Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

I dropped my 2021 ZX-10R in the driveway :(

4K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  Twistedsocal13 
#1 ·
I was pulling out of my driveway and stalled while turning right, rear end locked when the bike shut off and came to a halt and it got out from under me. It was basically a stopped tip over. Once the weight overcame me i laid it down as soft as i could. Anyways the only real damage is a scuff on the mirror, a scuff on the exhaust heat shield, scuff on the bar end small scuff on the cover (not sure what cover it is exactly) and a slightly bent front brake lever. The exhaust i could care less about cause it's coming off at some point anyways. Also this thing is way too quiet. I can't hardly hear when i'm giving it any throttle at all. It sucks it tipped over with only 36 miles on it but it is what it is. It happened. Still getting the feel for the bike and ride by wire. It's my first liter bike coming from a 2013 636 and my 2021 636. Just need more time in the saddle. Not used to it :/ I'm okay though. My pride is a little bruised though haha.

I did drive it after i inspected everything closely. Feels fine and rides fine. Just sucks it happened to a new bike. I'm having some flashbacks to when my 2015 636 tipped over in my garage when the kickstand wasn't down all the way.

Any words of wisdom for me? :(
Automotive tire Sports equipment Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Grille Vehicle
Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Automotive tire Hood

See less See more
#3 ·
Damn man that's unfortunate, it really hurts seeing one's bike being blemished even slightly. For example a few weeks ago I changed the front brake pads on my gen 1, that caused the brake reservoir to overflow a little bit. I managed to clean most of it but must've not done a thorough enough job because there's a little discoloration now on the ram air mount now :(

At least the fairings haven't been damaged though, the other stuff you should be able to replace without too much cost right?

#5 ·
Don't feel bad.. My mirror almost looks the same LOL! Mine fell over in the garage when I thought the kickstand was down and it wasn't. Lucky the mirror seemed to take the only damage as i kinda caught it as it was going down. I always double check the kickstand now.

Helmet Motorcycle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

#6 ·
Has happened to me on my gen 1 in a slippery parking lot. It happens to the best of us. Sometimes it's our mistake, sometimes it's poor road conditions or other people in the street. Either way there's not much you can do besides moving on. If it really bothers you try and see what the cost for replacements are and see if you deem it worth it but i doubt you would.

The damage is only cosmetic.

As far as bar end lever and exhaust, down the line you can see it as and excuse to make upgrades (get fancy ergal bar ends, aftermarket master cylinder, slip on).

You can put a stylish carbon fiber cover over the scuffed engine cover for less money than you would spend getting a spare one and it'll look even better than stock.

The mirror is quite fine but i guess you could buy a new one if you are really desperate about the bike being mint and sell the scuffed one on eBay to get some money towards the replacement. I think gen 6 mirrors are the same as gen 5 and 4 so there will be demand for it, even with a small scuff.

#8 ·
Wow!

That damage to the exhaust looks terminal - perfect excuse to start shopping for a slip on. Hehehehehehehe!

If I were in your shoes, I'd find some case savers and just cover that damage.

Brembo lever can be ordered with the new exhaust too.

It happens to all of us at some point. It just happens unfortunately.

A few weeks ago, I was walking my bike out my allocated parking. I had already started it and in the processs of walking it backwards whilst it was still idling high during cold start, my Astars boot caught the gear lever and kicked it into gear. Didn't drop it, but it was close.

#13 ·
engine and frame sliders help for driveway drops. No damage. But once, on the loop, had to pull off to take a leak (rural area). In dirt, not paying attention to mud, do normal and jam the front brake and that bike went down on right. Slight dent in graves can plus took awhile for the tilt switch to reset. Sliders do work for slow drops and I've dropped many in drivewayor garage; usuallly forget to check the kickstand when poppinng off the stands, whatever. Mirrors always fold and sliders take some weight off plastic; Plastic itself gives a bit on our bike which helps.

#14 ·
Well thanks for all the stories. I don't feel so bad now. Lots of my friends have said the same thing. Shit happens and don't beat yourself up over it. My one buddy owns a race shop and hit me up and got me a great deal on some GB case covers, Bonamici levers and lever guards, and Graves sliders. I did hit the scuffs with a sharpie and "Southwest Ninja" was right it's not perfect but it actually hides it really really well! Here's some pics of the parts i ordered. Lesson learned. Gonna order these parts every time i buy a new bike. I'll post a follow up in this thread and a link to a new thread after i get them installed on the bike! I realized beating myself up over it is pointless. Buy new parts and move on from it.
Bicycle part Tool Font Auto part Office supplies
Automotive tire Green Tire Camera accessory Bicycle part
Camera accessory Cameras & optics Bicycle part Plant Camera lens
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Helmet Font

#19 ·
above all helps, but all I use are engine sliders and swing sliders; the latter are mostly used for rear stand. Engines sliders combined with grip ends do most of the work. BUT, my initial after going through your list was that all works for me, too. If you go that way, don't worry about dealer techs, they'll know right away what's going on and remove/replace to get the work goal completed.

#18 ·
It happens to all of us, I've done this before.

At the gas station, forgot to put the kickstand down and went walk away, started to fall but caught it at the last moment and had to set it down gently...

Dropped a bike moving it around in the garage..

I've dropped a bike on another bike in my garage, scratching up two at once..

Sucks you gotta spend money on repairs already on a brand new bike but it could have been worse..

Shit happens

#20 · (Edited)
Skip the lever guard. That has got to be the most misunderstood aftermarket component. Lever guards aren't intended to protect your brake lever from a spill. They're there to prevent your front brake from locking up when you're at battling it out with Marquez and Quartararo mid corner at COTA and you accidentally bump your brake lever into Quartararo's left ass cheek. They scream "poser" on a street bike.

As for other tips, just rotate the bar end so the rashed end faces down and sand down the rash on the brake lever and case cover and spray paint over.

#30 ·
Damn just read this post have been mia but dude it happens, I dropped mine backing down a very steep and short driveway, tried to put my foot down but was nothing to put my foot on, it just slowly laid down, had race rails on so it did a few spins around on the delrin slider and then the tip over sensor killed it.. no big deal, no damage but get some asv c5 levers, can't break them and they will replace them under warranty if you scratch them or they fade in the first 5years so probably longer than u have the bike. Run some case gaurfs, I rock the yosh works edition ones cause they are metal and look sick plus are fairly low pro and still protect all that needs protection, I am very much pro frame sliders but people will argue they can do more damage than help, it really only matters on low speed tips like this, high speed it's kinda up in the air if they help or dig in and hurt. Still I figure it's cheap protection and insurance against costly oem plastic replacement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.