Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:sad: I am sad to announce this, and its not true to my nature, but this stereo install has me frustrated, pissed off, and just plain sad that i can't get a stupid freakin wire through a door. Fuckin car has so many damn wires and they are bound so tightly and put in every nook and cranny. On top of that, it has poured here since friday and NOT STOPPED, until this morning i went to take a piss and lo and behold it had stopped, so instead of going back to bed i raced outside to start, not 20min later and its raining again. I don't know if the man upstairs is saying something, but i am going to shop around to get it installed, definitly not at best buy. Was recommended RPM Sounds if anyone has heard of them. So to all you stereo boomers out there, to install all 4 componet speakers, run new wiring, install amp kit and run wiring from head unit to amp and install capacitor, how much should it run. I supposidly have everything according to crutchfield, but i am sure i am missing something. I have already put together, the head unit trim and adaptor, put the sub in the box and wired it. I mean i know how to do this crap, i am just out of time and patience. Oh well, time to get back to half life 2!!

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Don't blame ya'! Sometimes that shiot is a real PITA! I should've stopped screwing with mine in my truck when could'nt get the damn door panel off to put in aftermarket spkrs but noooo! I ended up breaking the plastic completely in half :BangHead: I got the damn spkrs in though!

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Rick is there anyway you could use the factory wiring?? If your not running too much power it should work just fine. Couple of splices and you are home free.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well maybe, but i am running 70 watts to each componet speaker, and these aren't $50 cheapo speakers so i figured i am gonna do it right, i always try to do it right the first time and not "wish" i had do it the better way later.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
RickRoush03 said:
well maybe, but i am running 70 watts to each componet speaker, and these aren't $50 cheapo speakers so i figured i am gonna do it right, i always try to do it right the first time and not "wish" i had do it the better way later.
Yeah me too, but you might give it a try and see if that works for now. If you aren't satisfied later, you could maybe ask a stereo shop to just do that for ya', save you some dough.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
rocketracermike said:
put a new stero in my truck and when i saw how much wire there was. I just took it and have a shop put it in. a lot less headache.
:+1: Nowadays with airbags and computers,if you hit the wrong wire, poof! End up costing a whole lot more!

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, somehow i dont have turn signals right now, never knew how much you need them! yeah, i spent enough on this thing, first time ever having an upgraded stereo besides my mach 460 in the stang which sounds ok.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Sometimes best to let a "pro" do it. If nothing else if something goes wrong, hopefully he'll stand behind his work.
Word of warning:
Check out the shop, and the specific installer. Check with the BBB. There are some shady shops and some shady characters in excellent shops. Some will let you watch if you ask. Some won't (insurance reasons-legit). Ask to see some completed installs. If you don't feel comfy, don't do it. Also, make sure you give them only the keys needed, not all of your keys. I know of cases where copies of home keys were made, they already have your home address....

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Hey man I did car sterio for allllong time and I have a shirt that sais "Freinds dont let friends intall car sterio"

Air bag= Dont mess with shit in Yellow loom.

Dimmer behind the radio and if you tag that wire wrong well theres 80 bucks

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
sczx10r said:
Hey man I did car sterio for allllong time and I have a shirt that sais "Freinds dont let friends intall car sterio"

Air bag= Dont mess with shit in Yellow loom.

Dimmer behind the radio and if you tag that wire wrong well theres 80 bucks
holy shit!. I'm glad i spent the $50.00 on the install.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hey man, I've sold and installed high end equip. for 10 yrs. If you are only going to run 70 watts a piece, than changing the wire is absolutely negligable. If a sound listening machine (RTA mic.) cannot hear the difference you sure as hell aren't. If you were running 350+ watts or trying to run subs through small wire it could be an issue, but not even kinda with 70 watts RMS.

My .02$

Mark

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok, you fuggers have inspired me to rise again, i am heading back to the garage, wish me luck!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
:+1: I NEVER leave more keys then I have to and NEVER leave your correct home address. leave an old work address of just dont put one.

you'll probably be ok using your factory wireing. It will keep it a lot easier for you also. Just plug the new speakers in. When I upgraded my doors to eclipse componenst..thats what I did. Remember, its not what the speakers can handle, its how much you'll actually be putting to them.
if all your doing is a factory upgrade to the speakers...then you'll be ok.

When you start running amps to it, then you might want to start looking into it. I've put a new deck in mine and new components in the doors...and still use the factory harness. SOOO much less time spent.

hope that helps. I'll go read that other thread and see if I can off any more ideas.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, I finished doing all 4 doors. Now this just isn't a speaker upgrade, i am putting in an amp with 70 watts to each speaker, and a sub thats at 420 watts. the componets are polk momo's, i wired them up, enlayed the rear tweeters in the door, looks really sweet, and buttoned the doors back up. checked that nothing rubbed and all switches in the doors etc worked like before. the sub is a dvc infinity perfect 10". should sound pretty sweet overall. i hope the factory wiring isn't going to be the shortfall.

now i have to run the speaker wires to the amp, mount the amp, capacitor, and run the amp kit from the battery to the rear, then install the head unit and putt it all back together. If it doesn't rain tues, i think i'll have it done my friday i hope.

anyone else have any ideas/thoughts while i am in the mist of this battle.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
RickRoush03 said:
Ok, I finished doing all 4 doors. Now this just isn't a speaker upgrade, i am putting in an amp with 70 watts to each speaker, and a sub thats at 420 watts. the componets are polk momo's, i wired them up, enlayed the rear tweeters in the door, looks really sweet, and buttoned the doors back up. checked that nothing rubbed and all switches in the doors etc worked like before. the sub is a dvc infinity perfect 10". should sound pretty sweet overall. i hope the factory wiring isn't going to be the shortfall.

now i have to run the speaker wires to the amp, mount the amp, capacitor, and run the amp kit from the battery to the rear, then install the head unit and putt it all back together. If it doesn't rain tues, i think i'll have it done my friday i hope.

anyone else have any ideas/thoughts while i am in the mist of this battle.
Sounds like a sweet system Rick! One thing I learned the hard way was to solder the connections wherever possible, after getting it to sound good, the last thing you want to do is to have to open it all back up again!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts