Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Monday everybody. I have gen 1 and its making quiet a bit of drive train noise. I had a valve adjustment about 10k miles ago and Im currently at 38,000 miles on the bike. I ride about 500 plus mile a week of mostly highway and do not race the bike. I am not sure if the cam tensioner has ever been replaced so with the being said... should I go with the stock or the APE manual one? What are the benefits of either one? Also where do you guys source your OEM parts from since the OEM one is about 110 dollars and the APE one is 52 dollars? Thanks everyone.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,542 Posts
The OEM is not hydraulic. It's a spring loaded mechanical one. It should serve you fine as is. It's probably just in between ratchets at this point which is causing more noise. You can take it out and follow the procedure to reset it our leave it alone for the time being until the chain stretches a bit more for it to adjust. It shouldn't need replacing.

The manual one will work if you want to make more precise and more frequent adjustments though.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I understand the principal of a manual adjuster but how much pressure is enough, hand tight folks say but my & others sense of grip is probably different surely when people say back it off when you here a whining noise could be causing guide damage?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The OEM is not hydraulic. It's a spring loaded mechanical one. It should serve you fine as is. It's probably just in between ratchets at this point which is causing more noise. You can take it out and follow the procedure to reset it our leave it alone for the time being until the chain stretches a bit more for it to adjust. It shouldn't need replacing.

The manual one will work if you want to make more precise and more frequent adjustments though.

Thank you. I learn something new everyday. Ill definitely try the reset process before going any further.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Thank you. I learn something new everyday. Ill definitely try the reset process before going any further.
if you gentle slacken of the two retaining bolts on the tensioner body a half turn in turns until you here a little click (the plunger moving out another notch) then re tighten them>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts