find the car (exactly color, options, etc). Email the dealer (or thru the toyota site) and get a quote. these guys work on high volume and throw out really good prices. Get the loan somewhere else, pre-approved ready to go, takes the stress off, and puts a little control back in your court.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts