Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I read the thread about using 06-07 CBR1000RR calipers on the 04-07 ZX10R.
I bought a set of used calipers for $75 off ebay. Bought new spacers from Honda, new HH pads from Galfer, and new stainless lines from Goodrich. Total cost for everything was about $250.

All I can say is WOW the brakes are a lot better with this setup. The lever throw is much less for a significantly higher amount of braking. If you dont like your stock brakes, this is a cheap and easy way to make them a LOT better.

The CBR calipers are also Tokico, but I noticed two things that are different from the 10R calipers. First, the CBR caliper uses two large pads instead of four small pads like the 10R. Second, the pistons in the CBR caliper are smaller and closer together, requiring less fluid to move a given distance. They really do work a lot better. I just wish they were GOLD!!!

Cheers
:eek:ccasion1

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,875 Posts
Glad you got the brakes fixed. It's too bad they didn't come like this from Kawi.

FYI- It's been talked about before, but the pad configuration is not the issue with the brakes. The ZX-14/6R Nissins use a 4-pad config just like the stock -10R, but are as awesome as the CBR calipers. It's in the way the caliper is constructed and materials used, not the pad configuration, that makes the difference.

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
I just did the zx14 caliper swap and love em! now you just need to grab a stock rear caliper from a gen2 (just cuz its black) so the calipers will match looks a lot better

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I just did the zx14 caliper swap and love em! now you just need to grab a stock rear caliper from a gen2 (just cuz its black) so the calipers will match looks a lot better
Yeah they are almost throw away cheap on ebay for a 06-07 rear caliper or you can be cheap and take it apart and spray paint it. That is what I did on my 05' when I got my zx6r calipers fitted.

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Yeah they are almost throw away cheap on ebay for a 06-07 rear caliper or you can be cheap and take it apart and spray paint it. That is what I did on my 05' when I got my zx6r calipers fitted.
Yeah they are dirt cheap, but I got lucky and my buddy flthy1 just hooked me up with one for free! maybe i'll paint my stock one and do a give away...:badteeth:

·
Registered
224 Posts
What lines did you use?? Ones for a Hondahh or the Kawi? My bike came with ss lines and just wondering if I have to replace them or they will still fit the other calipers

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
What lines did you use?? Ones for a Hondahh or the Kawi? My bike came with ss lines and just wondering if I have to replace them or they will still fit the other calipers
Yes your after market stainless steel lines will work on the CBR calipers, I had Gaflers steel lines on my zx10r that had CBR calipers.

If you're interested in a complete CBR1000rr brake kit for your zx10r, I have it for sale in the classified section.

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=86848

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the brake line kit for a stock 04 ZX10R and it fits perfect. Funny you mention the rear caliper since I had already swapped it out for a new one off an 08. A complete rear caliper with like-new pads off an 08 ZX10 cost me almost the same as just ordering a new set of pads. So yeah I match!
This is an awesome mod for the price. I LOVE having good brakes again. The 04-07 ZX10 has the WORST stock brakes of any modern bike I have ridden. Simply awful!

·
Gun Owning Republican
5,278 Posts
So I read the thread about using 06-07 CBR1000RR calipers on the 04-07 ZX10R.
I bought a set of used calipers for $75 off ebay. Bought new spacers from Honda, new HH pads from Galfer, and new stainless lines from Goodrich. Total cost for everything was about $250.

All I can say is WOW the brakes are a lot better with this setup. The lever throw is much less for a significantly higher amount of braking. If you dont like your stock brakes, this is a cheap and easy way to make them a LOT better.

The CBR calipers are also Tokico, but I noticed two things that are different from the 10R calipers. First, the CBR caliper uses two large pads instead of four small pads like the 10R. Second, the pistons in the CBR caliper are smaller and closer together, requiring less fluid to move a given distance. They really do work a lot better. I just wish they were GOLD!!!

Cheers
:eek:ccasion1

I told you guys...That thread is now over two years old since I wrote it. I am happy it worked out well for you. Congrats and it definitely makes riding the 10R much more fun. :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts