Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to end the debate of whether or not for all of us 3rd Gen owners, if kawi's R&D team really did a good job on finding the best gearing for out bikes.

Ive recently dropped a tooth in the front from a 17t to a 16t sprocket....1st impressions where damn this bike hauls ass...1st gear had way more torque than before but soon it felt that it ended there and didnt carry over to the next gears....a fourm member morefire believes that "Down low the 16t is better off the line, but overall acceleration through the gears...3 through 6th, the 17T pulls harder and works better overall with his set up"

i feel the same and i am wanting to start playing with different gearing....

and the way im gonna test/research this is this Pesky R1 guy named "B" for our purposes...we are just about equally in weight and we both know how to ride....that is at least compared to everyone here in stupid NM where its squid central...jk but seriously were decent enough to know how to at least try to get the most out of our bikes....even tho its rare to see someone actually use a 1000 or even a 600 to its full potential. everytime we do a run were usually neck and neck i win some and vise versa usually whoever gets the better jump...this is a friendly battle (even tho he doesnt know im out to get him...this is a 2007 R1 with a Yoshi Exhaust, fliter and gearing he seriously wont tell me....currently i have the Gi-Pro ATRE, 16t no going to the 17t, m4gp but going to stock and eventually go to a f/s this winter...:)

yes for all you lighter fellows out there kudos for you! i understand that weight has an advantage over all....we both are in the neighborhood of 260-270lbs and im 6"3 hes 6"4....and yes were not fat just built different hahaha at least thats what my mother has always told me...

anyways here in a couple weeks im going to start a new Thread: more than likely to be Help me beat Pesky: Part 2 The New and updated version lol:lol::lol: where i tune/and add mods to give me the advantage over the Pesky R1 and "B" ima gonna get you!!!!!!!:thefinger:thefinger:thefinger:lol:

this is the orginal thread started Jan 12th 2005 by miykl
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5017&highlight=beat+pesky

so this is my new project....stay tuned leme know what u think....i like criticism but if your gonna put waste less info/opinion on here theres always the GSXR forum you can go to:)

oh and BTW I LOVE THIS FOURM!!!!!!!

Rich

·
Registered
927 Posts
Dude I'm killing R1's with stock gearing flat out top speed. Power commander and two bro's slip-on. Went to a 16 and still was not a problem at WOT. Went back to a 17 front and a 43 rear and have not yet really rode the bike but I'm sure it is fine. R1's look better hands down and I really like them too but I think the Kawi has a bit more on top then all the rest of them. Hell maybe all the rest of them put together IDK. lol Well good luck with your speeding tickets

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Good luck man but that shouldn't be a very tough win. I'm 6'5 260on an 07, my buddys 5'10 180-190 on an 07 r1 and he cannot keep up unless he drafts which means he's already behind me LOL. But good luck. I've raced him stock, and now -1+1, a&r baffles w/ cat eliminator, just a map that I found that seems decent and he just keeps getting smaller in my mirrors. Have fun though, and careful with them police, they seem to be out in packs lately.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The '08 already has lower gears in the transmission and rear sprocket vs. Gen 1&2. You can tweak and lower the gears all you want but my bet is it will slow you down - unless you're trying to get a quicker 1/8 mile time or create a cool stunt bike.

Source: Motorcyclist Magazine http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fi...fications.html

Clutch/Transmission
Inside the transmission, the first, fourth and fifth gear ratios have been lowered slightly for quicker acceleration. This, coupled with a one-tooth-larger rear sprocket (final drive is now 17/41, compared to 17/40), makes acceleration even more immediate, especially in the lower gears.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dude I'm killing R1's with stock gearing flat out top speed. Power commander and two bro's slip-on. Went to a 16 and still was not a problem at WOT. Went back to a 17 front and a 43 rear and have not yet really rode the bike but I'm sure it is fine. R1's look better hands down and I really like them too but I think the Kawi has a bit more on top then all the rest of them. Hell maybe all the rest of them put together IDK. lol Well good luck with your speeding tickets
thanks more than likeylike going to need it haha:lol:

Good luck man but that shouldn't be a very tough win. I'm 6'5 260on an 07, my buddys 5'10 180-190 on an 07 r1 and he cannot keep up unless he drafts which means he's already behind me LOL. But good luck. I've raced him stock, and now -1+1, a&r baffles w/ cat eliminator, just a map that I found that seems decent and he just keeps getting smaller in my mirrors. Have fun though, and careful with them police, they seem to be out in packs lately.
hmmm...are you sure he knows how to ride...how bout you see if you can switch bikes and see if its the same story...and :+1: on them po po there everywhere these days....

The '08 already has lower gears in the transmission and rear sprocket vs. Gen 1&2. You can tweak and lower the gears all you want but my bet is it will slow you down - unless you're trying to get a quicker 1/8 mile time or create a cool stunt bike.

Source: Motorcyclist Magazine http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fi...fications.html

Clutch/Transmission
Inside the transmission, the first, fourth and fifth gear ratios have been lowered slightly for quicker acceleration. This, coupled with a one-tooth-larger rear sprocket (final drive is now 17/41, compared to 17/40), makes acceleration even more immediate, especially in the lower gears.

well....compared to my results taking off the 16t sprocket and using stock i was able to keep and stated to catch up to a 2008 R1....he said he ways 173....he pulled me and then once we got to 136mph i started reeling him in....i was very impressed....with the 94lbs pounds difference i was amazed he probably had 10 bikes on me but then i started gaining up:) we only got to about 4th gear

Rich

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
All I can say is NO YAMAHA R1 HAS YET TO EVEN SEE WHAT MY BIKE LOOKS LIKE!! That's every type of race from roll-on's, launches, track, street anything!!

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All I can say is NO YAMAHA R1 HAS YET TO EVEN SEE WHAT MY BIKE LOOKS LIKE!! That's every type of race from roll-on's, launches, track, street anything!!
hmmm...typically these races are from a roll on....when dead stop it may be just that i have a lil more experience from a dead stop or what not but i have no trouble staying in front at all....its just the pesky rolls on that is bothersome...i remember talking with you a lil bit about gearing and exhaust...what did you finally go with exhaust wise...gut the headers?

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Gutted headers and found a fmf apex slip on for cheap up at a local dealership!! Sounds bloody nice. Yeah launching is all about seat time and skill, not just anyone can say there rock solid but I hold my own. I just moved back my gearing to 17/41 too, last weekend riding only got in about 2 races at the spot and cops came, but I won both and didnt top out before I got to the finsh. Moving my gearing back helped a lot this past weekend.

Roll ons in my book is about the machine and takes no skill other then power shifting LOL. All I can say is in a roll on right be for we take off I always jump my revs then slip the clutch so its high in my power band, always helps getting a good jump!!

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went +1 in the back and taking off from a stop is much better...
I've been think about only changing the rear...did u notice additional pull or increase in torque feeling in all gears or just the lower Gears??

...way too many variables. This won't prove anything or end any debate.

Have fun, though.
And what are these variables?

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
No matter what the factory puts on it, guys are gonna change it. Take a look over on the Ducati forums, guys with 1098R's, a bike that basically comes with every goodie you can buy, guys still go crazy spending cash and changing things on the bike. Men are not just ones to leave things as they are, we have to tinker with them and tailor them to our needs and wants. Aint it great!:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
540 Posts
same here, I have yet to lose to an R1 and my bike has stock gearing. From my experience it seems that we are pretty even from a dead stop up until 3rd gear. Once I hit 3rd, they start falling behind. By the time I hit 6th, they are about 8 bike lengths behind me.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
...And what are these variables?
If I read correctly, you're gonna find out if the bike pulls harder by racing someone. There aren't any variables there? I don't care how good you are, a human can't repeatedly do the same thing good enough to accurately test something like this.

The way to accurately determine this would be to use a dyno and get the "driving force" graphs that SR does in bike comparos.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i went to a 16 tooth in the front ,because i had to rev up the engine plenty to get it to not bog down ,kind of like a motorcross bike for the street, the 16 tooth has much more torque , great for taking off ,but on the other hand its reving notably higher at the same speed ,then i kind of miss the 17 ,but at least its in the snappy power band way more often , it had to have lost some of the top end speed , how much i dont know ,there are cops every 5 miles here . and i dont even have cycle endorsment -oops! ,

·
Registered
454 Posts

Clutch/Transmission

so explain how lowering the gearing ratio could make your bike accelerate slower?

·
Registered
156 Posts
so explain how lowering the gearing ratio could make your bike accelerate slower?
It's like riding a bike. If you have the leg power of Hershel Walker and think you can beat Lance Armstrong, you want higher gears on your bike than his.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts