Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive been doing some more looking around and believe some zx7r had a hydraulic clutch, but i dont know if they are any lighter then a cable clutch anyway!!!
my old man has an fjr1300 might just steal it of his bike!!! not sure how im going to hook it up down at the crankcase!!!!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Whoa there BD, somebody here has put a hydraulic clutch on a 10R, but its not a bike!

I have a hydraulic clutch system that I use in the car and it works very well. I didn't want a cable system and wanted a normal foot pedal. I used an el-cheapo steel slave cylinder (I think from a subaru) but you could use a wilwood push/pull cylinder pretty easily I think. You only need about 1/2" of movement at the end of the clutch lever on the motor.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Whoa there BD, somebody here has put a hydraulic clutch on a 10R, but its not a bike!

I have a hydraulic clutch system that I use in the car and it works very well. I didn't want a cable system and wanted a normal foot pedal. I used an el-cheapo steel slave cylinder (I think from a subaru) but you could use a wilwood push/pull cylinder pretty easily I think. You only need about 1/2" of movement at the end of the clutch lever on the motor.
then no one has still yet to put one on a bike so i'm still correct. :mrgreen:

BD

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,662 Posts
Just curious why you would want a hydraulic clutch on the -10R? They are heavier systems than a cable equivolent and the feedback is generally not as good as a cable setup. Most OEM's ditched the hydraulic setups in favor of cable-operated clutches for a reason.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
clutch

what i meant is lighter to pull in, i have a problem with my left wrist i cant pull the clutch after riding for an hour or so!! not a real problem was just curious myself!!! i see the zx14 have a hydraulic clutch setup was looking at how it works on the crankcase, looks to much trouble to even think about doing it!!! unless you can get a unit that has push pull system on the line!! but again never seen that before. my oid man rides a fjr1300 with hydraulic clutch and its so much llighter just like using the front brake!!! but anyway thought id still look into it a bit more!!!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Just curious why you would want a hydraulic clutch on the -10R? They are heavier systems than a cable equivolent and the feedback is generally not as good as a cable setup. Most OEM's ditched the hydraulic setups in favor of cable-operated clutches for a reason.
I figured the reason was to save money. :dontknow:

·
Registered
363 Posts
then no one has still yet to put one on a bike so i'm still correct. :mrgreen:

BD
He didn't specify bike, so I'm right:eek:ccasion1

I think they did it to save weight, and it probably is cheaper too. No cable to bleed either.

My application is in a car, and even though hand clutch levers have been used in cars, mine was already set up with a pedal for the old zx10 which had a hydraulic system. It was relatively easy to adapt a slave cylinder to the new motor so it was a no brainer really. The clutch feel is just fine through the pedal.

I'm not sure what sort of structure is around the clutch lever so I can't say for sure how hard it would be to put a slave on the bike. I'm sure given enough time and money it could be done.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
He didn't specify bike, so I'm right:eek:ccasion1

I think they did it to save weight, and it probably is cheaper too. No cable to bleed either.

My application is in a car, and even though hand clutch levers have been used in cars, mine was already set up with a pedal for the old zx10 which had a hydraulic system. It was relatively easy to adapt a slave cylinder to the new motor so it was a no brainer really. The clutch feel is just fine through the pedal.

I'm not sure what sort of structure is around the clutch lever so I can't say for sure how hard it would be to put a slave on the bike. I'm sure given enough time and money it could be done.
Are you ex911 on Barf?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts